Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-17-2008, 11:24 PM   #1
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

Default 13 games left

if u didnt realize.. we lost all of the road games.. giving wizards and philly one game behind us. im afraid if we loose more games we might face the pistons or the celtics... hopefully not.
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:35 PM   #2
pro5
Banned

Default Re: 13 games left

Quote:
Originally Posted by danumber88
if u didnt realize.. we lost all of the road games.. giving wizards and philly one game behind us. im afraid if we loose more games we might face the pistons or the celtics... hopefully not.

The way we are playing, we don't even deserve to be in the playoffs. Losing a guy for a short period of time shouldn't be an excuse to suck this badly. I think our stupid 1 play offense is getting exposed. Smitch should come up with DIFFERENT PLAYS.
pro5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:57 AM   #3
Burgz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro5
The way we are playing, we don't even deserve to be in the playoffs. Losing a guy for a short period of time shouldn't be an excuse to suck this badly. I think our stupid 1 play offense is getting exposed. Smitch should come up with DIFFERENT PLAYS.

well when your playbook basically says "give it to bosh, move out of the way" its hard to run a decent halfcourt set. We have to do a better job scouting our opponents
for example, tonight, deron williams, hit at least 4 shots that i can remember, where we went under the screen and he just buried it. WHAT THE HELL IS THAT!?!? And i'm sorry, there is no way that a guy as athletic jamario moon should not be able to fight through a screen to keep up with kyle korver, especially being the shooter he is. Come on Smitch, pull it together, or we're gonna have to face the badboys, or the green machine in the playoffs.
Burgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:41 AM   #4
Zan Tabak
Only the finest

I think we're getting a good look at the Raptors without Bosh ..and what we're seeing is that there isn't really alot there...Bosh's presence opens up alot of room for the other guys, but without him there they're forced to create their own shots which they're not able to do. (with the exception of maybe Parker).

Im not even going to start talking about their defence
Zan Tabak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:00 AM   #5
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Everything that went wrong on the road trip started on defense.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 11:55 AM   #6
huppcap
Local High School Star

I don't think you can blame Mitchell. He can only try to use what he has.

As everyone knows they are missing a swingman who can defend and take the ball to the hoop. It is not Michell's fault they don't have this yet. It is also not Mitchell's fault that Bargnani is not pulling his weight. I agreed with the Toronto sports writers and commentators at the beginning of the season that really the success (or lack of) of this year's season depends on how Bargnani plays. And we are seeing it. I don't think you give up on him yet. It is his second year. If mid-way through next season he still does not seem to be on the way to becomng the player they expected then maybe they do something.

I don't blame Colangelo. The fact is he has improved the roster and has been gathering assets. Maybe he makes a major move this summer and brings in that all important swingman. Or maybe sometime next season. But within the next 12 months I believe he is going to get that missing piece. It takes time. It just does not happen in one season. (Boston was able to make that leap because they had a tonne of draft picks and young talent. Ainge wins exec of the year hands down. Great veteren signings.)

Their defense did suck but it is the players' fault they dug themselves into such big holes and did not play with the energy they needed to play with. Moon still does not make full use of his athleticism on defense but I think it is partly because he is not a smart defender.

Last edited by huppcap : 03-18-2008 at 11:59 AM.
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:03 PM   #7
Student
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro5

I agree 100 %

Quote:
Originally Posted by huppcap
I don't think you can blame Mitchell. He can only try to use what he has.

I sure can blame Mitchell. He's under utilizing Kapono, he insists on playing Bargnani significant minutes even though his contributions are close to 0, he's offensive system is a joke, his teams defense is even worse [how hard is it to get everyone to box out their man?]

I agree that we can't blame Colangelo...he put the talent in Mitchells hands and the man just doesn't know how to use it.
Student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #8
brwnman

Our playbook has expanded, am I the only one that sees this? Raptors do run plays - and with Bosh out more so than ever. Our playbook has expanded, we have plays - we don't run it every play - something Sam said since day 1. He wants players to play off instincts, because he wants to give the players freedom. You can bash his philosophy, but you can't say that we don't have plays anymore - we do...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:40 PM   #9
huppcap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student

I agree 100 %

I sure can blame Mitchell. He's under utilizing Kapono, he insists on playing Bargnani significant minutes even though his contributions are close to 0, he's offensive system is a joke, his teams defense is even worse [how hard is it to get everyone to box out their man?]

I agree that we can't blame Colangelo...he put the talent in Mitchells hands and the man just doesn't know how to use it.

How do you think Bargnani is going to get better? Not play him? You think Colangelo wants to see his number one pick on the bench? If he saw Bargnani on the bench he would tell Mitchell like he did last season to play him more or keep him in the game. Regardless of how Bargnani plays the Raptors are not a contender for the conference anyways yet. Sometimes you have to take a step back to move two forward. That is what this season is looking like. This is not a one season thing.

Kapano. It is difficult for him to get shots when Ford is taking a bunch of shots and not looking for him. In addition one way Kapano gets his best open looks is in transition. If the Raptors cannot secure a rebound and the other team gets back quickly there is no transition. He would also get more open looks if they had a SG who was a threat to drive. The whole team basically is a perimeter shooting team.

Oh ya. Boxing out a man. If an opponent drives past his defender and breaks down the defense so now the defense has to help out and shift... uh ... boxing out is more difficult. Is Mitchell to blame because they don't have players who can play strong perimeter defense? You see him all the time yelling at Moon for not playing smart defense or letting his man drive past him.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #10
huppcap
Local High School Star

Oh by the way. Not that I am counting but there are 15 games left. 10 against below .500 teams which Toronto is of course getting close to becoming one. Hopefully they can finish strong and be at least 10-5. With the way Philadelphia is playing (beat Phoenix, Detroit and San Antonio all recently) they may catch the Raptors.

Is it me or does Cleveland look like they have no interest in securing the 4th spot? For all the games Toronto has lost they are still within reach of 4th. To think of all the close games they lost and the other games against bottom fishing teams they lost; the Raptors should have a solid hold of 4th spot even with the way Bargnani has played and with Bosh out.

Last edited by huppcap : 03-18-2008 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #11
Student
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by huppcap
How do you think Bargnani is going to get better? Not play him? You think Colangelo wants to see his number one pick on the bench? If he saw Bargnani on the bench he would tell Mitchell like he did last season to play him more or keep him in the game. Regardless of how Bargnani plays the Raptors are not a contender for the conference anyways yet. Sometimes you have to take a step back to move two forward. That is what this season is looking like. This is not a one season thing.

Kapano. It is difficult for him to get shots when Ford is taking a bunch of shots and not looking for him. In addition one way Kapano gets his best open looks is in transition. If the Raptors cannot secure a rebound and the other team gets back quickly there is no transition. He would also get more open looks if they had a SG who was a threat to drive. The whole team basically is a perimeter shooting team.

Oh ya. Boxing out a man. If an opponent drives past his defender and breaks down the defense so now the defense has to help out and shift... uh ... boxing out is more difficult. Is Mitchell to blame because they don't have players who can play strong perimeter defense? You see him all the time yelling at Moon for not playing smart defense or letting his man drive past him.

IMO winning games at this point is more important than giving minutes to Bargs...how long does it take to break out of the slump?? I don't think Ford is the one to blame for Kapono not getting his shots...Kapono has not gotten good looks all season long not just lately and in my opinion thats the fault of the coaching staff.
Student is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:50 AM   #12
bada bing
College star

Mitchell cannot play Kapono with the lineup we have. He is a big liability on defense and as said, he makes his 3-pts in transition. We dont have a strong defensive presence that can rebound and pass it off to kapono or a strong offensive player that can drive the paint, attract the opposing defense and allow open shots for kapono. We have so many guys that do pretty much what kapono does and they defend better (not saying much there).

We need to get a SG with a strong defensive and driving presence. Only then can Kapono start and do what he was brought to do for the raptors.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: