Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
Low End Theory
Decent playground baller

Default Effect age has on our perspective of events

This past weekend, my brother had his graduation party for successfully graduating high school. He has had a bit of a rough past, which I will not go into detail about, so this is a big achievement and everyone is very proud of him. We had every relative in our family and some friends over to celebrate the occasion.

As I sat there trying to figure out plans after the party, I felt guilty for not being fully in the moment, and taking advantage of the opportunity to spend time with the family member that I do not get to see often. This made me wonder how my attitude and perspective of the party differed from my 80 year old grandparents.

There life is obviously nearing its end and they are well aware of it. This might be one of the last great memories that they get to have in their life and share with their family. As for me, I have my life ahead of me and a blank canvas to paint on.

Does age make us more appreciative of things? Is it easier to live in the moment when you are older?
Low End Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
Lil Bibby
Banned

Default Re: Effect age has on our perspective of events

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low End Theory
This past weekend, my brother had his graduation party for successfully graduating high school. He has had a bit of a rough past, which I will not go into detail about, so this is a big achievement and everyone is very proud of him. We had every relative in our family and some friends over to celebrate the occasion.

As I sat there trying to figure out plans after the party, I felt guilty for not being fully in the moment, and taking advantage of the opportunity to spend time with the family member that I do not get to see often. This made me wonder how my attitude and perspective of the party differed from my 80 year old grandparents.

There life is obviously nearing its end and they are well aware of it. This might be one of the last great memories that they get to have in their life and share with their family. As for me, I have my life ahead of me and a blank canvas to paint on.

Does age make us more appreciative of things? Is it easier to live in the moment when you are older?

Ya know.... when you get older you start lose things... that's part of growing up. But... you only learn this once those things are gone. You start to realize that life is a game of inches.

So yes... It's much more easier to live in the moment when you are older, because only then you can realize how great it was to be young.
Lil Bibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
Low End Theory
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Bibby
Ya know.... when you get older you start lose things... that's part of growing up. But... you only learn this once those things are gone. You start to realize that life is a game of inches.

So yes... It's much more easier to live in the moment when you are older, because only then you can realize how great it was to be young.

Is the bolded part a reference to Al Pacino's speech in Any Given Sunday?
Old 06-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #4
gts
shhhhhhh

Quote:
Is the bolded part a reference to Al Pacino's speech in Any Given Sunday?
haha yes..the guy can't even give his impression on life without stealing someone else's lines

to quote addy in Paper Moon
"if he had any morals they would probably belong to someone else"

Last edited by gts : 06-10-2008 at 01:08 PM.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
Lil Bibby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
haha yes..the guy can't even give his impression on life without stealing someone else's lines

Yea I stole it... And I knew it would be obvious.

Greatest speech about life... ever!!!
Old 06-10-2008, 01:27 PM   #6
Low End Theory
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Bibby
Yea I stole it... And I knew it would be obvious.

Greatest speech about life... ever!!!

It is a great speech. I get chills every time I hear it.
Old 06-10-2008, 01:33 PM   #7
Lil Bibby
Banned

Quote:
It is a great speech. I get chills every time I hear it.

Billy Bob Thorton almost had a better one in Friday Night Lights...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M76lM...eature=related

CAN YOU LIVE IN THAT MOMENT?
Old 06-10-2008, 02:43 PM   #8
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS

Quote:

socrates said: an unreflective life is not worth living

there is some truth there

just because a person is older, doesnt necessarily mean that they have greater wisdom

for those who are reflective in the way they view the world, there is a deeper appreciation for life, the present moment, opportunities to celebrate, the people right in front of us

with this way of seeing things, even hardships and struggles are embraced

there is also a certain patience and understanding that doesnt even need to be overt but that others can see

there is also a sense that there is nothing new under the sun and that eventually, it will all pass

there is also a sense of peace and "at-rightness" with the world, others and oneself

without this type of reflection, you just have older knuckleheads
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:52 AM   #9
halffttime
shorty doowop

great thread op, i learned that you definitely learn to appreciate life as you get older.

ps. lol @ al pacino line
halffttime is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: