Page 1 of 13 123411 ... LastLast

Default French Open 2013

French Open starts on Sunday the 26th. Nadal going in as the solid favorite after winning 5 clay court titles this year. Djokovic is the #1 seed but he has lost early in the last two tournaments.

Nadal and Djokovic are on the same 1/2 of the draw, so they could meet in the semi-finals. Berdych has to face Gael Monfils in the 1st round.

Myself and a friend have jointly placed a $50 bet on David Ferrer to win. It will pay $1,287. He is in Federer's 1/2 of the draw and was two points away from defeating Nadal a couple weeks ago. He's never won a major but I could see him pulling this off, especially if Nadal/Djoker lose before the Final.

Last edited by enayes; 05-26-2013 at 12:53 AM.

Default Re: French Open 2013

Not a fan of the French Open, or Nadal... but I will probably watch a few matches. I really don't see anyone beating Nadal, and as you already stated, Djoker has looked terrible the past few weeks.

nadal has been dominant in his comeback. hopefully he keeps it up, i couldnt watch wimbledon or US open because it was missing the classic matches that nadal brings. he was so close in last years australian, and french he just owns the clay.

Nadal has looked great but he's not invincible. Djoker beat him in a clay court final this year, Ferrer was two points away one match, Ernests Gulbis took a set off Nadal 6-1 last week. And I believe Nadal had a few 3-set matches while in the past he has breezed through. Of course the majors are now best of 5 which usually only helps Nadal as he's one of the most fit on tour. I'm a huge Nadal fan but I'd like to see someone else win it this year.

High School Varsity 6th Man entropy35's Avatar

Nadal is favorite but I think Djokovic has a good chance of winning this year.

Yawn fest, must be Euros.

   

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    Yawn fest, must be Euros.
    you mean, just like that vapid, pointless comment?

im worried about djoker... dunno what's up with him, lately. maybe he's burned out a bit, fallen off his diet, or has some personal stuff going on. must be tough sometimes being the #1 sportsman for your nation, which is something i don't think nadal quite has to do. although murray, yes. it can be a hell of a lot of pressure, i'm sure.

i hate clay, so it's hard to get terribly excited about this one. as long as serena doesn't win i'll be pretty-much satisfied. would definitely like to see the djoker get his slam, tho...

There's nothing wrong with djoker. We just got spoiled by fed. That level of dominance was unprecedented in the history of tennis(and to be honest if it wasn't for fed, nadal would be remembered as one of the most dominant players ever. No one but prime fed wins all the time.

Speaking of which I think fed wins this and I think it's probably his next to last major title

   

it has nothing to do with federer.

anytime a clear #1 in any sport has an uncharacteristically bad stretch, questions are going to be raised. both things are normal, and i'm sure it happened to fed, as well.

NUGGETS ALL THE WAY Mr Clutch Melo's Avatar

Should be named Nadal Open soon. The most boring of the Masters IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    it has nothing to do with federer.

anytime a clear #1 in any sport has an uncharacteristically bad stretch, questions are going to be raised. both things are normal, and i'm sure it happened to fed, as well.

I wouldn't call Djokovic a clear #1. Maybe in 2011, but not now. He does have a large lead in ranking points right now but Nadal has earned more points THIS year, he's having the best year out of everyone having won 6 tourneys already.

It's not a huge surprise when Djokovic loses, it was when Federer was in his prime and playing on any surface other than clay.

   

please.

and it's not that he lost but the -way- he lost those times. like a reversion to his form from years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Clutch Melo
    Should be named Nadal Open soon. The most boring of the Masters IMO.
    It`s a Grand Slam

Nadull is the favourite, but hopefully he will be defeaten

Monfils defeated #6 seed Berdych in a 5 set match. Not a huge surprise, everyone knew Berdych had a tough draw.

Nadal gets through his 1st round match in 4 sets, losing the opening set 4-6. I didn't watch the match but it seemed his opponent played a great match.

Ferrer and Federer won their 1st round matches in straight sets yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by gigantes
    please.

and it's not that he lost but the -way- he lost those times. like a reversion to his form from years ago.
    What I'm saying is, it's par for the course. There have been guys with huge years ala 2011 djoker but only fed has ever been able to stay anywhere near that level for an extended period of time.