Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-24-2009, 02:26 PM   #31
Batman
High School Varsity 6th Man

Default Re: So my GF's brother has an 8yr old kid Ryan...

Dude i am a firm believer in your naturally born with things and passion at an early age. The people who were the smartest kids in 1st grade are the same teenagers who are the smartest in 12th grade. l The people who were dumbbazzes and slow in 1st are the same ones in 12th grade Like Ryan. This doesn't always work, but about 90% of the time it is.

Just like with sports you don't even have to be a pro or anything, the best basketball player on a Varsity team was beating ppls azz on the basketball court when he was 8 years old in his YMCA league.

What I am saying is run with what he likes to do. Take that Wii from him get him a PS3/Xbox360 and get him Madden. Nowadays people win 10-100k in Madden Nation/Madden Challenge. If you train him at a very very early age he will be damn good when he is old enough like 15 or so like a phucking prodigy

Just ask the winners from Madden Nation they are always around 23 years of age He will tell you when he was 8 years old all he did was sit down and play video games all day.

Last edited by Batman : 07-24-2009 at 02:28 PM.
Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:26 PM   #32
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
That's because she's looking for a sucker who can help her take care of that bad little crumbsnatcher.
sure. she had one (he still does pay for pretty much everything). Its because shes self-centered. Much like that entire generation tends to be.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:38 PM   #33
Hawker
Repeal FATCA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
Let me guess, are yall white? I blame the parents.

lol...black people in the ghetto graduate high school without learning how to read

Dont be stupid.
Hawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #34
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
why the **** does it matter what ethnicity they'all are? Maybe hes white, his gfs black and her half brother is blasian?

It doesn't matter but I just think its funny. I've seen it so many times when I worked in retail. White mom or dad with no control over their bad ass kid that makes them look like fools. Its hilarious. And yes, 99.9% of the time, it was the Whites. I remember seeing this kid telling him Mom to SHUT UP and she didn't do a damn thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawker
lol...black people in the ghetto graduate high school without learning how to read

Dont be stupid.

I was blaming his situation on his parents, not because hes white. I asked if they were white because it sounds like a story a white person would tell. You can't tell me that the main people at fault in this situation are not his parents. Thats crazy.

Last edited by SCREWstonRockets : 07-24-2009 at 02:43 PM.
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:44 PM   #35
Take Your Lumps
Banned

Anyone who looks at our public school system and still doesn't spend one-on-one time helping their kids learn is asking for trouble.
Take Your Lumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 02:44 PM   #36
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
It doesn't matter but I just think its funny. I've seen it so many times when I worked in retail. White mom or dad with no control over their bad ass kid that makes them look like fools. Its hilarious. And yes, 99.9% of the time, it was the Whites. I remember seeing this kid telling him Mom to SHUT UP and she didn't do a damn thing.

I was blaming his situation on his parents, not because hes white. I asked if they were white because it sounds like a story a white person would tell. You can't tell me that the main people at fault in this situation are not his parents. Thats crazy.
sure, and ive also seen plenty of out of control black and hispanic kids. Anyone can be a terrible parent
Old 07-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #37
Smokee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take Your Lumps
Anyone who looks at our public school system and still doesn't spend one-on-one time helping their kids learn is asking for trouble.

the public school system is more or less fine. Every student in the U.S. has enough public tools at their disposal to learn. Its the attitudes and all of the outside of school pitfalls in America that are a major reason why there are so many issues. Everyone has textbooks, public libraries, pen and paper, teachers at their disposal, and no matter what anyone says thats all students that want to learn really need. Problem is most don't want to learn than hang out or goof off, and that rubs off.

Also ethnicities do make a difference in disciplined kids by and large. I'm not saying hitting your kid is a good thing but i bet that kid will be a lot more disciplined than the kid that is never disciplined harshly. problem is the disciplined kid will likely end up a ***** because he was beat down to obey authorities, more than the kid who isn't and used to standing up to authority. There are always pros and cons.
Smokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:13 PM   #38
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Ive seen out of control kids of every race. that being said, its very rare that you will see an out of control asian or middle eastern kid. it is probably due to the culture which places a huge emphasis on respect to the parents and what not.

considering that i am asian and am exposed to them alot, i still see more out of control black kids then any other race. second would probably be white kids and then hispanic. yes, this is just a generalization and we cant paint an entire race with a broad stroke, this is just my observations. oh yeh, i'd also like to point out that i have never seen an out of control african-black kid.

i'll step back and grab some marshmallows for the coming flames now.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:18 PM   #39
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokee
the public school system is more or less fine. Every student in the U.S. has enough public tools at their disposal to learn. Its the attitudes and all of the outside of school pitfalls in America that are a major reason why there are so many issues. Everyone has textbooks, public libraries, pen and paper, teachers at their disposal, and no matter what anyone says thats all students that want to learn really need. Problem is most don't want to learn than hang out or goof off, and that rubs off.

Also ethnicities do make a difference in disciplined kids by and large. I'm not saying hitting your kid is a good thing but i bet that kid will be a lot more disciplined than the kid that is never disciplined harshly. problem is the disciplined kid will likely end up a ***** because he was beat down to obey authorities, more than the kid who isn't and used to standing up to authority. There are always pros and cons.

our schools are not fine. public school standards here are ridiculously low compared to other first world countries. there is too much coddling and dumbing down of the curriculum to accommodate kids who are unwilling to try.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:28 PM   #40
Smokee
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezznor
our schools are not fine. public school standards here are ridiculously low compared to other first world countries. there is too much coddling and dumbing down of the curriculum to accommodate kids who are unwilling to try.

its easy to blame that on the system and the teachers more than the students attitudes, but fact is you can't make students learn that don't want to, and that applies to most public school students. Like i said all of the tools are there to learn, and i'd argue its more American culture, and all of the distractions with all of our freedoms, than it is our public school system and the people that run it.

It bothers me how everyone blames the public school system more than the parents and culture of America. Even if you go into the real working world you'll see that the attitudes and work ethics of people born in other countries, especially less developed, being much higher than your average American. American culture tends to spoil into laziness, relatively speaking.

And then theres all of the distractions which aren't as prevalent in other countries like drugs, alcohol, bars/clubs/hangouts.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:35 PM   #41
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
its easy to blame that on the system and the teachers more than the students attitudes, but fact is you can't make students learn that don't want to, and that applies to most public school students. Like i said all of the tools are there to learn, and i'd argue its more American culture, and all of the distractions with all of our freedoms, than it is our public school system and the people that run it.

It bothers me how everyone blames the public school system more than the parents and culture of America. Even if you go into the real working world you'll see that the attitudes and work ethics of people born in other countries, especially less developed, being much higher than your average American. American culture tends to spoil into laziness, relatively speaking.

And then theres all of the distractions which aren't as prevalent in other countries like drugs, alcohol, bars/clubs/hangouts.

dont get me wrong, its not entirely the schools fault, im not even saying it is mostly the school's fault. it all starts at home and if you have a parent that doesnt care, then unless the kid is mature and responsible beyond his years then the kid wont achieve much.

and yes, i am from an immigrant family so i know exactly what you are talking about. even though my parents were each working 2 jobs when they first came over they made sure to spend time with me at home and make sure i succeeded in school.

what i am saying however is that our curriculum lags tremendously behind other nations. stuff we are learning in the first few years of college are taught in high school overseas.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:54 PM   #42
Automajic23
Playground Legend

Quote:
are you black, white, azn, red, or what?

People always pretend having kids is the ultimate fulfillment, and yet 90% of the time i see kids they are as much of a pain in the ass as this kid sounds.

I'm filipino. My girlfriends family is chinese. The kid is 1/2 chinese 1/2 white
Automajic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #43
Smokee
Banned

Quote:
dont get me wrong, its not entirely the schools fault, im not even saying it is mostly the school's fault. it all starts at home and if you have a parent that doesnt care, then unless the kid is mature and responsible beyond his years then the kid wont achieve much.

and yes, i am from an immigrant family so i know exactly what you are talking about. even though my parents were each working 2 jobs when they first came over they made sure to spend time with me at home and make sure i succeeded in school.

what i am saying however is that our curriculum lags tremendously behind other nations. stuff we are learning in the first few years of college are taught in high school overseas.

well heres an analogy that perfectly describes the way i look at it. Its like someone who says "oh i don't have a personal gym, no Soloflex, dumbells, ellipticals, etc. therefore i can't workout". When if he was really motivated he would be doing pushups, jumpropes, situps, and not making those excuses. He has all of the tools to get what he supposedly wants at his fingertips, but its more an excuse.

Its the same with kids and parents who blame the public school system. I mean i could understand if we're talking about some impoverished country that doesn't have any textbooks for students, paper and pens were hard to come by, and no public libraries or internet access. But American public schools have so much more than the detractors criticize them for, that if a student wants to truly learn, its all there and then some to succeed. But people look for excuses like "look at this school, they don't even have more than 5 computers so students have to share" or some other excuse to pretend its always a funding or teacher issue. I truly feel sorry for inner city teachers because they have to deal with some of the worst parents, and unruly kids, but they get the blame.

Its like the government, media, etc. are afraid to blame parents, american culture, etc. more than the easy scapegoat of not enough money or poor teachers. Any kid that is motivated enough has no excuses in America as far as i'm concerned for not being able to get an education if they really wanted one.
Old 07-24-2009, 04:59 PM   #44
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
http://www.filthyrichmond.com/2009/0...-teachers.html
Old 07-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #45
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound

rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: