Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Skechers GOrun 2. Hailed the shoe of the future.

It doesn't promote a midfoot strike, that's a marketing phrase. It's only suitable for runners with a midfoot strike, that's a very different thing. If you are used to a heel strike and start using these shoes there is one thing they definitely promote, and that's a calf or tendon injury.

Also, there is no conclusive proof whatsoever that a midfoot strike is better or more healthy than a heel strike. Both have their benefits and negatives, it's much more important to get your stride correct. Most professional long distance runners heel strike: it's not slower, it's not unhealthier.
    Last edited by LJJ; 03-04-2013 at 03:23 PM.

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StroShow4
    Wouldn't be caught dead in a pair of Sketchers. Would rather go barefoot.
    THIS.

When I first started midfoot/forefoot striking in my nike frees and fivefingers my feet, calves and legs were sore. For the first time in a long time I was actually getting a workout. I couldn't tell you how long it had been since my calves were sore after a run, but it was a great feeling.

I agree that everyone is different and many people do heel strike effectively, but I think everyone should try midfoot striking. It may change your outlook on running like it did mine.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

What kinda feminine shits is these?

Quote Originally Posted by enayes
    When I first started midfoot/forefoot striking in my nike frees and fivefingers my feet, calves and legs were sore. For the first time in a long time I was actually getting a workout. I couldn't tell you how long it had been since my calves were sore after a run, but it was a great feeling.

I agree that everyone is different and many people do heel strike effectively, but I think everyone should try midfoot striking. It may change your outlook on running like it did mine.
    Whatever. Don't say shit like this:

"I wouldn't call it a fad. It's been proven that heel striking is terrible for your entire body [100% false], so shoes that promote a mid/forefoot strike are here to stay.

I'm not saying they're for everybody but these type of shoes provide a much more effective [very rarely true] and safer [very rarely true, and in the majority of the cases the opposite] workout."

Always thought sketchers were a female shoe...maybe that's just me?

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Also, there is no conclusive proof whatsoever that a midfoot strike is better or more healthy than a heel strike. Both have their benefits and negatives, it's much more important to get your stride correct. Most professional long distance runners heel strike: it's not slower, it's not unhealthier.
    Try heel striking in bare feet. That is all the proof you need that a midfoot strike is the way the human body evolved to run.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    It doesn't promote a midfoot strike, that's a marketing phrase. It's only suitable for runners with a midfoot strike, that's a very different thing. If you are used to a heel strike and start using these shoes there is one thing they definitely promote, and that's a calf or tendon injury.

LJJ is correct.
    Also, weight should be considered. Some DO need cushioning.

As for these shoes being the future, Adidas Boost technology seems to be the most importante "new thing" now.

Certified ISHiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan Tabak
    Always thought sketchers were a female shoe...maybe that's just me?
    They are a female shoe.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by chains5000
    LJJ is correct.
    Also, weight should be considered. Some DO need cushioning.

As for these shoes being the future, Adidas Boost technology seems to be the most importante "new thing" now.
    No, he's not correct.

Just because you're fat doesn't mean you can't run properly. You might need more cushioning than a pair of Vibrams, but you can still midfoot strike.

In fact, overweight people would get more benefit from a midfoot strike than a skinny person. Skinny people can get away with repeated heel striking because there isn't a whole lot of force placed on the lower legs in the first place. Fat people need to spread that force out on the appropriate muscles and other soft tissue structures.

LJJ you sound like you are a bit out of your element.

Nike created the first cushioned running shoe and it took the market by storm. They were promoting a heel strike technigue that was previously impossible to do in thin soled shoes/barefoot running.

It had been PROVEN that cushoined shoes INCREASE the amount of shock on your body. They do absolutley nothing to help. Do some research.

Nike even ADMITTED this and tried to rectify the situation by promoting their new Nike Free shoes, with the slogan "Run barefoot".

Heel striking is a method of running that was CREATED by the shoe industry and it has done nothing but cause more injuries to runners around the world.

Thankfully people are starting to realize this and if the trend continues, running related injuries should start to decrease.
    Last edited by enayes; 03-04-2013 at 08:33 PM.

Local High School Star intrinsic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by enayes
    LJJ you sound like you are a bit out of your element.

Nike created the first cushioned running shoe and it took the market by storm. They were promoting a heel strike technigue that was previously impossible to do in thin soled shoes/barefoot running.

It had been PROVEN that cushoined shoes INCREASE the amount of shock on your body. They do absolutley nothing to help. Do some research.

Nike even ADMITTED this and tried to rectify the situation by promoting their new Nike Free shoes, with the slogan "Run barefoot".

Heel striking is a method of running that was CREATED by the shoe industry and it has done nothing but cause more injuries to runners around the world.

Thankfully people are starting to realize this and if the trend continues, running related injuries should start to decrease.
    None of what you wrote here is proof. It is good marketing.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    Why? I have always worn Skechers as my dress shoes for going out. Comfortable and stylish.

Quote Originally Posted by intrinsic
    None of what you wrote here is proof. It is good marketing.
    What’s up with heelstrike?
    Jun 15, 2010 by Jeremy
    Why you probably shouldn’t strike on your heel
    Many runners are under the impression that striking on the heel is the way to go. While many runners certainly do heel-strike and running shoes seem to be geared around this concept, it doesn’t seem to be the way of the most efficient runners. So why does everyone heelstrike and why is it such a popular notion in the running world today?
    An ex-Nike employee told me that back when Nike first introduced the AIR sole into their running shoes (something that Nike wear testers at the time were STRONGLY OPPOSED to), the Air unit was only available in the heel. Nike went around the country teaching people to “take advantage of the cushioning” by landing on their heels. In this way, a new generation of high school runners, coaches, etc. were mislead into thinking that striking on the heel was the correct place to strike. Unfortunately, this myth is still popular today. In all actuality, it was just the most convenient place to “take advantage” of running shoe technology at the time—runners would have been better off without heel striking or shoes with big heels that encouraged it.
    So where should my foot strike while running one might ask? The answer is underneath your body, which is usually pretty close to mid-foot for the average person. It may be a slight forefoot strike for some or a very slight heelstrike for others, but it should always be pretty close to midfoot. This reduces impact, saves a lot of wear and tear on the legs and knees, and puts more muscular attention on your stronger leg muscles. In short, you’ll be a more efficient, less injured, faster runner.
    Here’s a great letter written to Runner’s World on the subject:
    Is there embarrassment all round at Reebok?
    What I’m talking about is their super-duper, full-color, fold out, three-page advertisement for shoes designed for heel-strikers that is illustrated by a great picture of an athlete who is blatantly NOT a heel-striker. (September).
    Seriously. Why is the running shoe industry obsessed with heel strike? 90% of elite runners are midfoot/forefoot strikers (like the one in the ad)? Wouldn’t manufacturers better serve customers by preaching proper biomechanics, gait and form?
    Heel striking is braking. It’s what you do when you want to slow down. Heel striking is biomechanically inefficient and leads to injury. Especially when shoes are padded so much that they allow runners to (temporarily) get away with heel striking with locked knees.
    In the same issue you had what you called "Fall’s Best New Shoes". Why did you not include in your review the new Velocy (advertised page 98 in the same issue), a shoe actually designed to encourage runners to run "with gravity" and get off their heels? It is the only genuine breakthrough technology we’ve seen all year.
    Simon Martin,
    Boulder, Colorado.
    http://recordrun.blogspot.com
    Some great points were made in this letter and I hope that the running shoe industry will address the issue a bit better. Watch any race and you’ll see that the elites certainly aren’t heelstriking—why brake when you can use gravity to your advantage? For now we have some great companies like Vibram (for barefoot running), Velocy (forward momentum tech) and Inov-8 (low profile off road shoes) doing their bit to make running a bit more natural. And yes, of course we carry this great stuff at the store! If you are struggling with running or with an injury, maybe this is your answer…
    -Golden Harper
    Related Posts
    Tags
    http://runnerscorner.com/articles/heelstrike/
    Last edited by rezznor; 03-04-2013 at 11:01 PM.

I want to try these barefoot shoes for basketball. Anybody knows one that's good for lateral movement?