Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-13-2008, 04:31 PM   #16
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Default Re: Golden State's FA's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
Unbelievable. You wouldn't trade TJ Ford for a top 5 PG? LMAO.

Baron Davis would help Bosh carry the scoring load. Raps woudl be a player in the east.

Think about it like this:

Davis is an old 29. Has only played a full season in his first three years in the league. Has contributed only 50 games on average since '02. A worn down injury prone player. He wants to play on a contender for his last few years. A competitor, but personality issues and a work ethic are questionable. Might be a very poor fit that way in TO.

His game has slowed down. His defense, (I have read) is not what it was. A great shooter, but streaky shooter. Has as many 5 point games as 30 point games. Averages only 8 assists on an all-offense team full of shooters. He has a big, bad contract. He is not a top 5 pg in the league anymore. Maybe top 10, depends what skill set you value.

Davis would bring nothing to Toronto that Ford does not already provide. Ford also has upside, Davis does not. Ford is quicker. At the beginning of this season, before the Ford injury, they played head to head, and Ford was clearly the better player. Perhaps I am missing some points, but that's all I could come up with for now!

So no, on further consideration I would not trade for Baron Davis.

And we have not even addressed that the Raps have Calderon, nor that energy expended that way is a waste because the team need is clearly one thing and one thing only right now -- a hot shot SG/SF.

But that's just my take :)

Last edited by Good Old Willy : 03-13-2008 at 04:37 PM.
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:06 PM   #17
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Sounds liek a much better version of TJ Ford to me.

Quote:
but personality issues

lol TJ Ford has more personality issues than Baron Davis
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:09 PM   #18
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Quote:
He is not a top 5 pg in the league anymore.

Didnt catch this the first time around. Name 5 better. Deron, Paul, Nash, ???, ???
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:28 AM   #19
raptorfan_dr07
Local High School Star

I would love to get Biedrins. He's having a break out year with about 10 and 10. He'd be great next to Bosh at C. Out of those other guys, the ones I'd have interest in are Monta Ellis and Mickael Pietrus. I think it's kinda unrealistic to get Ellis though since GS really likes him and he's probably their top priority this summer along with keeping Baron. Pietrus could probably be had for cheap but it probably will take a lot to get Biedrins. Here's hoping GS gets too caught up with keeping Baron and Monta that Biedrins somehow slips through the crack
raptorfan_dr07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:21 PM   #20
bballnoob
Local High School Star

I think Azubuike is unrestricted next year. I'd prefer him over Delfino.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 12:29 PM   #21
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballnoob
I think Azubuike is unrestricted next year. I'd prefer him over Delfino.

At this point I am 100% in favor of not bringing Delfino back.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 01:38 PM   #22
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

I don't really care about Delfino. If they can keep him for cheap like Humphries then sure but he's not worth much more.

I don't think Barnes and Azubuike are too good either. They are just in the perfect system.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:31 PM   #23
TJ4'D
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
I don't really care about Delfino. If they can keep him for cheap like Humphries then sure but he's not worth much more.

I don't think Barnes and Azubuike are too good either. They are just in the perfect system.
I agree.

Like pretty much everybody has said, I would love to be able to add Biedrins to us. He is a perfect fit for us and would be a blessing to have starting at center for us. Getting him would be awsome and I pray that they spend too much money on Ellis and Baron that they can't afford to give Biedrins what he would want and he decides to go elsewhere. If that doesn't happen, I would try and work out a sign and trade with Bargnani for him.
TJ4'D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 04:34 PM   #24
rapsfan3
Decent playground baller

^^ Bargnani has too much potential and skill to just trade straight up for Biedris, if that's what you meant.

Also I am also very interested in Biedrins and he would be a perfect fit for this team like you stated. if not Biedrins, Pietrus would fit in well in place of Delfino..
rapsfan3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:38 PM   #25
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Quote:
^^ Bargnani has too much potential and skill to just trade straight up for Biedris, if that's what you meant.
And Biedrins doesn't?

