Serious playground baller

Default Anyone had ACL and/or Meniscus surgery?

I just had both surgeries yesterday on my left knee. Swollen like crazy. Pains not too bad yet but the nerve blockers they gave me still have not worn off completely.

Anyone else had this? What should I expect? And how to pass the time with no weight bearing for 6 weeks lol

Default Re: Anyone had ACL and/or Meniscus surgery?

Research Adrian Peterson and his recovery... About the best ever ACL recovery ever

Things I think could be useful if I ever do an ACL;

Electric Muscle Stimulator... Underrated tool especially for injury recovery, let alone proper muscular function... It's really the only thing on the planet that can truly isolate specific muscles like for example the VMO (Misconception that you can do manual exercises to fully isolate the VMO... Impossible to contract it without contracting the rectus femoris and outside quad muscle)... But with EMS you can literally just run an electric current through the VMO and get it contracting truly isolated... Quality tool to get the VMO firing early

Hip extension/Posterior chain focus; Glutes/hamstrings/spinal erectors
    - When possible, lots of heavy Barbell Hip thrusts/Squat variations/deadlift variations
    - Throw in some abstract exercises like cossack squats etc

Lots of lots of mobility work
    -Specifically Hips, ankles and especially the feet
    - Bad feet are a big reason why ACL tears happen... Start transitioning to minimalist/barefoot style running... Take it slow and progress.. It's very tough on the feet and calves... But over time your feet will condition and strengthen... I think it's one aspect people overlook, wearing bulky joggers...

I'd focus on personally

1. Getting the glutes proportionately stronger than the rest of my muscles... This will promote a healthy movement pattern
    2. Do a shitload of mobility which is vital
    3. Use EMS to get my knee extensors firing correctly AKA VMO going off early to avoid lateral knee movements
    4. Barefoot running/footwork coupled with good foot focused mobility to keep the tissue healthy

Not sure if this is what you asked for but I'd thought I'd post this anyways because I feel like it

Quote Originally Posted by hihellohi765
    I just had both surgeries yesterday on my left knee. Swollen like crazy. Pains not too bad yet but the nerve blockers they gave me still have not worn off completely.

Anyone else had this? What should I expect? And how to pass the time with no weight bearing for 6 weeks lol
    Did you have patellar, hamstring, or cadaver replacement?

It's not really bad these days. You'll be in some solid pain the next 3-4 days as the nerve block and general anesthesia wears off. Keep up with your therapy and do everything your therapist tells you to. If you don't, you'll regret it the rest of your life.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Did you have patellar, hamstring, or cadaver replacement?

It's not really bad these days. You'll be in some solid pain the next 3-4 days as the nerve block and general anesthesia wears off. Keep up with your therapy and do everything your therapist tells you to. If you don't, you'll regret it the rest of your life.
    Hamstring. Ya I was feeling fine until about an hour ago. Nerve blocks wore off and intense pain and tingling sensation shooting up my leg. Just trying to relax and RICE it.

you should seriously consider sitting out 2 or 3 seasons.

One of the Goodfellas NBAplayoffs2001's Avatar

Peterson's ACL recovery is GOAT. Even his surgeon, James Andrews said it is near impossible for all his patients to expect the same recovery and James Andrews is probably the best sports medicine orthopedic surgeon in North America and if not the world.

Well yeah, most people don't get HGH.