Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Freelance writing

Anyone here ever do it? How did you go about finding clients? I am looking into it to make some extra money. Any writers in here?

Default Re: Freelance writing

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    Lol, what is so funny little johnny jewel?

I can just imagine you coming up with essays filled with your convoluted right wing and libertarian talking points on how the world works from your parents basement and trying to sell them freelance.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

what is your education background?

What was your GPA in college?

What is/was your work exp?

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    I can just imagine you coming up with essays filled with your convoluted right wing and libertarian talking points on how the world works from your parents basement and trying to sell them freelance.
    Honestly I've taken a big step back from my passion for all of those topics

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    what is your education background?

What was your GPA in college?

What is/was your work exp?
    A lot of the writing opportunities I see aren't dependent on those, people just want to see if you have the writing capability. I have 3 years of college, honors and high GPA. My work experience is nothing I care to write about.

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    A lot of the writing opportunities I see aren't dependent on those, people just want to see if you have the writing capability. I have 3 years of college, honors and high GPA. My work experience is nothing I care to write about.
    well i need somebody to write content for my business website and you just failed the interview.

I wouldn't feel comfortable hiring a freelance writer to write for me that didn't finish college. Work exp. is important even if its not directly related to the field in which you are looking for work. I can probably find grad students to write for me for like 10-15 bucks an hour.

well i need somebody to write content for my business website and you just failed the interview.

I wouldn't feel comfortable hiring a freelance writer to write for me that didn't finish college. Work exp. is important even if its not directly related to the field in which you are looking for work. I can probably find grad students to write for me for like 10-15 bucks an hour.
    I wasn't interviewing for you. You are quite pretencious. There are plenty of freelancers who haven't finished college. Personally I thought (and still think) the debt wasn't worth it for me. To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by joe
    I wasn't interviewing for you. You are quite pretencious. There are plenty of freelancers who haven't finished college. Personally I thought (and still think) the debt wasn't worth it for me. To each his own.
    Step 1: Learn to spell.

NBA All-star

How would you like to build your reputation?

You can write about what you want for free and gather an audience and see whether someone would be interested in putting you on projects that have a specific message your client wants you to express (negate your own personal interest totally in this case)

Or you can write for clients for free, until you get signed to periodically publich your piece I suppose.

what's a reasonable flat fee on a 1k to 2k word count piece?

NBA Legend

This attitude is one of the major problems with America.

You don't know what good writing is, apparently. Nor do you know useful skills when you see them, apparently. You need some nutty professor who's on tenure and half senile handing out diplomas to anyone willing to go into enough debt for them to tell you who's a good employee and who's not??

You wouldn't hire Bill Gates or Mark Cuban or Mark Zuckerberg and countless other people who are literally hundreds of times more qualified than you to do anything.

Hey, that's your prerogative. Just don't complain about the economy or the system or anything else if your business fails. Point that finger inward because you take a very close minded and archaic approach to business. You're fighting an uphill battle because you aren't relying on your own vision, just an outdated blueprint that doesn't take into account the way the terrain looks today.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    This attitude is one of the major problems with America.

You don't know what good writing is, apparently. Nor do you know useful skills when you see them, apparently. You need some nutty professor who's on tenure and half senile handing out diplomas to anyone willing to go into enough debt for them to tell you who's a good employee and who's not??

You wouldn't hire Bill Gates or Mark Cuban or Mark Zuckerberg and countless other people who are literally hundreds of times more qualified than you to do anything.

Hey, that's your prerogative. Just don't complain about the economy or the system or anything else if your business fails. Point that finger inward because you take a very close minded and archaic approach to business. You're fighting an uphill battle because you aren't relying on your own vision, just an outdated blueprint that doesn't take into account the way the terrain looks today.

i don't wanna hire a quitter.

Bill Gates and Mark Cuban are exceptions to the rule.

I'm a first gen college student. My grandparents were illiterate and never even went to elementary school. I of all people know that formal education doesn't equate to intelligence or talent, but in this day in age in the united states, if you are trying to work an academic job like writing papers, you should at the very least have a bachelor's which are kind of a joke to get.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    It really depends on what you're looking for. Fluff piece stuff, fiction, non-fiction, or denser manual type things. Obviously the more important stuff will be on the higher side of the pricing spectrum.

PM me your email address, and we could shoot a few back and forth if you're serious.

somewhere between non-fiction and "denser" materials. Probably isn't even worth it for me to hire somebody, i can probably knock out the pieces I need an hour or two.. if i hire a grad student in my field they get the exp. bonus and i can get away with not spending too much money. Hiring a straight up pro will probably be to cost prohibitive for what i'm looking to do.