Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Do you find this shirt offensive?

Quote Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
    What Man this was a dumb post
    Jam, you've got a cartoon made about you:

https://youtu.be/8mQScjlXbBE?t=1m4s

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Because basketball players don't actually endure what soldiers endure.

A lot of the younger generations might not find that offensive at all. But would you really want to wear that shirt and risk ruining the day of some 90 year old guy who fought hard at Okinawa and thinks of the lives of his fellow soldiers when he sees an image like that? I personally don't find the image all that offensive but I suppose if I was said old guy it might not make me feel that good seeing it copied for the sake of some gimmicky kids basketball shirt.
    I would think that old guy wouldn't be ***** enough to get offended over that. It aint like they're pissing on it or insulting it in any way.

Im sure most vets understand that they fought for our freedom of expression/speech. They might be the first ones to support the t-shirt.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    I would think that old guy wouldn't be ***** enough to get offended over that. It aint like they're pissing on it or insulting it in any way.

Im sure most vets understand that they fought for our freedom of expression/speech. They might be the first ones to support the t-shirt.
    True

NBA Legend

It's a ****ing T-shirt. There's nothing even remotely in bad taste about it. It's not making light of anyone's "sacrifice" it's just a clever play on an iconic image.

Anyone who actually fought in Iwo Jima would have to be, what, 90 years old now?? When would they ever even see someone wearing this shirt?

It's so embarrassing that no matter what you do these days, there will always be some people who pretend to be offended for attention, and that businesses actually screech to a friggin halt over it.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    It's a ****ing T-shirt. There's nothing even remotely in bad taste about it. It's not making light of anyone's "sacrifice" it's just a clever play on an iconic image.

Anyone who actually fought in Iwo Jima would have to be, what, 90 years old now?? When would they ever even see someone wearing this shirt?

It's so embarrassing that no matter what you do these days, there will always be some people who pretend to be offended for attention, and that businesses actually screech to a friggin halt over it.
    Blame the military worshippers

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
    I'm from the hood. Chinx Drugs seriously got killed 3 blocks away from my house today
    There's nothing 'hood' about Briarwood

the irony is, the vets themselves wouldn't be offended (for the most part), they rarely are.

And it usually isn't their families either (again... for the most part).

It's usually fake outrage.

My grandpa held his friend in his arms while he died on that island. Relating it to a team sport or a pickup game is offensive to him and others.

Not to me, but them. I don't care if they made the shirt, and I think it's a cool shirt, but no one should be surprised by the response the military and especially veterans of Iwo Jima/WWII have to seeing it.

NBA Legend

In this instance, a small handful of them are probably responsible.

But in general, it seems as though being offended is the new way for people to gain some sort of recognition/attention when they otherwise have nothing of merit to offer. Be the guy who yells "OMG, that's offensive!" and everyone will think you're on some next level enlightenment, like super duper progressive intellect.

Whatever happened to the days of accusing someone of witchcraft, or telling people they'd burn in hell for their sins when you wanted to soapbox? What, we're too good for that now??

We have gone past the event horizon here, people.

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    My grandpa held his friend in his arms while he died on that island. Relating it to a team sport or a pickup game is offensive to him and others.

Not to me, but them. I don't care if they made the shirt, and I think it's a cool shirt, but no one should be surprised by the response the military and especially veterans of Iwo Jima/WWII have to seeing it.
    I don't care.

the irony is, the vets themselves wouldn't be offended (for the most part), they rarely are.

And it usually isn't their families either (again... for the most part).

It's usually fake outrage.
    To be honest I don't think it's fake. At least not all of it. Some of my friends on Facebook that have served or are serving in the military do seem pretty uptight about the world around them misusing or disrespecting Military related things.

For example one of my friends posted this a few weeks ago:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-KgnVpxnNU

When I saw it I thought damn that dude is overreacting. But they didn't, they thought that homeless guy deserves to get his ass beat and the veteran was their hero of the day.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces

Damn, when was this? Like a week ago?

Come to think of it, yeah, I can see why a T-shirt would cut deep. Obviously, the wound is still fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    To be honest I don't think it's fake. At least not all of it. Some of my friends on Facebook that have served or are serving in the military do seem pretty uptight about the world around them misusing or disrespecting Military related things.

For example one of my friends posted this a few weeks ago:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-KgnVpxnNU

When I saw it I thought damn that dude is overreacting. But they didn't, they thought that homeless guy deserves to get his ass beat and the veteran was their hero of the day.
    That's completely different.

Shit... Im pissed off about that, and Im not one of them flag waving 'patriots'.

I respect the shit out of vets (although I think they're pawns, but that's for a different argument), I still applaud what they have to endure. Impersonating a pat is a bitch move.

Fck that poser.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Still... how is it offensive?

Because it is an iconic photo and an iconic moment in history for the men and women who fought bravely during WWII.

It represents courage and triumph despite the tumultuous world around them.

While I think UA has created a unique way to market a shirt, I can understand why some Veterans may be offended as it mimics this moment in history in a semi-satirical way.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    Damn, when was this? Like a week ago?

Come to think of it, yeah, I can see why a T-shirt would cut deep. Obviously, the wound is still fresh.
    You don't forget your friends dying.