It's Golden State that would likely reject a Bargnani for Biedrins trade, not Toronto.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 06:55 PM   #26
RapsFan
Good college starter

GS isn't letting Ellis or Biedrins go. Nelson may like certin bigs, but he's not the GM and the GM knows that you need guys like Biedrins in the west.

And as for Baron over TJ, come on. Money aside, no team or fan aside from a Raptor fan would take TJ. And for the consistency of Baron, he has 3 games all year sub 10 pts. He is also 7th in dimes. He's elite.

Pietrus can be had, prefer him for some or all of our MLE and let Delfino walk.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 07:48 PM   #27
Good Old Willy
DBDs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
And as for Baron over TJ, come on. Money aside, no team or fan aside from a Raptor fan would take TJ. And for the consistency of Baron, he has 3 games all year sub 10 pts. He is also 7th in dimes. He's elite. ...

Has been elite. Can't let this go, sorry.

This may be a general opinion today, but I believe the general trade / acquisition discussion in this thread had a time frame starting this summer. So the talk is for next season. That's why I originally talked about Baron's value from next season onwards. So no, the iffy aging Baron Davis adds absolutely nothing more than the iffy Ford. Nothing. Zero superiority as outlined above. Again the only significant differences are "upside", "contract", and "willingness to play (in Toronto)".

All favour Ford.

It is clear in my mind that trading Davis for Ford would be a bad idea. Again, this still does not take Calderon into account, nor the asset hit it would waste to make a deal, nor that healthy Ford killed Davis early this year.

And I don't even like Ford right now, drives me insane, though he was once one of my fav players. I am even leaning towards trading him and keeping Calderon, so I do not think I am too biased.

Edit Add: IBCWT!

Last edited by Good Old Willy : 03-14-2008 at 07:53 PM.
Good Old Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:16 AM   #28
bluerap
Good High School Starter

Baron >>>>> Ford

What a bunch of homers. Baron Davis is an all-star. I guarantee he gets a couple votes for MVP this year. After Kobe, Lebron and KG, Baron is there. Yeah he has injury issues but

TJ injury issues >>>> Baron injury issues.

I don't think we can get baron at all, not a good fit anyway.
The point of the thread is that GS has a lot of many they will be spending and they can't afford a couple of those second stringers.

Pietrus being the most interesting.

And what is with the delfino trashing. The guy goes through a slump and everyone wants to let him walk.

Delfino has been our best bench player this year. He has provided a lot of value in one of our major weak areas -> rebounding from the 2/3. i'd be willing to trade him, but only for something more valuable.

Players we should keep

Starters (Untouchable - unless)
PG Calderon
SG ???
SF Moon
PF Bosh
C ???

Bench (Tradable - but more valuable than what they'd get back)
Delfino
Bargnani

Expendable
Ford
Rasho
Parker
Garbo
Kapono
Baston
Hump
Primo
Martin
Graham
bluerap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 09:37 AM   #29
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

Screw depth.. we need another superstar like Ellis or Davis
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:15 PM   #30
TJ4'D
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote:
After Kobe, Lebron and KG, Baron is there.

Its pretty laughable that you don't even mention Chris Paul.

Quote:
Starters (Untouchable - unless)
PG Calderon
SG ???
SF Moon
PF Bosh
C ???

Are you ****ing kidding me? When the hell did Moon become untocuhable? I thought you not mentioning Paul for MVP was laughable but this is 10 times worse. Please think before you post. There is one untouchable player on this roster and his name is Chris Bosh. Thats all, nobody else on this team is untouchable and if you think otherwise you are a fool.

Quote:
And what is with the delfino trashing. The guy goes through a slump and everyone wants to let him walk.

Delfino is a chucker, that isn't even a good shooter. His shot is inconsistent as they come and for some reason he thinks he is like Ray Allen or something from 3. Defensively, he is horrible more often then not. Raptor fans want him gone because of the fact that he simply isn't that good. He is overrated and there are much better players out there that we would be able to get for the money that he would most likely want.
TJ4'D is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: