Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
Low End Theory
Decent playground baller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 354
Default Effect age has on our perspective of events

This past weekend, my brother had his graduation party for successfully graduating high school. He has had a bit of a rough past, which I will not go into detail about, so this is a big achievement and everyone is very proud of him. We had every relative in our family and some friends over to celebrate the occasion.

As I sat there trying to figure out plans after the party, I felt guilty for not being fully in the moment, and taking advantage of the opportunity to spend time with the family member that I do not get to see often. This made me wonder how my attitude and perspective of the party differed from my 80 year old grandparents.

There life is obviously nearing its end and they are well aware of it. This might be one of the last great memories that they get to have in their life and share with their family. As for me, I have my life ahead of me and a blank canvas to paint on.

Does age make us more appreciative of things? Is it easier to live in the moment when you are older?
Low End Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
Lil Bibby
Banned
 
Lil Bibby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 769
Default Re: Effect age has on our perspective of events

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low End Theory
This past weekend, my brother had his graduation party for successfully graduating high school. He has had a bit of a rough past, which I will not go into detail about, so this is a big achievement and everyone is very proud of him. We had every relative in our family and some friends over to celebrate the occasion.

As I sat there trying to figure out plans after the party, I felt guilty for not being fully in the moment, and taking advantage of the opportunity to spend time with the family member that I do not get to see often. This made me wonder how my attitude and perspective of the party differed from my 80 year old grandparents.

There life is obviously nearing its end and they are well aware of it. This might be one of the last great memories that they get to have in their life and share with their family. As for me, I have my life ahead of me and a blank canvas to paint on.

Does age make us more appreciative of things? Is it easier to live in the moment when you are older?

Ya know.... when you get older you start lose things... that's part of growing up. But... you only learn this once those things are gone. You start to realize that life is a game of inches.


So yes... It's much more easier to live in the moment when you are older, because only then you can realize how great it was to be young.
Lil Bibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #3
Low End Theory
Decent playground baller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 354
Default Re: Effect age has on our perspective of events

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Bibby
Ya know.... when you get older you start lose things... that's part of growing up. But... you only learn this once those things are gone. You start to realize that life is a game of inches.


So yes... It's much more easier to live in the moment when you are older, because only then you can realize how great it was to be young.

Is the bolded part a reference to Al Pacino's speech in Any Given Sunday?
Low End Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:02 PM   #4
gts
shhhhhhh
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Downtown Hoops Dojo
Posts: 29,434
Default Re: Effect age has on our perspective of events

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low End Theory
Is the bolded part a reference to Al Pacino's speech in Any Given Sunday?
haha yes..the guy can't even give his impression on life without stealing someone else's lines

to quote addy in Paper Moon
"if he had any morals they would probably belong to someone else"

Last edited by gts : 06-10-2008 at 01:08 PM.
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:21 PM   #5
Lil Bibby
Banned
 
Lil Bibby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 769
Default Re: Effect age has on our perspective of events

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
haha yes..the guy can't even give his impression on life without stealing someone else's lines

Yea I stole it... And I knew it would be obvious.

Greatest speech about life... ever!!!
Lil Bibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:27 PM   #6
Low End Theory
Decent playground baller
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 354
Default Re: Effect age has on our perspective of events

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Bibby
Yea I stole it... And I knew it would be obvious.

Greatest speech about life... ever!!!

It is a great speech. I get chills every time I hear it.
Low End Theory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:33 PM   #7
Lil Bibby
Banned
 
Lil Bibby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 769
Default Re: Effect age has on our perspective of events

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low End Theory
It is a great speech. I get chills every time I hear it.

Billy Bob Thorton almost had a better one in Friday Night Lights...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M76lM...eature=related

CAN YOU LIVE IN THAT MOMENT?
Lil Bibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 02:43 PM   #8
RainierBeachPoet
NEVER forget da SONICS
 
RainierBeachPoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: seattle
Posts: 6,542
Default Re: Effect age has on our perspective of events

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low End Theory
This past weekend, my brother had his graduation party for successfully graduating high school. He has had a bit of a rough past, which I will not go into detail about, so this is a big achievement and everyone is very proud of him. We had every relative in our family and some friends over to celebrate the occasion.

As I sat there trying to figure out plans after the party, I felt guilty for not being fully in the moment, and taking advantage of the opportunity to spend time with the family member that I do not get to see often. This made me wonder how my attitude and perspective of the party differed from my 80 year old grandparents.

There life is obviously nearing its end and they are well aware of it. This might be one of the last great memories that they get to have in their life and share with their family. As for me, I have my life ahead of me and a blank canvas to paint on.

Does age make us more appreciative of things? Is it easier to live in the moment when you are older?

socrates said: an unreflective life is not worth living

there is some truth there

just because a person is older, doesnt necessarily mean that they have greater wisdom

for those who are reflective in the way they view the world, there is a deeper appreciation for life, the present moment, opportunities to celebrate, the people right in front of us

with this way of seeing things, even hardships and struggles are embraced

there is also a certain patience and understanding that doesnt even need to be overt but that others can see

there is also a sense that there is nothing new under the sun and that eventually, it will all pass

there is also a sense of peace and "at-rightness" with the world, others and oneself

without this type of reflection, you just have older knuckleheads
RainierBeachPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 08:52 AM   #9
halffttime
shorty doowop
 
halffttime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 3,387
Default Re: Effect age has on our perspective of events

great thread op, i learned that you definitely learn to appreciate life as you get older.

ps. lol @ al pacino line
halffttime is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:02 AM.




NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook


















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy