Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 11-23-2015, 10:37 AM   #15781
West-Side
Goat Loading

Default Re: Rate the last movie you watched.

Going to watch Room probably Friday with the girl.
Sicario is a good movie.

I'd give it 84 or so, the first half is much better than the 2nd half though.
West-Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:43 AM   #15782
~primetime~
~the original p.tiddy~

Trainwreck - 4/10

I have no idea why this thing scored an 85% on RT. It is NOT that good. There is more drama in this movie than there is comedy, and I rented the thing wanting to laugh. You dive into her man troubles, and the death of her father, etc....just make me laugh damn it.
~primetime~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 11:33 AM   #15783
LikeMike
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~primetime~

Trainwreck - 4/10

I have no idea why this thing scored an 85% on RT. It is NOT that good. There is more drama in this movie than there is comedy, and I rented the thing wanting to laugh. You dive into her man troubles, and the death of her father, etc....just make me laugh damn it.

Have you not yet figured out that the highest rated comedies on RT are because of the combined dramatic elements? The best pure comedies never have amazing ratings because the critics think they are too shallow.
LikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:05 PM   #15784
Derka
Wicked F*ckin Retahded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke117
Ironically, I really enjoyed the Hobbit, but that was an adventure novel, really. I'm still baffled by the fact that Peter Jackson stretched it out to three, 2 and half hour movies.
Of the things The Hobbit did poorly, this wasn't one of those things for me. You can't tell the story of The Hobbit in a film the way its told in the book and have it be anything more than an incomplete film.

A couple of examples why:
- Gandalf just straight up vanishes for a big chunk of the book and then reappears right before the Battle. The book never tells you where he goes; he just leaves. You can't have a main character just up and leave, especially arguably THE central character of these six movies.
- Bilbo is knocked unconscious for the majority of the actual Battle itself; it starts, he gets conked on the head, he wakes up and the Battle is over. Tolkien gives a brief rundown of a few things that happen and then rejoins Bilbo when he wakes up. You can't tell a battle story like that on screen.
- Several meaningful sequences in the films (escape from Mirkwood, Lake Town, Rivendell, the entire freaking Battle itself), Tolkien gives them absolutely no substance in the book, preferring to strictly stay with events through Bilbo's eyes. Don't forget, the book was written for children; the movies were constructed for a much broader audience. Kids don't really care about Bard beyond the fact that he eventually kills the dragon and becomes King doing so. You can't tell his story in the film that way.

I can forgive the abundant use of CGI. PJ had 2.5 years to pre-produce the LotR movies...for The Hobbit films, he had 5-6 months after del Toro left the project. Sorry but you're not going to be able to build massive city-sized outdoor sets and truck them out to remote locations around New Zealand with that kind of time frame; you're gonna have to go green screen for a lot of stuff and you could tell watching the special features for these movies that PJ wasn't terribly happy with having to do it.

Overall, I don't hate The Hobbit movies the way a lot of folks do. I actually rather enjoyed them. People wanted them to be LotR 2.0 and that just wasn't what they were going to be. Personally, I think a lot of the criticism is intensely hipsterish with those movies, i.e. "Oh my God, totally not as good as the originals"...followed by regurgitated generic complaints they read from some blog.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:16 PM   #15785
Derka
Wicked F*ckin Retahded

The Night Before - 8/10
Some genuinely well-constructed laugh-out-loud moments; the movie has some heart as a Christmas movie should. I have a strong love/hate relationship with Seth Rogan, but his performance is one to love in this one. Levitt is the emotional center of the film and he does it well along with tossing out a yuck or two. Michael Shannon is the quiet star of the movie as Mr. Green. Had no idea Mindy Kaling and Lizzy Kaplan were in this but they were alright.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:22 PM   #15786
West-Side
Goat Loading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derka
Of the things The Hobbit did poorly, this wasn't one of those things for me. You can't tell the story of The Hobbit in a film the way its told in the book and have it be anything more than an incomplete film.

A couple of examples why:
- Gandalf just straight up vanishes for a big chunk of the book and then reappears right before the Battle. The book never tells you where he goes; he just leaves. You can't have a main character just up and leave, especially arguably THE central character of these six movies.
- Bilbo is knocked unconscious for the majority of the actual Battle itself; it starts, he gets conked on the head, he wakes up and the Battle is over. Tolkien gives a brief rundown of a few things that happen and then rejoins Bilbo when he wakes up. You can't tell a battle story like that on screen.
- Several meaningful sequences in the films (escape from Mirkwood, Lake Town, Rivendell, the entire freaking Battle itself), Tolkien gives them absolutely no substance in the book, preferring to strictly stay with events through Bilbo's eyes. Don't forget, the book was written for children; the movies were constructed for a much broader audience. Kids don't really care about Bard beyond the fact that he eventually kills the dragon and becomes King doing so. You can't tell his story in the film that way.

I can forgive the abundant use of CGI. PJ had 2.5 years to pre-produce the LotR movies...for The Hobbit films, he had 5-6 months after del Toro left the project. Sorry but you're not going to be able to build massive city-sized outdoor sets and truck them out to remote locations around New Zealand with that kind of time frame; you're gonna have to go green screen for a lot of stuff and you could tell watching the special features for these movies that PJ wasn't terribly happy with having to do it.

Overall, I don't hate The Hobbit movies the way a lot of folks do. I actually rather enjoyed them. People wanted them to be LotR 2.0 and that just wasn't what they were going to be. Personally, I think a lot of the criticism is intensely hipsterish with those movies, i.e. "Oh my God, totally not as good as the originals"...followed by regurgitated generic complaints they read from some blog.

Uhm, The Hobbit movies are excellent films.
Who the hell hates them?

The Desolation is perhaps on the same level as Two Towers and Fellowship to me. I loved that movie. The finale was pretty disappointing though but I really liked the first two movies.

Deathly Hallows Part 2 - 94 / 100.
Easily the best movie out of the series.

Everything was perfect about it.
The dark tone, acting, battles, twists.

I still have my reservation about the ending though.
I've heard many different reasons, but they all have glaring holes in them.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:40 PM   #15787
Shade8780
Banned

Quote:
It's actually the opposite.

People wanted a Hobbit movie or two. Instead, they got three three-hour long LotR prequels.
Shade8780 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #15788
Shade8780
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by West-Side
Who the hell hates them?

The Desolation is perhaps on the same level as Two Towers and Fellowship to me. I loved that movie. The finale was pretty disappointing though but I really liked the first two movies.
you REALLY get my blood pressure up.

why do you say dumb shit? seriously. that was just cancer.

journey: 64% rt, 58% meta

desolation: 74% rt, 66% meta

battle: 60% rt, 59% meta

right, who the hell could hate them? uhh, most lotr fans maybe? they're literally the star wars prequels for a new generation.

how can you honestly say desolation is as good as fellowship or two towers, two of the greatest films of all-time?
Old 11-23-2015, 12:49 PM   #15789
Shade8780
Banned

i respect opinions, but that was plain insulting.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:50 PM   #15790
Derka
Wicked F*ckin Retahded

Quote:
Who the hell hates them?

Lots of folks don't like those movies, dude. I'm certainly not one of them but I've felt compelled to defend some of the more unfair criticisms many times, although there are some criticisms I actually agree with.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:53 PM   #15791
West-Side
Goat Loading

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade8780
you REALLY get my blood pressure up.

why do you say dumb shit? seriously. that was just cancer.

journey: 64% rt, 58% meta

desolation: 74% rt, 66% meta

battle: 60% rt, 59% meta

right, who the hell could hate them? uhh, most lotr fans maybe? they're literally the star wars prequels for a new generation.

how can you honestly say desolation is as good as fellowship or two towers, two of the greatest films of all-time?

Does your blood pressure really goes up over an online forum?
Geez man, you need some new hobbies then.

I enjoyed Desolation more than The Two Tower.
Just my opinion.

You get angry when I use reviews to justify video games but then turn around and use my own argument that you criticized me for earlier?

Honestly, I know most people will take The Two Tower over Desolation, but I just enjoyed that movie more.

Just like I enjoyed Platoon over Apocalypse Now and Saving Private Ryan; even though both movies are better rated.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:56 PM   #15792
West-Side
Goat Loading

Quote:
Lots of folks don't like those movies, dude. I'm certainly not one of them but I've felt compelled to defend some of the more unfair criticisms many times, although there are some criticisms I actually agree with.

Well, I used the word "hate" for a reason.
Hobbit movies are very good films.

You usually hate absolute trash, like Grease 2 or 3 Ninjas etc.
I'm sure there are people who didn't enjoy them or thought they were mediocre, or even bad. But using the word "hate" is like saying "they were terrible" to me.

Far from it.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:56 PM   #15793
Shade8780
Banned

Quote:
Does your blood pressure really goes up over an online forum?
Geez man, you need some new hobbies then.

I enjoyed Desolation more than The Two Tower.
Just my opinion.

You get angry when I use reviews to justify video games but then turn around and use my own argument that you criticized me for earlier?

Honestly, I know most people will take The Two Tower over Desolation, but I just enjoyed that movie more.

Just like I enjoyed Platoon over Apocalypse Now and Saving Private Ryan; even though both movies are better rated.
lol whatever

no ffs. i got mad because you ONLY used metacritic scores for about ten pages of arguments. i asked you over and over to give us your thoughts on why it's good, and all i got was "bcuz 95 on metacritic".
Old 11-23-2015, 12:57 PM   #15794
Derka
Wicked F*ckin Retahded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade8780
It's actually the opposite.

People wanted a Hobbit movie or two. Instead, they got three three-hour long LotR prequels.

People wanted a lot of different things from those films. Overall, the LotR films were so revolutionary...so much like nothing else we'd seen before...I think people wanted THAT again. Not possible, imo. You can't lose your virginity twice.

And if people were mad that they got a LotR prequel, that's on them: The Hobbit *is* a LotR prequel. Those events lead to what we see in LotR and LotR couldn't be the story it is without events of The Hobbit. And that story is too complex to be "a Hobbit movie or two" if you're going to tell it completely and not do like Tolkien did and just leave massive portions of it out only to slap it in the Appendices of the sequel years later.

Last edited by Derka : 11-23-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 12:58 PM   #15795
Thorpesaurous
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Going to watch Room probably Friday with the girl.
Sicario is a good movie.

I'd give it 84 or so, the first half is much better than the 2nd half though.

Enjoy. It's such a unique experience. I hope you like it.

I didn't have the same reaction to the last act of Sicario as most people. I seemed to see it more as a sequence of set pieces. But it is an excellent movie.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: