Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-24-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
Knuck the Ficks
Come touch it, Dave

Default Ibrahimovic to Barca, Eto'o the other way?

http://goal.com/en/news/10/italy/200...al-is-complete

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,195...449958,00.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...nale-barcelona

The deal has almost been finalised. It looks like being:

Barcelona receive: Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Inter Milan receive: Samuel Eto'o + 40 million euros + Aleksandr Hleb on loan

My thoughts:

(1)
I think Barcelona are making a big mistake here. Samuel Eto'o has come up big for them over the past five seasons with an amazing 108 goals from 145 games. Two of those goals of course coming in the '06 and '09 Champions League Final.

(2)
Ibra is without a doubt one of the most talented footballers I have ever seen . But he has not produced for Inter in the Champions League. Remember Eto'o's first goal against United? I honestly believe that Ibra would have shot wide. People can point to all those Scudetto's to which I'll say this: big deal. Inter have had the deepest squad in Italy for the past three years. And they'll win the title again this year with Eto'o.

(3)
The part that really shocks me is the 40 million Euros. Eto'o is 28 while Ibra is 27. Eto'o has won more trophies. Why the hell is Barcelona paying such a ridiculous fee?

(4)
When people look back a Samuel Eto'o's Barcelona career the first thing that will come to mind will probably be the goals against Arsenal in '06 and United in '09. And rightfully so. So I'll finish my post with a different Eto'o moment, an incident I remember being genuinely shocked by:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQv4aIXaGQ4

Last edited by Knuck the Ficks : 07-24-2009 at 08:33 AM.
Knuck the Ficks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
craigthomasb
College star

Default Re: Ibrahimovic to Barca, Eto'o the other way?

best deal of the season for inter, eto'o and hleb for ibra would be fair, but the extra 40 million euros great deal for inter
craigthomasb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:35 PM   #3
LJJ
Extra Cheese

You guys are missing a couple of things. Of course Zlatan is not worth 40 million more than Eto'o.

The thing is that Eto'o only had a deal for 1 more year in Barcelona, and did not want to re-sign. Ibrahimovic still had at least 3 years left on his contract and that is why his transfer value is so much higher.
Eto'o was happy being in the spotlights in Barca for the moment, but he was also making himself ready to leave for the highest bidder in 2010 and that certainly would not have been Barcelona.

The theory behind Ibrahimovic working out for Barcelona is this:
Eto'o is a product of the Ronaldinho era. Barca's strategy was basically: pass the ball to Ronaldinho, let him create havoc and someone will benefit. Eto'o is a great finisher, but he is as goal oriented as they come. He always goes for his chance.

But currently the strategy of Barcelona is to swarm around the box of the opponent, and let players make the combination.

The reason Ibrahimovic should be good, is because Ibrahimovic is at least as much an assist man as a goal scorer. And don't kid yourself, those incredible statistics in the Serie A don't lie. Still curious to see if it will work out like that though. Barca better not send Krkic away just yet.
LJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:50 PM   #4
The Big Skinny
The champ is here.

Hleb is garbage now....he was worthless for Barca..

I am kinda of pissed were lettin Eto'o go...he is a class act
The Big Skinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:33 PM   #5
The GM
#ballislife

Happy this is getting done, Eto'o is trying to hold us hostage better to get him out now then him single handedly try and destroy our team with this antics. Ibra is a very very good player and I think he can fill Eto'o's shoes or even do better as he is extremely more versatile then sammy. Ibra gives us an ariel attack now that we didnt have but now with the addition of him we can feature him if we see those sorry english teams in the later rounds of the CL when they decide to park the bus infront of net. Btw Hleb is trash, he hada go hopefully he does something over in Italy so he'll want to stay over there cause there is no room from him on our team.. It's going to be funny watching Eto'o mope all over the place at Inter and everyone will see he is not as great as xavi, messi, iniesta, henry have made him look.. he'll probably get around 15-17 goals but i dont expect much more then that from him as the Inter team really still has no playmakers.. just hope everyone that bashes Ibrah from "not showing up" slams Eto'o for not doing the same thing with garbage ass Inter.

Last edited by The GM : 07-24-2009 at 08:36 PM.
The GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:12 AM   #6
sergiorodriguez

Zlatan is the biggest primaddona in world football and such a wuss. Barcelona will get worse for this-3 wusses will be up front-Messi, Zlatan and Henry, they needed Eto'o because he was the only guy who wasn't a pussy softy. They will be worse this year I have no doubt in my mind
Old 07-25-2009, 04:24 AM   #7
thekavorka
Made that high school varsity squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Skinny
Hleb is garbage now....he was worthless for Barca..

I am kinda of pissed were lettin Eto'o go...he is a class act

Hleb is still a very good player. The only problem is that he has to play behind the two best players in the world, Xavi and Iniesta.

Him and Flamini should have never left Arsenal.
thekavorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:34 AM   #8
Knuck the Ficks
Come touch it, Dave

I think that from Barcelona's point of view there is a lot of pride at stake here. I can't remember the last time an established elite player left a club on a free transfer (has it ever happened??).

IMO Laporta thinks it would be embarrassing if that were to happen next year. While I agree to some extent I still think that 40 million Euros is a ridiculous amount of money to pay for what may not even be an upgrade.
Knuck the Ficks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:56 AM   #9
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Ibrahimovic is arguably the best striker in the world. This should make Barca a better team.
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 06:04 AM   #10
takeittothehoop
ISH Lurker

Barca trying to keep up with Real Madrid...I'm guessing?
takeittothehoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:28 AM   #11
sergiorodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
Ibrahimovic is arguably the best striker in the world. This should make Barca a better team.
Drogba, Villa, Eto'o, Rooney, Adebeyor, Aguerro, Luis Fabiano, Amauri all way better than Zlatan, Zlatan is a soft ***** who doesn't show up in Europe. When's his last champions league goal? Has he ever scored in Europe in his life?
Old 07-25-2009, 08:30 AM   #12
KoolKat
National High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiorodriguez
Drogba, Villa, Eto'o, Rooney, Adebeyor, Aguerro, Luis Fabiano, Amauri all way better than Zlatan, Zlatan is a soft ***** who doesn't show up in Europe. When's his last champions league goal? Has he ever scored in Europe in his life?

Amauri dude ?
KoolKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 08:37 AM   #13
sergiorodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolKat
Amauri dude ?
guess whos hows up in Europe
Old 07-25-2009, 08:39 AM   #14
KoolKat
National High School Star

Quote:
guess whos hows up in Europe

Amauri's not better than Zlatan, but Inter strugles in Europe tho
KoolKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:12 AM   #15
Brunch@Five
College superstar

Quote:

Villa and Rooney are arguably better, but the rest?
Brunch@Five is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: