Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Brooklyn Nets Forum

Brooklyn Nets Forum Brooklyn Nets message board - Brooklyn Nets forum

Old 02-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Default Prokhorov planning to change GM and Coach?

Quote:
Is Prokhorov Planning Big Changes…Really Big?
February 12, 2010, 6:22 am
Mikhail Prokhorov is thinking big, really big. The Record, Post, Yahoo! and Sports Illustrated report the Russian billionaire may try to hire the head of USA Basketball, Jerry Colangelo, to replace Rod Thorn, then use Colangelo to land Duke’s Mike Krzyzewski as coach/GM. “I don’t think anyone really realizes what it’s going to mean to have him in this league,” one high-ranking NBA official tells Yahoo!
http://www.netsdaily.com/?p=9960
Quote:
Hahn: Colangelo Wants Nets Job
February 12, 2010, 9:04 pm
Newsday’s Alan Hahn reports Jerry Colangelo is more than interested in replacing Rod Thorn. “He wants it and he’s going after it,” Hahn quoted a knowledgeable source as saying. Colangelo, 70, would also be willing to help Mikhail Prokhorov recruit Mike Krzyzewski as coach. Colangelo himself told CBS Sports’ Ken Berger, “Whenever opportunity knocks at the door, I think it’s incumbent upon anyone to talk.”
http://www.netsdaily.com/?p=9970
Quote:
Kerber: Prokhorov Likely to Keep Thorn
February 13, 2010, 6:35 am
Headlines aside, Fred Kerber reports Rod Thorn is likely to stay as Nets president. Quoting NBA sources, Kerber writes Mikhail Prokhorov “knows what he has in Rod” and “it looks very good for him”. Meanwhile, Thorn himself tells Kerber he’s not firing Kiki Vandeweghe this season. One thing is certain: everyone wants to make a run at Mike Krzyzewski. John Calipari is also the mix. Neither has said no.
http://www.netsdaily.com/?p=9975
As much as I like Rod.... I wouldnt mind some changes in the Front Office
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
Dasher
http://wp.me/L6Wr

Default Re: Prokhorov planning to change GM and Coach?

I expected this regardless of the record. The record makes cleaning house a must. The stink must be washed off the franchise, and as many players as possible need to be moved. There have been whispers of Prokhorov importing an European front office.
Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 09:05 PM   #3
gigantes
A piece of fluff

i've been going back and forth about this...

colangelo has a good résumé and thorn has definitely made his share of bloopers. OTOH, thorn has had to operate while essentially wearing a straight jacket for most of his time with the nets. we already know he's a good GM, so wouldn't it be cool to see what he can accomplish given a big purse and an attractive destination? if you fire him now then you're essentially blaming him for a bunch of problems that weren't of his making, and even worse, you're not getting full value for him.

the other problem with colangelo is that at 70 years old, he's even older than thorn. i mean, the nets are looking at something like a 3-5 year program before becoming an elite team again, so ideally i'd want a younger GM to carry us into the future. keep thorn for now and let him groom someone to be the successor, which sounds exactly the way that prokhy is leaning...
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 11:39 PM   #4
ZHAKIDD532
#hellobrooklyn

I love Rod. I'll never be mad with him running things.

But at the same time I wouldn't mind seeing a full retooling of the front office and coaching staff. Have a clean slate going into Newark next season (hopefully with John Wall in tow).
ZHAKIDD532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 04:34 PM   #5
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

I like Rod too, but Colangelo would be awesome. He's an Illini grad and I read his autobiography so I may be biased.

For that last blurb, **** Calipari coming here. Have we not already learned our lesson with him? **** it **** it **** it. Even tough I hate Puke, I'm ok with Coach K coming here. But Calipari? Lets not reward this snake.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
gigantes
A piece of fluff

Quote:
Thorn, His Job Apparently Safe, Heads North

February 15, 2010, 3:20 pm

Rod Thorn flew to Vancouver Monday for meetings with the $18 billion man. There is now every indication Mikhail Prokhorov will keep Thorn. He and Brett Yormark met Sunday with two Prokhorov aides in Dallas, mainly to discuss the Nets’ move to Newark. Thorn is expected to present a franchise “fix-it” plan to the Russian billionaire over the next two days. “They love Rod,” a Nets insider told Dave D’Alessandro.

http://www.netsdaily.com/?p=9990
welp, sounds like the matter has been decided.

and it's love already, is it?
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #7
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigantes
welp, sounds like the matter has been decided.

and it's love already, is it?
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: