Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 02-28-2008, 06:00 PM   #16
bballnoob
Local High School Star

Default Re: Heat to Chase Jose in Summer?

Quote:
some time ago I read in this forum that someone doesn't want Calderon to be several seconds stopped, bouncing the ball because, he said, he slows down the game. But he didn't realise that, while Calderon is bouncing the ball, the rest of the players are making a play to get a good position (Bosh at the low post, Parker receiving out of a screen, open triple for Bargnani...) But you have to watch all the players to apreciate this. If you only look at the player with the ball, you are losing the best of basketball.

And that is why Calderon is so good, and that is why he is better than Ford. With Calderon, the Raptors make plays. With Ford, they don't.

At least point to something different to put Ford down. I'm pretty sure the Raps move off the ball when TJ is in the game . Obviously this happens more with Calderon but it's not like this part of the offense is thrown out the window as soon as TJ comes in.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:55 AM   #17
GoldMedallist
I rule the local playground

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Now if Jose could play like he did in those recent San Antonio and Boston games then it might be a different thing. In those games he was attacking the rim aggressively and not 100% reliant on screens like he usually is. Why can't that Jose show up more often? Being a PG isn't just about passing, passing and more passing. It's making the best decision on offense and sometimes that means to be aggressive with your own offense.

Perhaps he is just getting confidence? He has been a back-up 2 years, it's first time he is an starter. Perhaps he is onlye getting confidence and improving himself.

Or maybe it's SM's fault. He always said he has been more severe with Bosh and Calderon than any other player. Maybe it's the coach who want him play less aggresive. Who knows... I think that if he can play aggresive against Boston and San Antonio (probably the 2 best defensive teams) he can probably do against worse defensive teams.
GoldMedallist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:16 AM   #18
RAPSCANWIN
Keeping the Bench Warm

Colangelo has made it clear several times that Jose is going nowhere. When he makes strong statements like that, it means he is going to match what ever is offered to Jose. Unless someone wants to totally overpays Jose. That'd be the only way we'd lose him.

If Jose has a shaky Playoffs then that could effect things too. Dont see that happening though the way he stepped up last year.

Plus do you ever get the feeling that Jose is the type of guy who would take less money to stay in Toronto cause he geniunly likes it there and has some loyalty to the organization. Wouldnt that be refreshing in todays NBA.
RAPSCANWIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 01:25 PM   #19
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
Plus do you ever get the feeling that Jose is the type of guy who would take less money to stay in Toronto cause he geniunly likes it there and has some loyalty to the organization. Wouldnt that be refreshing in todays NBA.
I don't get that feeling with ANY player.

Money talks, especially if it's going to be a player's first big contract in the NBA. For players coming off rookie deals or small ones like Calderon's, I can't blame them for going after big money if it's presented to them. I'm sure Jose's agent will also be in his ear about getting as much money as he can.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 08:02 PM   #20
FCardelle

I bet Jose would prefer playing as a starter in Miami with Wade, Marion and the first draft pick for 6 million rather than being the Ford's backup in Toronto and earn 8 million. On the contrary, I can't see why he would stay in Toronto being underpaid.

Anyway, he is a RFA, so that doesn't depend on him.
FCardelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:18 PM   #21
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Exactly. Jose doesn't have much of a choice unless he plays himself into the $10 million + range where I think the Raptors would be a bit reluctant to match. I don't think any team would give him that right now.

Also I assume he would want to get a new contract done before the Olympics. I sure wouldn't want to risk an injury without having a long-term deal place.
Old 03-01-2008, 01:52 PM   #22
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

Every interview I see with BC ..all he talks about is signing Calderon in the off season...it's the Raptors number one priority ..and thats what I think will happen.
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:25 PM   #23
Too_Cool

Hrmmm, I personally feel he would be a very, very good fit in Miami, and with him, Wade, Marion, plus top 3 they would be a Top teir team. I think Miami would be crazy not to go after Calderon and not offer him a nice 6 year deal around 55 million. They have the cap-space to over-pay for such a genuine player like Calderon, and I think Calderon will have to atleast consider moving down there. Not to mention we all know how persuasive a guy like Pat Riley can be. And who know I persoanlly would feel a guy like Garbajosa would fit in great as a veteran presence on a team with such a nice talented young core. It still could be quite the challenge to pry him from the raptors though, and they might have to offer Bryan something in a sign and trade.
Too_Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #24
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Miami has little of value that the Raptors would want though.

Wade
Their 1st pick which will be top 5.

Obviously they won't trade either to get Calderon, no team would. Calderon to Miami won't happen IMO.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:50 PM   #25
syncmaster
Learning to shoot layups

the bottom line is tj ford will be gone by the trading deadline next
season.Jose is our pg. i can`t wait to see that piece of **** out
of TO.
syncmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #26
boostermoose
Not airballing my layups anymore

This thread should be merged with the shawn marion one. Meaning S & T calderon for marion? Thrown in whatever else to make it happen or trade TJ instead.
boostermoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:09 PM   #27
Valliant13
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Exactly. Jose doesn't have much of a choice unless he plays himself into the $10 million + range where I think the Raptors would be a bit reluctant to match. I don't think any team would give him that right now.

Also I assume he would want to get a new contract done before the Olympics. I sure wouldn't want to risk an injury without having a long-term deal place.

Very good point. I had not though about that.
It looks like only Philly would have big free agent money, and they may be hesitant to drop it on Jose with Andre still in the fold.
Valliant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 09:32 AM   #28
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

If we have one more game with Heat, jose has to have a blowout game with like 20 points 20 assts... this way he could impress miami.. And hopefully we get their first round cause I really want Derrick rose or oj :p
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:27 PM   #29
craigthomasb
College star

i'd want

haslem
banks
wright
cook

for calderon and graham
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #30
A.M.G.
Dr. Chim Richalds

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigthomasb
i'd want

haslem
banks
wright
cook

for calderon and graham
Well, that is pretty good value, but unfortunately, the best player we are getting back, Udonis Haslem, is YET ANOTHER POWER FORWARD!!! We already have like 6 Power Forwards or guys who we can play at PF (Bosh, Hump, Bargnani, Graham, Moon, Garbojosa! We basically get players at all four positions that we are already stocked at. Wright would not be a big improvement over Moon, Cook will never be as good as Parker is at like 33, Banks isn't even close to Calderon. As an added negative, Udonis would take pretty much all of Hump's playing time (I want Hump to stay with us!).

I've noticed that Calderon has not been playing well since Ford came back. Yet there seems to be no reason why Jose would suddenly go from a near All-Star level to worse than he was last year. Does anyone think its possible that he and Colangelo have a deal, and Jose is deliberately lowering his value a bit so that other teams won't make an all-or-nothing run at him in the off-season? And Colangelo will agree to give him a long-term contract at like $6 or 7-mill a year? Could Calderon like playing here that much? Maybe he realizes that he won't be as good on many other teams. One way or another, I hope and pray we keep both PGs, they both have tremendous value (Ford will once he has fully put this spat of injuries behind him), and then we can trade one of them and get either a legit center, or a legit second option wing scorer to compliment Bosh. The great thing is, Colangelo will keep making this team better. No longer do Raptors fans have to worry about what brainless, inexplicable move their team's management will make next!
A.M.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: