Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Streetball Forum

Streetball Forum Streetball Message Board - street basketball and streetball forum

Old 04-08-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Venom
Serious playground baller

Venom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat cool
Default Swaggin, I need your help

I'm 5'9", 145 lbs, and can reach 2-3 inches below the rim, both off of 1 foot and 2 feet. What can I do to get up there? I feel that my jump is lacking explosiveness, if that makes sense. What exercises can I do finally get up there? I have access to a weight-room for an hour, 3 times a week.

I'm currently a freshman in highschool. Do you think I'd be able to grab rim by sophomore year?

Last edited by Venom : 04-08-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:27 PM   #2
carpevicis
Decent playground baller

carpevicis has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Swaggin, I need your help

Check out the "by july 3rd next year, i will be dunking.." thread, he's helped me out with a lot of stuff and there's plenty of info there about increasing your vertical. Another one is the "training plan" thread, he's helped me there as well.

You can definitely do it by next year, 2-3 inches below the rim, you might even be able to do that in a couple months. What's hard is not to train, but not to overtrain. If dunking is your sole goal, I wouldn't bet against doing it in ONE month. But you'd have to forget about basketball... and start dieting.

Here's the science: to jump your highest, you need to be light and powerful. So you'd need to eliminate all unnecessary fat and muscle and just jump. But if you don't want to go that intense than 3 months will easily get it done if you do it right.

Just ask if you have any questions.
carpevicis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Yea I think by the time you are a sophomore you will at least be grabbing rim comfortably. Dunking? Probably not. It's hard to say but you will need at least 10 inches... and that will be barely dunking... so you have a long road ahead of you. The good thing for you is that you are still growing... so you may get taller and longer which will help, and also your body will be getting stronger on it's own.

Like Carpe said tho... check out the dunk thread, or the my vertical thread... there is a ton of info in there about increasing your vertical including exercises you can do. I can help you out with some of the specifics tho including sets and reps.

If you continue to do the workouts throughout HS... then by the time you are a senior, you will be dunking. I can guarantee that. How tall are you though? Do you know what your reach is?
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 09:58 PM   #4
Venom
Serious playground baller

Venom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat coolVenom is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaggin916
Yea I think by the time you are a sophomore you will at least be grabbing rim comfortably. Dunking? Probably not. It's hard to say but you will need at least 10 inches... and that will be barely dunking... so you have a long road ahead of you. The good thing for you is that you are still growing... so you may get taller and longer which will help, and also your body will be getting stronger on it's own.

Like Carpe said tho... check out the dunk thread, or the my vertical thread... there is a ton of info in there about increasing your vertical including exercises you can do. I can help you out with some of the specifics tho including sets and reps.

If you continue to do the workouts throughout HS... then by the time you are a senior, you will be dunking. I can guarantee that. How tall are you though? Do you know what your reach is?

Thanks Swaggin and carpevicis. I'm 5'9" with a 7'6" reach.
Venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 10:07 PM   #5
Swaggin916
Enter the Dragic

Swaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this boardSwaggin916 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom
Thanks Swaggin and carpevicis. I'm 5'9" with a 7'6" reach.

Sorry forgot that you already mentioned your height. 7'6 reach is solid though you can dunk with that... you'll need right around a 40 inch vert to do it comfortably and that's doable. Your reach can grow as well so who knows you may not need to get that high when it's all said and done.
Swaggin916 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: