Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is Dwight Howard washed up from his bad back, or will he get better?

Dwight Howard is CLEARLY not the same player he has been in previous seasons. If he was older many would call him washed up. Of all the active players, he seems to have dropped off more then anybody. Howard pre-bad back could lead the Lakers to the playoffs without Kobe and Nash, they'd lose the 1st round but would make the playoffs.

Do you think Howard will ever be the same player?
    Last edited by TAZORAC; 01-01-2013 at 11:59 PM.

Default Re: Is Dwight Howard washed up from his bad back, or will he get better?

It was serious surgery. I'm going to give him some time.

I would like him to be 100.

Local High School Star Pinkhearts's Avatar

Default Re: Is Dwight Howard washed up from his bad back, or will he get better?

Isn't he averaging 18/12? His dropoff is clearly overstated by many.

The guy has been out for a year and needs time to get back to form. And he's still settling into a new city, given new teammates and 2 new coaches and systems. Give him some time, and he can get back to his best. Not that he is very far off from it statistically anyway

Local High School Star

Back injuries dont get better.Tracy McGrady.Having said that, Dwight is just not a good fit in La with what there running.

Learning to shoot layups

You're never the same after back problems. Surgery or not, good luck getting back to 100%. Don't hold your breath.

Quote Originally Posted by spiegel
    Back injuries dont get better.Tracy McGrady.Having said that, Dwight is just not a good fit in La with what there running.
    What are you talking about, his main strength is the pick and roll. They have one of the best pick and roll guards of all time in Steve Nash. He also doesn't need to be the primary focus of the offense anymore with Kobe and Pau. Orlando was a good fit because the built around him, but he fits well with LA

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkhearts
    Isn't he averaging 18/12? His dropoff is clearly overstated by many.
    Stats don't always tell the story. Yes 18/12 isn't far off from his Orlando prime but the impact clearly isn't the same watching the games. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt that his injuries are still impacting him( physically and mentally). He's also no longer the focal point, Kobe at 34 still is so not only is he not the same player, but his situation isn't the same.

Bear Chested Da Brawn STATUTORY's Avatar

athletes rarely get back 100% from a back injury

case in point Tmac

Local High School Star Vienceslav's Avatar

Nobody knows , only time will tell.
    The advances in medicine encourage me to be optimistic , case in point AP coming back from ACL and MCL and doing what he is doing on the field, but as i said above pure speculation.

i think he washes his back.

Saw a basketball once

He'll get better, but I doubt he's ever quite as mobile again. Realistically, he'd want to cut some weight, even if it means losing some muscle and strength, in order to compensate for his decreased mobility. I think that, at worse, he'll always be able to get you 10 or 12 rebounds and at least 15 or 16 points on a nightly basis, even if he loses his hops.

Back to Business

Mane dwight will be fine...... He just needs another baby momma

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TAZORAC
    Dwight Howard is CLEARLY not the same player he has been in previous seasons. If he was older many would call him washed up. Of all the active players, he seems to have dropped off more then anybody. Howard pre-bad back could leave the Lakers to the playoffs without Kobe and Nash, they'd lose the 1st round but would make the playoffs.

Do you think Howard will ever be the same player?
    1. David Lee, GS
    2. Dwight Howard, LAL [COLOR="Red"]<----[/COLOR]
    3. Anderson Varejao, CLE
    4. Joakim Noah, CHI
    5. Al Jefferson, UTA

who is "many"?

Wonder if the Lakers will pay him that 2nd max contract (20m+ per year) at the end of the year...?

Quote Originally Posted by Teanett
    i think he washes his back.
    hope he remember to wipe front to back