Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-09-2013, 01:33 AM   #16
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Vitamin D3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
it's a hot topic. nobody in either nutrition, medical or science knows exactly how much to recommend or to take.

all we know is that quantifiable loss of D3 leads to problems, although that's not the same thing as saying that deliberate regular solar exposure or vitamin D3 mega-dosing, etc. are the right solutions, either.

it's a hot topic, and herds of agitated sheep are stampeding in all directions.

personally i feel that if our ancestors did it with regularity (sun exposure), then the relationship is probably quite solid. it's just that, the sun today is not the same one our ancestors kindly developed under.

(in before shakehand-lover, who will probably rape my post with affection)

:)

True. It's not an exact science yet.

However, I wonder what our life expectancy would be if people spent a little more time out in this sun that's actually inferior to our ancestors' and got themselves to stated adequate Vitamin D levels.

D3 intake has also been linked with mood elevation and counteracting depression, so sun-deprived states like Washington and Oregon may actually see suicide rates fall if everyone up there were popping 1k a day.

Last edited by HardwoodLegend : 04-09-2013 at 01:37 AM.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #17
gigantes
A piece of fluff

gigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablegigantes is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

are the studies on the effects on D3 intake particularly well-accepted at this point?

i'm not an expert of any kind, but it did seem sort of like the usual deal where maybe 25% within a scientific discipline get reasonably intrigued by some new research and the media in effect paints a picture that there's some kind of new consensus or whatever. *shrug*

i can't remember if full-spectrum lighting stimulates D3 production or whether it's only from UV. pretty tough way to take one's medicine if it's the latter, but if it's the former, people could get those special bulbs and stick 'em in their sockets. you know. :P
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #18
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

HardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected posterHardwoodLegend is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
are the studies on the effects on D3 intake particularly well-accepted at this point?

i'm not an expert of any kind, but it did seem sort of like the usual deal where maybe 25% within a scientific discipline get reasonably intrigued by some new research and the media in effect paints a picture that there's some kind of new consensus or whatever. *shrug*

i can't remember if full-spectrum lighting stimulates D3 production or whether it's only from UV. pretty tough way to take one's medicine if it's the latter, but if it's the former, people could get those special bulbs and stick 'em in their sockets. you know. :P

It continues to gain more consensus. Supplement companies are starting to up their dose of D3 in multi-vitamins (GNC was the first I personally saw to do it with their 'Mega Men' line). Most recently, the makers of Centrum, released a 1,000IU D3 capsule to go alongside Centrum.

As for sunlight exposure, 10-30 non-burning minutes in the sun's UV rays stimulates D3 production. Artificial light won't cut it.

http://health.howstuffworks.com/well...d-from-sun.htm

http://www.thebodyblues.com/light.html

Last edited by HardwoodLegend : 04-09-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #19
hateraid
Is it in you?

hateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterhateraid is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I don't lend to alot of internet research because most of them are just hypothesis. Most internet information has a hidden agenda that consumers and people doing "research" are not aware of. Take it from personal experience

If you are interested in taking more vitamin D, you will lend yourself to the research that leads to excessive amounts of intake. Is it safe? Alot of variance. Is it neccessary? Not really. Point is, if you're intent on something, research will lean towards your point of view.

This is something I've experienced on a retail level. A customer would come in looking for a specific product. Let's take for example something universal like protein. I'll make it more specific and say pea protein. He'll ask me my opinion on it and I'll normally ask what's your goal, and what do you want to use it for. No matter what I say, the customer would already be sold on taking pea protein because he's invested interest in the product, he's intent on using it, he's done ample amounts of research strictly on the product and all it's benefits. He's not going to listen to me unless I agree with him. Do I persoanlly think pea protein is the bees knees? HELL NO. He's not going to listen to the fact that pea protein has a poor BV, or that it digests poorly, or it's hard to mask the taste. This will only aggreivate him and lead to debate or even an argument.

Point is I'm not here trying to debate nor do I believe I am the be all and end all of supplement information. I just go by what I've been educated and trained in. Sure, there may be studies on taking 2000> IUs of vitamin D3, but the majority of documented information, nutritional references, hell even my Univesity of Florida textbook will conclude that the normal adult daily intake is 1000 IUs, 25% through supplemental form. We do aquire alot from daily diet and regular sunlight, which we tend to under estimate.

BTW, kudos Hardwood Legend. I appreciate all your interest in the supplement industry. Thank you for bringing up these threads. I'd participate more but I really do get very busy. Right now I'm packing for Vancouver to attend a Health Convention this weekend
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #20
shlver
코비=GOAT

shlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops postershlver is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I did some research and vit d deficiency is actually an epidemic.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16251641
Vitamin d in treatment of fibromyalgia. In some instances, patients have been "cured" and have come off their analgesics, cymbalta, etc. Although this has caused significant improvement in 42 out of the 61 patients in this study, do not take vitamin d blindly. The best is get your serum calcium levels checked by your doctor and adjust intake accordingly. There are a number of health concerns like hyper/hypothyroidism that have to be ruled out before treating vitamin d deficiency alone.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21894355
shlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #21
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

rufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablerufuspaul is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I take 3,000 IU during the late fall and winter and during the work week when I know I'll be inside all day. I don't take any on the weekends during warmer months.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #22
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateraid
I don't lend to alot of internet research because most of them are just hypothesis. Most internet information has a hidden agenda that consumers and people doing "research" are not aware of. Take it from personal experience

If you are interested in taking more vitamin D, you will lend yourself to the research that leads to excessive amounts of intake. Is it safe? Alot of variance. Is it neccessary? Not really. Point is, if you're intent on something, research will lean towards your point of view.

This is something I've experienced on a retail level. A customer would come in looking for a specific product. Let's take for example something universal like protein. I'll make it more specific and say pea protein. He'll ask me my opinion on it and I'll normally ask what's your goal, and what do you want to use it for. No matter what I say, the customer would already be sold on taking pea protein because he's invested interest in the product, he's intent on using it, he's done ample amounts of research strictly on the product and all it's benefits. He's not going to listen to me unless I agree with him. Do I persoanlly think pea protein is the bees knees? HELL NO. He's not going to listen to the fact that pea protein has a poor BV, or that it digests poorly, or it's hard to mask the taste. This will only aggreivate him and lead to debate or even an argument.

Point is I'm not here trying to debate nor do I believe I am the be all and end all of supplement information. I just go by what I've been educated and trained in. Sure, there may be studies on taking 2000> IUs of vitamin D3, but the majority of documented information, nutritional references, hell even my Univesity of Florida textbook will conclude that the normal adult daily intake is 1000 IUs, 25% through supplemental form. We do aquire alot from daily diet and regular sunlight, which we tend to under estimate.

BTW, kudos Hardwood Legend. I appreciate all your interest in the supplement industry. Thank you for bringing up these threads. I'd participate more but I really do get very busy. Right now I'm packing for Vancouver to attend a Health Convention this weekend

I get where you're coming from. Honestly, I'd rather not have to take another supplement, but I'm convinced that it's probably most beneficial. I don't base it all on research but rather anecdotal evidence too. I notice that I generally feel better when absorbing more sunlight, and it's a source of energy that both plants and animals can thrive upon. When I'm not getting enough exposure to it, I'm led to believe that D3 supplementation is essential. And, the fact that the sun stimulates the body to produce as many IU's as it does within a short time frame leads me to believe that significant dosages in the 1K-5K range are helpful and not dangerous.

I'm probably going to adjust my intake though to 2000IU daily under all circumstances. I already get 1000 from my multi, so I'll probably just add another 1K through an additional capsule just to maintain optimal levels.

As for pea protein, I read that it has a good digestion rate. Maybe when it's compared to something like whey isolate it falls short, but why would you say it digests poorly altogether? It's not a good alternative for someone who wants to go a vegan route? I only ask because it's an ingredient in one of the breakfast cereals I sometimes eat.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: