Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 10-01-2010, 05:57 AM   #181
Jasi
Quality?

Jasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Would you accept being locked in an empty room...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizko
I remember reading story for english that had a similar premise. 2 business men had a bet that one of them couldn't stay in solitary confinement for 10 years. All he got for entertainment was books. The winner would get like 1 million bucks (this was supposed to take place in the 1800's so it would be a shitload more then that now).

In the end the guy stays the 10 years, but sneaks out of the place before he can receive his reward.

Personally I would try to do it, but I have my doubts that I could actually pull it off. Eventually it would get to the point where I couldn't stand it anymore and would leave.

Hey, I remember that story too, or something very similar.
Can't remember where I read it though, off the top of my head I'd say it was a book of short stories from some Russian classic author, but I'm not sure...
Jasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:01 AM   #182
Rizko
EroticVanilla

Rizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterRizko is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasi
Hey, I remember that story too, or something very similar.
Can't remember where I read it though, off the top of my head I'd say it was a book of short stories from some Russian classic author, but I'm not sure...
Yea it's the same story. I just looked it up on wiki, it's called The Bet, by Anton Chekhov:

Quote:
The Bet is an 1889 short story by Anton Chekhov about a banker and a young man who make a bet with each other based on capital punishment and whether the death penalty is better or worse than life in prison. An ironic twist responds to this exploration of the value of a human life with an unexpected result. The terms of the wager state that if the lawyer can live in solitary confinement for 15 years, he will be given 2 million.

The lawyer spends his time in confinement reading books. In the meantime, the banker's fortune declines and he realizes that he will be unable to pay off the bet. The day before the bet is up, the banker resolves to kill the lawyer so as to not owe him the money. However, the banker finds a note written by the young man. The note declares that in his time in confinement the lawyer has learned to despise material goods for the fleeting things they are. Therefore, to demonstrate his contempt, he intends to leave confinement five minutes prior to when the bet would be up, thus losing the bet and unwittingly saving his own life.
Rizko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:05 AM   #183
Jasi
Quality?

Jasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJasi is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

^ That! Excellent!
Yeah, I remember it now. The final twist was awesome. Russian feel.
Jasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:18 AM   #184
Fallguy20
Suck-A-Fish

Fallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation hereFallguy20 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojogaqu11
What if you could get money based on the time like this:

1 day: 50 dollars
1 week: 700 dollars
2 weeks: 2,000 dollars
3 weeks: 5,000 dollars
1 month: 10,000 dollars.
3 months: 75,000 dollars
6 months: 250,000 dollars
9 months: 800,000 dollars
10 months: 2,000,000 dollars
11 months: 4,000,000 dollars
12 months: 10,000,000 dollars

Would you last longer this way or not?

IDK... if you lose sense of time you think, "Its been at least 6 months man..." and then you get 75 grand (or worse, 10) and you kick yourself for the rest of your life. If you know exactly where you are as far as days, if you can see the moon and such or have a watch then this would def work.
Fallguy20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:25 AM   #185
iamgine

iamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cool

Is this legal? I can totally see a reality TV producer making it.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 10:48 AM   #186
macmac
Gov'n

macmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
Is this legal? I can totally see a reality TV producer making it.

I don't think it makes for good tv, day 76, subject is sleeping, again...maybe an online justin tv type stream could work lol....and as long as the person in there can leave at any point in time if he/she decides to, then I don't see why it would be illegal...
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #187
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

ErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat coolErhnamDjinn is considered somewhat cool

people who are saying they would do this in a heart beat dont know what sensory deprivation does to the mind, I think you would go nuts, so Ill pass on that. The human mind is set to absorb visual content aswell as use all 5 of the sensory perception's if we are deprived of all I dont know how long I would last, this is basically solitary confinement for a year, Id probably do it if I was allowed a couple of pens and a sketch pad or notebook otherwise hell no
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:59 PM   #188
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yeah I just read up a little on sensory deprivation and the long term effects. I dont see how $10mil is gonna help that. I'll try this but I'm not certain I'll last. And if I or anyone does, good luck remaining sane and not developing some type of mental illness that may result in this.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:24 PM   #189
Jackass18
The Iron Price

Jackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJackass18 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Oh, I'd expect to go crazy in there, but the 10 mil will ease the suffering once I get out. I just hope I'm not too crazy when I get out and waste a lot of the money on crazy things.
Jackass18 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: