Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tolerant Liberals

Default Re: Interview waiting process, is the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    That is terrible advice. Very immature.

OP, chill the fuck out. Professional hirings can take months. You have no idea what internal processes they must go through before the hiring can be official. Everyone will have a lot of anxiety in your position, but you need to grow up and have some patience.
    Private sector hirings are done quickly, especially at this time of the year as the fiscal year is coming to an end. If companies/projects dont push the paperwork through by a certain date, they will lose the budget for the next year. The HR or recruiter might just be jacking off and holding up the paperwork. You have nothing to lose by emailing the recruiter like "whats up"

Quote Originally Posted by West-Side
    One to two weeks, the recruiter told me right after the interview was over.
    Thanks Deuce, I will take your advice man.

I needed to hear the harsh reality.
    truth is, if they told you within a certain amount of time you will hear back, and if they don't contact you, it pretty much means you didn't get it. Companies don't just "forget" someone they want to hire. It's very unprofessional on their part, but that's the reality.

you really don't even need to call/email and ask or follow up after the final interview process is done. Everything is in their hands now and however much asses you kiss or d1cks you suck won't get you the job if they already made up their minds.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by West-Side
    Despite me already having a decent job at a bank, I had an interview with KPMG on September 24th. The recruiter said it will take 1-2 weeks to get back to the candidates. I did great on the interview, both with the HR people and with the partner. In fact, one of my close friends who works at KPMG as a Senior said the partner contacted her the next day to talk about me. She said she put in a good word and that she personally thinks I have the job. This was LAST Friday. I sent two thank you letters to the partner and the recruiter. Both got back to me, in fact, the partner got back to me within 20 minutes.

They had interviews on Monday & Tuesday as well. So it's only been 3 days since they finalized all the interviews. I was so excited on Friday but have not heard nothing as of yet. I know KPMG has a quick turn around with the interviews, so I've been a nervous wreck all week.

I do have a job, but I really want to work with KPMG. The career path is brighter and the benefit package is incredible.

My friend also said they are understaffed so she thinks they're looking to fit a few open roles, which could explain the delay. I've been checking my phone/email every 30 minutes since Monday. The anxiety doesn't allow me to focus on anything other then waiting for a response.

Anyone had a similar experience with the Big Four, or any other similar experience waiting to hear about the job?

Why would you want to work for one of the Big 4's? Then again that's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by ISHGoat
    Private sector hirings are done quickly, especially at this time of the year as the fiscal year is coming to an end. If companies/projects dont push the paperwork through by a certain date, they will lose the budget for the next year. The HR or recruiter might just be jacking off and holding up the paperwork. You have nothing to lose by emailing the recruiter like "whats up"
    It took more than a month before the company i work for now hired me from the final interview. Not all private sector hirings are fast. Some take months upon end. People are not on a quick timeline to make sure you're not kept waiting. No one cares if you wait.

NBA All-star

from my own experience

if it's going to require training (most entry level positions) then they'd get back to you ASAP if they could

that's the harsh reality I've come to dealt with

I can only imagine that even with every little chess move you made right, someone else is in there making a rebuttal with your flaws

it's a 1-2 week process, so I also wouldn't be too surprised with the person who has the final say needs the additional arguments before making the decision

besides the many reasons as to why I hadn't been hired by too many companies, I also tend to have an attitude that whatever position I'm interested in, I'm going to beat the people at their own game.

Local High School Star Andrew Wiggins's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    OP made this thread to blow his own trumpet.

Title of the thread misleading.

Stop being a btch and stop worrying. You have a job already, most of the people you're talking to on here would kill for a good job like yours.

(I have a job)
    spoken like a loser with an inferiority complex who spends a copious amount of time arguing with 15 year olds on the internet

OP you're doing all the right things. Be proactive, call them, send emails or letters, etc. If you're doing that, not only does it relieve your own tension, but it makes you look more interested and more industrious. Good luck.

I hate the period between when you know you're not going to get a job and the time when you're told.

I interviewed for an online teaching job for a homeschool co-op one time and the director was very high on me. I came with a strong recommend from a friend of hers, made a good impression, etc. I was under the impression I had it in the bag so my interview (with her and 4 other people) went so-so. I followed up and everything. But it wasn't until 3 weeks later I saw the courses I was interviewing for listed under another teacher's name. And it wasn't until 4 months later (!) that they formally told me they had decided on somebody else. Ouch!

In retrospect, it's a good thing I didn't get the job, because now I realize I didn't really want it and I don't have time to do it well (on top of my day job). Didn't need the money really. And the organization is sloppy and unprofessional. It was disappointing at the time, but think about it this way: if they don't really want to hire you (and if they do, they won't keep you waiting very long), you're probably not going to enjoy the job that much anyway.

Everyone has to go through it. It sucks but you learn to live with it.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

One of my friends has a job in a science field at the moment. Despite having a really impressive resume (in my opinion) and graduating with a 3.5 GPA, she had a lot of trouble landing a job. It took her about 3 months to land a job that has great benefits (paid grad school and employer knows that she has thought about going back to school for possibly med school down the line) and is about 50 hours a week. Even if she doesn't go back for med school or something and just gets a masters in a science, she has a job at a place that could really be her career.

She applied to some other job on par with this one (although, I think it was slightly better pay) and she never heard back from them despite interviewing there about 2-3 months ago. They never really let her know if she got a job or not so she kept on looking at her 2nd and 3rd options. She got her second choice and I think works from like 9am to around 6pm, 5 days a week.

It's a really rough process. I ran into a few friends who now work in NYC and one of them said it took him like 2.5 months and countless interviews to finally get a job. He got another really good job as well.

I think in this case though, OP, sounds like you know what you are doing and I know the field you're going into can be lucrative and people who graduate with business degrees that specialize usually have better job opportunities than those with just bachelors in a bio/physical science (although it's a hard degree to maintain, you really need a masters for most job opportunities out there in the science field).

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Wiggins
    spoken like a loser with an inferiority complex who spends a copious amount of time arguing with 15 year olds on the internet

Are you one?

I'll stop one right now.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

I had two interviews at the same place on Friday. Later that evening they called me back and offered me the job. I have two jobs now. They still have to do the background checks, but I'm in the clear. I'm working for a big time hospital.

Update

I still haven't received nothing yet, so yesterday I decide to take action.
    I wrote a brief email in regards to where they are in the process.

I get this email back from the partner today at noon.

"Hi Ev. Happy thanksgiving almost. We are still finalizing numbers and positions, from what I understand, so although frustrating, I am not surprised that you have not heard anything back yet. I am sure [Manager's Name - Who was apart of the interview] will be in touch once everything is wrapped up. Enjoy the long weekend!".

I'm not sure what this mean, so ambiguous.
    This is torture. I pretty much felt like it was over, I didn't get it.
    I wrote the email in the morning and all day, I got no response until today.

Now my anxiety is going to kill me again.
    How do you guys interpret this email?

By the way, the job is in Toronto, Canada.

First you should email her back and say the real thanksgiving isn't until November.

But seriously, I would interpret the email as they haven't made a decision. Just be patient dude. This is not a text message from a girl you are trying to have sex with. No need to over analyze it.

You look like an idiot fawning over these emails.

Jesus christ, you have a job, they're making a decision, just wait.

Update

So last week I was contacted by a partner of Enterprise (at KPMG).
    Apparently the people that interviewed me thought I was a better fit with Enterprise (dealing with NTR, Reviews, T2's and advisory) since my back ground is in finance. So I had an interview today with the partner, I think it went well. He said he will let me know the decision by mid to late November, as he is going on vacation for 2 weeks so he wanted to meet with me before hand. He mentioned that again to me just before we concluded our interview.
    I think we had a good vibe, and he really appreciated me bringing sample work from my current job. Some other positive signs:

- Detailed tour of the office, meeting managers and seniors; as well as the people I'd be directly working with at KPMG Enterprise.
    - He mentioned numerous times that I'd be getting paid starting salary, despite of my experience. I said that is fine and even mentioned that I'd even do an "unpaid intership" to work for your firm. He liked that.
    - We had a detailed conversation about the starting date. We both agreed that January is suited for both of us.
    - The interview went on for an hour, much longer than the 30 minutes I had with the other partner.
    - He went into great detail about the actual job. He talked about what type of work I'll be doing and what is expected of me. He told me the do's and don'ts etc.
    - He gave me his business card during the interview without me asking about it.
    - The interview went well overall; I had answers for all his questions and he liked my questions by saying "That's a good question, I'm glad you asked it."

So, I know I hate waiting (again) but things are looking good for me right?
    I mean I doubt a partner would waste his time giving me the tour of the training room, lunch room, introducing me to managers and my direct coworkers.

I'll stay hopeful, and most importantly patient.
    Thanks for all of your advice guys.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    That is terrible advice. Very immature.

OP, chill the fuck out. Professional hirings can take months. You have no idea what internal processes they must go through before the hiring can be official. Everyone will have a lot of anxiety in your position, but you need to grow up and have some patience.
    Hiring process when I left the private sector took about 2 months. Chill out...it will be fine either way.