Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Charlotte Hornets Forum

Charlotte Hornets Forum Charlotte Hornets message board forum

Old 11-08-2006, 04:13 PM   #1
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Bobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation here
Default Ely waits for his time

Quote:
HAS PLAYED FEWER MINUTES THAN ANY OTHER BOBCAT
Ely waits for his time
Team's depth, his poor rebounding result in limited opportunities
RICK BONNELL
rbonnell@charlotteobserver.com
Melvin Ely is practiced in patience.

"My years with the Clippers were horrible. I don't think that's what's happening here," said Ely, who's played 13 minutes -- the least of any active Charlotte Bobcat this season.

"Being with the Clippers really makes you thick-skinned.''

In other words, Ely knows the drill. The Los Angeles Clippers buried him on their bench for two seasons before trading Ely to the Bobcats. It amounted to a salary dump to facilitate the Clippers' pursuit of Kobe Bryant in free agency.

Ely had a bad relationship with Clippers coach Mike Dunleavy. In Charlotte, it's better. In fact, Ely said his loyalty to coach Bernie Bickerstaff was a major factor in him returning this season, rather than taking a sign-and-trade deal that would have sent him to the Warriors.

Bickerstaff said he has no problem with Ely's performance, that somebody has to sit on a deep team. So Bickerstaff simply asked him to be ready when called.

"It's just like last year when I played sparingly at the beginning, then played a lot the rest of the season," Ely said.

"My job is to get here an hour early, stay in shape and wait for my name to be called. You have to take the bad with the good, and it's not like there's a lack of respect for what I can do.''

What he can do is score in the low post. His moves near the basket distinguish him from the other six big men on this team.

What he doesn't do so well is rebound, and that's a factor in how little he plays.

Emeka Okafor and Sean May get most of the minutes inside, and Bickerstaff has used Jake Voskuhl and Othella Harrington -- more defense-oriented players -- ahead of Ely.

The Bobcats lead the NBA in field-goal percentage defense (38.1 percent), so it's hard to argue with the results.

"I don't have an attitude. I think I can honestly say every person in this organization likes me," Ely said.

"Coach is going to do what's best for this team, and eventually I'll do what's best for me."

That would be in July, when Ely will become an unrestricted free agent. But what if the current situation stretches all season long? Is he in any danger of being forgotten next summer?

"People know what I can do," Ely replied. "When I come in, you hear (opposing) coaches yelling, `Double! Double! Double!' So I don't think my value is going down by not playing right now."

Bobcats vs. Celtics

7:30 p.m., TD Banknorth Garden

RADIO: WNMX-FM 106.1. TV: News 14.

BOBCATS UPDATE: Emeka Okafor practiced free throws for a half hour Tuesday, and it's easy to see why he'd need the work. He's 39 percent from the line.

CELTICS UPDATE: Wally Szczerbiak is averaging 24 points a game . Teams do so much to guard Paul Pierce that Szczerbiak gets a ton of open looks.

MATCH-UP TO WATCH: Paul Pierce vs. Gerald Wallace. We're talking about two of the best athletes in the league. .

BOBCATS STARTERS: G Raymond Felton, G Brevin Knight, SF Gerald Wallace, PF Emeka Okafor, C Jake Voskuhl.

CELTICS STARTERS: PG Sebastian Telfair, SG Paul Pierce, SF Wally Szczerbiak, PF Ryan Gomes, C Kendrick Perkins

Personally I would like to see Ely get some more minutes.
Bobcat4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

Me too, the guy is a great player and probably very underrated. Although I thought that the Cats acquired him from the Heat for a draft pick. Ah well, who cares.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 05:13 PM   #3
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Bobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation hereBobcat4Ever has a near all-star reputation here

He's one of the few players that still uses the hook shot.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:00 PM   #4
2LeTTeRS KD
Both teams played hard

2LeTTeRS KD has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
Me too, the guy is a great player and probably very underrated. Although I thought that the Cats acquired him from the Heat for a draft pick. Ah well, who cares.

Nope we actually traded 2 2nd rounders to the Clips to get him and Eddie House, as a part of teh deal that landed us the 2nd pick and put us in liine to get Meka.
2LeTTeRS KD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:58 PM   #5
Timmeh
Yes, I am a dick.

Timmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation hereTimmeh has a near all-star reputation here

Oh ok. Did we make a trade with the Heat at any point? Eddie House was actually one of my favorite Bobcats even though he didn't spend a lot of time there. Rush and James were some of my favorites from last year's squad.
Timmeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:58 PM   #6
Bobcat4Ever
Six Pack Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmeh
Oh ok. Did we make a trade with the Heat at any point? Eddie House was actually one of my favorite Bobcats even though he didn't spend a lot of time there. Rush and James were some of my favorites from last year's squad.

We traded Jason Kapono for Alen Anderson.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: