Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 03-25-2008, 02:38 PM   #16
bballnoob
Local High School Star

Default Re: Who do we need in 2008 draft class?

Don't really have a good read on where Brook Lopez well end up being drafted but he seems intresting as you mentioned.
bballnoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 04:06 PM   #17
The Big Three
Spurs Forum Moderator

Judging by the Eastern Conference standings, you guys will most likely be selecting in the 15-17 range, a spot where you could definitely find a steal that passed through the lottery. I'm not a big Raptors fan, but reading some of your comments it's apparent that you would like a defensive minded big man and a SG or SF. Since you have a few different ways to go, you guys shouldn't have to worry about making too bad of a selection. Here are some prospects that I think you guys could look at:

Nicolas Batum (might slip, he gives you versatility and some potential)
Chase Budinger (solid guy, could give you 14-15 ppg)
Joe Alexander (his stock is rising, but could be in your range; athletic SF)
Brandon Rush (good shooter, but that's about it; maybe some potential)
DeVon Hardin (athletic big who can rebound for you)
Robin Lopez (defensive minded big; less of a scorer than Brook)
Donte Greene (someone's gotta slip, might not be him; great scorer and potential)

I'd love to hear your responses; I don't get too much Raptor input on my mocks in the NBA Draft forum.
The Big Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 08:37 PM   #18
brwnman

We need to trade that first round pick along with our expirers for a star guard or SF and get interior help...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 10:22 PM   #19
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

If Chase Budinger fell to the Raptors in the mid 1st round I'd be ecstatic. I love his talent and athleticism despite his weaker year this season compared to his freshman year.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:15 AM   #20
Valliant13
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
If Chase Budinger fell to the Raptors in the mid 1st round I'd be ecstatic. I love his talent and athleticism despite his weaker year this season compared to his freshman year.

Chase will be fantastic...but if he was drafted the Bryan and Sam would need to be paitent with him. He has great tools, but due to all the time he spent playing Volleyball he is not a complete player yet. Excellent jump shot when set...but still rough off the dribble. Ball handling is rapidly improving, but still far behind his physical ability. Good effort on D, but gets lost sometimes on rotations. Good end to end speed, but only decent lateral quickness.

Once he refines his game he will excellent starting SF, but if put in as starter right away he his going to have alot of lapses and holes in his game that will take a couple years to smooth out. Great upside though, and a pick I would love to see.
Valliant13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:00 PM   #21
danumber88
I'm a neat monster.

No more international please.. We need some good ncaa people
danumber88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:14 PM   #22
craigthomasb
College star

something on draft espress just reminded me,i could see someone like bill walker dropping to us in the draft, he will be a freshman so young, great athlete, likes to atack the bucket, developing skills, could be a very good player in a few years and will be a a contributer in our lineup. i thinl he was oj mayos team mate in HS
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:16 PM   #23
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Bill Walker reminds me too much of what happened to Joey Graham in the NBA. He relies on his athleticism and strength and has no handles. He isn't as much of a PF as Graham but I think he'll have similar difficulties adjusting (ie. he'll suck).
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 03:52 AM   #24
GoldMedallist
I rule the local playground

Quote:
Originally Posted by danumber88
No more international please.. We need some good ncaa people

We need good players, I don't care if they international or not.
GoldMedallist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:20 AM   #25
Valliant13
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Bill Walker reminds me too much of what happened to Joey Graham in the NBA. He relies on his athleticism and strength and has no handles. He isn't as much of a PF as Graham but I think he'll have similar difficulties adjusting (ie. he'll suck).

Plus he's had two acl injuries already. He has frustrating bust written all over him.
Old 03-27-2008, 09:10 AM   #26
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

It's sounding like Bill Walker isn't declaring this year.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:44 AM   #27
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Bill Walker >>>>>>> Joey Graham. He can slash to the rim without running people over liek Joey does.

I'd want Rush, or Stephen Curry would be nice as well.

If Love slips to us. NO BRAINER.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 11:48 AM   #28
Maniak
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

i HOPE for some Love to come around....we will be getting big men i know that much, POSSIBLY a new PG...doubtful on that though
Maniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 12:10 PM   #29
Valliant13
College star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker

If Love slips to us. NO BRAINER.

The Raps don't need a slow, fat, 6'8 (maybe 6'9) C with no hops. They certainly don't need another PF. So that pretty much rules love out. Great college player...but he does not have the size and athleticism to play his game against NBA athletes. At best he will be a scrappy backup PF/C bringing some energy off the bench.
Old 03-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #30
Chamberlain
Riggin' for Wiggins!

Joe Alexander is a player who has intrigued me over the past month or so. He really stepped up his game lately, but I still am unsure of his defensive game. Anyone that has perhaps seen him play a bit more than me (3-4 times) have any information on this?

Robin Lopez was originally thought to not be declaring this year, but during this solid run of good games that might change, especially with Brook being a definate lotto pick. He doesn't strike me as very strong but he is a 7+ footer with a big frame, with the ability to put on some pounds. Pretty interesting to me. I know he plays good defence, but is he a shot blocker?

I've constantly been looking at Hashem Thabeet for our pick, but he is starting to remind me of a taller skinnier Diop. Diop took about 6 years in the league to develop any type of game that resembles basketball.

Love, perhaps my favorite college player, does not tickle my fancy at all for the Raptors. Too small to be a center, and he would get zero minutes with Bosh, especially if Bargnani is still around.

Moving onto swingmen, how would you feel about Russell Westbrook? His stock has risen to a point where he might be a top10 pick, but you see every year a guys stock will rise like crazy, and then drop about 7-10 picks as the draft nears. I think he may be one of those guys. As solid of a player as Anthony Parker is, he's getting up there in age and I think by the time the Raptors are ready to make a serious run, his better days will be behind him. Westbrook provides a great defender, who can attack the rim, and is a respectable shooter.

People talk about Chase Budinger, but I'm not sold on him. He had a great freshman year, and was extremly streaky this year. He looks like he has some great games but I think it's a confidence issue for him, or maybe he cracks under pressure, I'm not sure, but I'm not sold on him YET. I think another year in Arizona would be good for him.

Stephen Curry, no. Insanely undersized two-guard, with an amazing shot. We have Jason Kapono. Imagine them two on the court at the same time. Yikes.

Quote:
Bill Walker >>>>>>> Joey Graham. He can slash to the rim without running people over liek Joey does.

Joey Graham(NCAA) was also able to slash to the rim without running people over like Joey Graham(NBA) does. Bill Walker is physically gifted, but has had his injury issues and also some attitude issues, which I don't see as a HUGE deal unless he's absolutely insane, but the Raptors seem to want to fill the locker room with good characters.

If I had to pick, and all these players were on the board, I'd look for the bigs first, and swingmen second. There is always the prospect of moving up or down the draft as well, but we wont get into that for now.
Chamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: