Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2006, 08:35 PM   #151
Juvenile
Serious playground baller
 
Juvenile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 441
Default

Quote:
3 goes into 10 3 times, do that over and over, you keep getting 0.3333333333333333...FOREVER...
and everytime you do that, there'll be something left. And that's exactly why .9r does not equal 1.

You just answered your own question
Juvenile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:38 PM   #152
raiderfan19
Shazam!
 
raiderfan19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan2
.0 repeating infinity with a 1 at the end? LOL

Why couldn't that 1 just be another 0...The 0 goes on forever...You can't add 1 to an infinity... Can you? Can you add 1 to an infinity...NO...Infinity goes on forever...So do the 0s...



You mean its true value is not 0.3 repeating? What is it then? Is a 4 gonna show up? Is a 2 gonna show up? Or are you saying the methods to do division on paper are just wrong...Guess what, they aren't...3 goes into 10 3 times, do that over and over, you keep getting 0.3333333333333333...FOREVER...Thats why its called...0.3 repeating...






So now you are gonna disagree with 0.9 repeating minus 0.9 repeating is 0? Because thats what you did up there...9 + 0.9 repeating - 0.9 repeating = 0...That is basic math...Come on...

Are seriously gonna tell me 0.9r - 0.9r don't equal 0?


Whats between 3.9r and 4? Nothing...Because 3.9r DOES equal 4...Haven't you figured out that 0.9 repating = 1?

So once again...What is in between 0.9 repeating and 1? There has to be something, if they aren't equal



The problem with this my simple minded friend is that you are basing your whole logic on conclusions that are false. You base everything on the assumption that 0.3repeating and 1/3 is equal when they arent. Think about it, you can NEVER stop righting the 3s hence the infinite part and because of that, you can never use that number in any calculation with 100% accuracy. BTW, you said I dont use a system of equations and then used a system of equations but youre still doing it wrong because it doesnt apply to a single variable equation. Youre right about the difference between 1 and 0.9 repeating when you ask why couldnt you just add another 0 where you put the 1. The PROBLEM with your logic is that no matter how many times you do it 10-9 will always leave a 1 so at some point you would have 0.0-and then 1. Never even with infinite 9s will you get 10-9=0 and thus they arent equivalent.
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:40 PM   #153
IceMan2
Local High School Star
 
IceMan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,770
Default

Quote:
If I can't add something to an infinity, that also means you can't subtract from an infinity, because subtraction IS actually addition, negative addition.

You can't add a number to infinity...That goes against the concept of infinity


But you can subtract infinity from infinity which gives you 0...Bascially...The answer must still go through the rules of infinity, or still be an infinity...

Like you CAN subtract 0.6 repeating - 0.3 repeating...Why? Because the answer is still an infinity of 3s, nothing surprising...You are going to keep getting 3s no matter what...The answer to that is 0.3r
IceMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:42 PM   #154
Juvenile
Serious playground baller
 
Juvenile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 441
Default

but you said 1 = .9r. That's an infinite number, so why can't I add it?
Juvenile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:43 PM   #155
IceMan2
Local High School Star
 
IceMan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvenile
and everytime you do that, there'll be something left. And that's exactly why .9r does not equal 1.

You just answered your own question
So what are you trying to say...The difference is a 0.3 somewhere?

Your right, there will always be something left over...And thats why mathmaticians made the number...

0.3 REPEATING....

That solves that...That means it can go on forever period...There won't be anythng left over when it comes to infinity
IceMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #156
Jerm
I'm trying to improve myself. I'm the new, better Jerm
 
Jerm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Okokomaiko
Posts: 802
Default

This thread shouldn't go to 8 pages. .9 repeating will never get to equal 1. .9*infinity equals infinity, not 1. End this thread quickly.
Jerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #157
Juvenile
Serious playground baller
 
Juvenile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Germany
Posts: 441
Default

Quote:
And thats why mathmaticians made the number...

yep, it's a MADE number, to illustrate the value of 1/3. But it does not really exist. Neither does it have the same value

edit: actually, Jerm is right. IceAge is just typing the same nonsense für the whole 8 pages. He's like a mis-programmed robot that can't grasp that any information he has could be wrong. Just the same all over again, every post
Juvenile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:48 PM   #158
IceMan2
Local High School Star
 
IceMan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderfan19
The problem with this my simple minded friend is that you are basing your whole logic on conclusions that are false. You base everything on the assumption that 0.3repeating and 1/3 is equal when they arent. Think about it, you can NEVER stop righting the 3s hence the infinite part and because of that, you can never use that number in any calculation with 100% accuracy. BTW, you said I dont use a system of equations and then used a system of equations but youre still doing it wrong because it doesnt apply to a single variable equation. Youre right about the difference between 1 and 0.9 repeating when you ask why couldnt you just add another 0 where you put the 1. The PROBLEM with your logic is that no matter how many times you do it 10-9 will always leave a 1 so at some point you would have 0.0-and then 1. Never even with infinite 9s will you get 10-9=0 and thus they arent equivalent.
How does my equation not apply?

It works right here

x=8
10x=80
10-x=80-8
9x=72
x=8

Does the equation work or not? Its not really a system of equation solving for anything...It is just using basic math principles, that should work out equally...Why does it work on EVERY OTHER NUMBER, and not on the 0.9 repeating?

And strange, you didn't attempt to answer the question, whats between 0.9r and 1 if they aren't equal?
IceMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:49 PM   #159
IceMan2
Local High School Star
 
IceMan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm
This thread shouldn't go to 8 pages. .9 repeating will never get to equal 1. .9*infinity equals infinity, not 1. End this thread quickly.
OK...Very funny

1 isn't a infinite number...But that doesn't mean a different type of number can't equal it...
IceMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:50 PM   #160
IceMan2
Local High School Star
 
IceMan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,770
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvenile
yep, it's a MADE number, to illustrate the value of 1/3. But it does not really exist. Neither does it have the same value

edit: actually, Jerm is right. IceAge is just typing the same nonsense für the whole 8 pages. He's like a mis-programmed robot that can't grasp that any information he has could be wrong. Just the same all over again, every post
Go against all 5 of those points...
IceMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 08:54 PM   #161
IceMan2
Local High School Star
 
IceMan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,770
Default

Another thing...


ENOUGH with all the posts saying its like an asymtope, "approaching" 1...

0.9 repeating is a NUMBER...1 NUMBER...It doesn't move, and go approaching 1, it has its own place...So none of that either...
IceMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:04 PM   #162
Jerm
I'm trying to improve myself. I'm the new, better Jerm
 
Jerm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Okokomaiko
Posts: 802
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan2
Another thing...


ENOUGH with all the posts saying its like an asymtope, "approaching" 1...

0.9 repeating is a NUMBER...1 NUMBER...It doesn't move, and go approaching 1, it has its own place...So none of that either...

Umm...It's very much like an asymptote and it isn't a single number. .99>.9 so .9 repeating is increasing and moving towards 1 but it will never get there. .9 repeating isn't and will never be equal to 1, this thread should have gone past page 1.
Jerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:06 PM   #163
IceMan2
Local High School Star
 
IceMan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,770
Default

Okay einstein...


What is wrong with this equation


x=0.9 repeating

10x = 9.9 repeating

10-x = 9.9 repeating - 0.9 repeating

9x = 9

x = 1




And what is between 0.9 repeating and 1 then? If they aren't equal, there must be something between them...
IceMan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:16 PM   #164
raiderfan19
Shazam!
 
raiderfan19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,028
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan2
Okay einstein...


What is wrong with this equation


x=0.9 repeating

10x = 9.9 repeating

10-x = 9.9 repeating - 0.9 repeating

9x = 9

x = 1




And what is between 0.9 repeating and 1 then? If they aren't equal, there must be something between them...
In order for youre 3rd statement to be true, there would have to be a 0 at the end of the 9.9 repeating once you multiply it by 10. IE If you multiply .9 with 10 9s, by 10 you would get 9.999999999-.9999999999which gives you 8.9999999991=9x. Then when you divide by 9 you would get .9 with 10 9s. That would work no matter how many nines you put on it but the point is that when you multiply by 10 you are moving the decimal point to the left 1 so the .9 r that you are subtracting would have one more 9 to the right of the decimal no matter what number of 9s you decided to use for the begining.
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 09:17 PM   #165
raiderfan19
Shazam!
 
raiderfan19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,028
Default

to simplify, .9repeating times 10 - .9repeating does NOT equal 9. it equals 8.9repeating and then 1.
raiderfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:34 PM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook


















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy