Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 07-25-2009, 04:53 PM   #1
ClutchCity95
Banned

Default Rangers pitcher tests positive for swine flu

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=4354938
Quote:
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Texas Rangers pitcher Vicente Padilla tested positive for swine flu, though his symptoms are subsiding and he's expected to make his next start.

Padilla was scratched from his start Wednesday against Boston due to flulike symptoms, and lab reports Friday indicated he had H1N1 A influenza. He is thought to be the first athlete in U.S. major pro sports to be diagnosed with swine flu.

"He was as surprised as anyone when we told him this was the case," Rangers assistant general manager Thad Levine said. "From everything we've been told, this is certainly a different strain of the normal flu and by nature might be deemed more serious, but you really wouldn't treat it any differently."

Several Rangers players have been hit with the flu this week, including Eddie Guardado, Omar Vizquel and David Murphy. Catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia was scratched from Friday night's game against Kansas City due to the flu.

The team held a meeting Wednesday advising everyone to take necessary hygiene precautions, and the Rangers' flight to Kansas City was delayed until Friday morning in order to provide additional recovery time. Cultures have been sent away to determine if any other players have swine flu.

"Without speculating, I think it is reasonable to expect that we may find some of our other guys have it," Levine said. "We've been medicating our players. We would use the same medication and the same kind program to rehabilitate them and they've all shown improvement. Those are the positive signs."
ClutchCity95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:02 PM   #2
D.J.
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Rangers pitcher tests positive for swine flu

I hope he recovers quickly. But to be honest, most people make swine flu seem worse than it actually is. Unless you are very young, elderly, or have a weakened immune system, swine flu is not going to kill you, nor is it going to make you gravely ill. All it is, is a lighter version of influenza. I know three people that came down with swine and they all were about 80-90 percent within 2-3 days. Actual influenza has you at home for nearly a week.
D.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
lolwut
I tip for good cervix.

supposedly it's not a big deal, they said on Sportscenter he might not even miss one start
lolwut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:16 PM   #4
twolvesfan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.J.
I hope he recovers quickly. But to be honest, most people make swine flu seem worse than it actually is. Unless you are very young, elderly, or have a weakened immune system, swine flu is not going to kill you, nor is it going to make you gravely ill. All it is, is a lighter version of influenza. I know three people that came down with swine and they all were about 80-90 percent within 2-3 days. Actual influenza has you at home for nearly a week.
it also unfairly targets fat people
http://bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=2...d=aM.7Dg3Z_msI
twolvesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: