Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 71415161718 LastLast

Thread: Atheists.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Atheists.

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPete
    I certainly did not choose this life though. I must've scorned some S.O.B. in a previous life to give me the bad luck I have in this one.

But I continue to have faith
    lol bad luck? You're a teacher bro. You have a job.

I'm sure there are people in africa, mexico, and bangladesh that would love your job.

That's why I seriously have no sympathy for people that are depressed.

Learning to shoot layups pollackjack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ~primetime~
    If you spend your life chasing money and material things and women and constantly trying to please no one but yourself then I believe that is a life that is wasted...
    I can only assume that if you obtain them though and are not merely chasing these things, your life is not wasted. Your life is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawker
    lol bad luck? You're a teacher bro. You have a job.

I'm sure there are people in africa, mexico, and bangladesh that would love your job.

That's why I seriously have no sympathy for people that are depressed.
    Yeah you and prime are right, but I'm not depressed though. Financially strapped for years and years with huge amounts of debt and a nearly non-existent social life get ya wondering though. But I have some shady friends and all I meet are some shady women. Who's fault is that though? Probably all mine.

I'm grateful for what I've got.

~the original p.tiddy~ ~primetime~'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pollackjack
    I can only assume that if you obtain them though and are not merely chasing these things, your life is not wasted. Your life is awesome.
    IDK...

I suppose prety much every person in the world has been guilty of greed to some degreee, there is no escaping that...

I think it is just more to do with where your heart is...

I read some article about the progression of alot of rich people...it seems tht there is a common trend with alot of them...

1. wanting fame/money
    2. getting fame and money
    3. enjoying fame and money
    4. realizing that fame can suck big time
    5. realizing that material things are boring and meaningless
    6. travel around the world
    7. go on to become philanthropists

some philanthropists may be doing it for greedy reasons though...in an attempt to get others to love them and look up to them...

It is said that there is "no such thing as a selfless act"...

If you enjoy helping people, then you are doing it for your own enjoyment...

It is a difficult thing to figure out, I guess my feelings are that people should try to make others here as happy as much as possible, that should be the goal...to bring happiness around you...

some philanthropists may be doing it for greedy reasons though...in an attempt to get others to love them and look up to them...

It is said that there is "no such thing as a selfless act"...

If you enjoy helping people, then you are doing it for your own enjoyment...
    The girl I love is about to get hit by a bus. I push her out of the way and get hit myself, not because im so narcisitic that I want people at my funeral to talk about how great of a guy I was but because I honestly didnt want any harm to come to this girl and that is all... no I wasnt looking for pucsy that night either.

absolutley NO SUCH THING as a selfless act? I dont think so, but agreed that its difficult to find the pure selfless acts.

Quote Originally Posted by FG20
    The girl I love is about to get hit by a bus. I push her out of the way and get hit myself, not because im so narcisitic that I want people at my funeral to talk about how great of a guy I was but [COLOR="Red"]because I honestly didnt want[/COLOR] any harm to come to this girl and that is all... no I wasnt looking for pucsy that night either.

absolutley NO SUCH THING as a selfless act? I dont think so, but agreed that its difficult to find the pure selfless acts.
    because "YOU" didn't want...blah blah blah

you did it because it made you happy knowing that she will live...

you would rather die than live in misery without her...

you did it to make yourself happy...

her living = your happiness

I have two theories on this "creation from nothing" notion.

1) Although my understanding is limited, I believe something can be created from nothing. There is something called anti-matter, and when it collides with matter, a big boom happens.

2) Time is in the "present." As time goes forward, the "future" happens. And everything that time has passed is the "past." However, if there was no beggining point, time is travelling back towards the "past" in much the same way that it is travelling forward towards the "future." Meaning, there is no "beggining" and no "end," only what is present. So if you go back far enough, the "past" didn't happen much like how the future hasn't happened yet, its just that the timeline is going in a different direction(not forward). It's easier for me to think about it than say it, but ya.

because "YOU" didn't want...blah blah blah

you did it because it made you happy knowing that she will live...

you would rather die than live in misery without her...

you did it to make yourself happy...

her living = your happiness
    You telling me you have time to think that out as the bus is speeding towards the gir.......

[COLOR="Red"]SPLAT![/COLOR]

Gut reactions from firemen and people who save lives are described as the following: "I didnt really know what was happening, I just acted"

Well... whether or not you know or love the girl, are you telling me that you want to save a person SO MUCH that you will ignore your own safety? That you will ignore rule number one to Hobbes and Lockes theories of self-preservation and the carnal man? That somehow an unthought out action like that goes against our bodies and minds hardwired command to above all else survive because we want to be happy?

Quote Originally Posted by Killbot
    Science + Contradictions that Christian people spew out (look up George Carlin) + Can't see him/can't be proven he exists + other minor things that add up
    And a comedian like George Carlin is the voice of reason...

Forget what Christians spew out, the question goes past Christianity, goes past believing in Jesus. The question deals with if there was a master creator, or if science is the ultimate explanation.

Man may have not been around during the age of the dinosaurs, but civilizations have been around for what, 10,000 years or so (at least from what's recorded), yet we're still here and everything else around us is inferior in mostly all aspects with intelligence being the most important. In 10,000 years we are the most advanced species on the planet able to change our planet around us with the flick of a switch. Don't think science has been able to explain that phenomenon. Man created science. But who created man?? Ahh

Quote Originally Posted by FG20
    You telling me you have time to think that out as the bus is speeding towards the gir.......

[COLOR="Red"]SPLAT![/COLOR]

Gut reactions from firemen and people who save lives are described as the following: "I didnt really know what was happening, I just acted"

Well... whether or not you know or love the girl, are you telling me that you want to save a person SO MUCH that you will ignore your own safety? That you will ignore rule number one to Hobbes and Lockes theories of self-preservation and the carnal man? That somehow an unthought out action like that goes against our bodies and minds hardwired command to above all else survive because we want to be happy?
    I am telling you that if "YOU" didn't want to save her then "YOU" wouldn't..."YOU" did because "YOU" wanted to...(which is good in this case)

If those firemen's gut reaction is to save, then that is what "THEY" want...that is probably what alot of them took the job for...

also, I have a pretty good feeling that this is the type of greed that would be viewed as a very good kind of greed to have...

if it is true that "there is no such thing as a selfless act", then I am betting the greedyness of making others happy or saving lives is better than they greedyness of just pleasing yourself without helping others...

that saying is kind of unfair, due to the fact that we all only do things that "WE" want to do...no matter what it is

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPete
    And a comedian like George Carlin is the voice of reason...

Forget what Christians spew out, the question goes past Christianity, goes past believing in Jesus. The question deals with if there was a master creator, or if science is the ultimate explanation.

Man may have not been around during the age of the dinosaurs, but we've been around for what, 10,000 years or so (at least from what's recorded), yet we're still here and everything else around us is inferior in mostly all aspects with intelligence being the most important. In 10,000 years we are the most advanced species on the planet able to change our planet around us with the flick of a switch. Don't think science has been able to explain that phenomenon. Man created science. But who created man?? Ahh
    almost all NDEers say that "God" isn't really a being...he/it is everyone and everything..."God" is all around us, and in us, and "God" loves all of us...

alot of them say that it was our spirits "God" that created this universe with these scientific laws as a place to learn...kind of like going to school...

they say that death is not really death, but more of a rebirth into a new kind of life....where gravity/time/ect do not exist...

yea... thats kinda sad. Im sure there has been at least one such act that isnt greedy in any way at all, we just kinda have to dig to find it.

not that I totally agree with this man, but he is Damn funny and makes you think too...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPOfurmrjxo

I consider myself an agnostic thiest.

I think it is incorrect and arrogant for us to be atheists, especially on a scientific basis. some of the greatest scientists in history have believed in god or have been agnostic-thiestical types. einstein, stephen hawking, francis collins, etc etc.

I find it very arrogant for people to claim god does not exist on a scientific basis, when men far clever and better informed in the workings of physics, biology etc have managed to believe in god, or at least consider it still possible, even with a far greater understanding of the very premise certian people denounce the existance of god with.

Just because we are the most intelligent lifeforms on this earth does not mean we are intelligent. In the same way a young child or an animal doesn't have the ability to fathom certain concepts neither do we. Our understanding of life, science and the existance and will of god is incredibly limited. personally i feel that science is just our very limited understanding of gods universal designs and schemes.

However i feel that science and religion do contradict one and other in one way or another. seven days to make the earth, 10,000 years old, came from 2 original humans cast down from heaven for eating an apple etc etc

In the insnatce of the bible i feel that alot of it is just human story telling and exageration, designed to create belief and law and order. Alot of it may hold truths and be based on real events, but it is human nature to change and exagerate. I find it impossible to beleive that god as depicted in the old testament is real. How could the perfect creator condone slaughter on a mass scale, have a 'choosen' race, have wiped out a large percentage of the population etc. it doesnt make sense and is morally unjustified.

However i feel that the new testament is a different kettle of fish. The tone and morals set in the new testament differ greatly and contradict the old testament in many ways (for the better). It could almost stand alone as its own religion. It is impossibe to deny the existance of a man named jesus christ, it simply is. He existed. Their is too much historical proof to say he did not. What is debatable is weather or not he performed miricales and weather or not he was the son of god. I would advise atheists and non believer to do some real research on his existance, ive always been sceptical but the results are pretty startling. their are videos all over youtube. One in paticular is about a famous lawyer who was an atheist. he was challenged to disprove jesus christ and the acts he performed bu a christian, and was given alot of time to analyse all the evidence and make his case in methodical legal fashion. anyway in the end he concluded that the existance and acts of jesus were thouroughly undeniable.

Im still not sold in this, however i do think their must be a large degree of truth to this. for two empires to quickly abandon their own religions that were incredibly old and worshiped, and adopt a new religion by their own free will that they had previously persecuted is startling. whats more is the amount of people who would gladly of died for their belief in jesus. Intitially christianity was punishable by death and yet untold numbers of people would stare persecution in the face because their belief in jesus was so strong.

Im not completely sold on this either i just think people need to rake it into account. I believe jesus existed but i find it hard to believe he was the son of god in the biblical sense. Its also hard to believe that he performed miricales but yet the evidence is there. im still unsure

as for the NDE phenomena i am on the fence aswell. Whilst there are many similar accounts their are also many discrepancies. Some of the accounts are very christian in nature, claiming that we must accept god in this life and not sin or go to hell. The african priest seemd fake to me. Whilst other accounts seem less concerned with organised religion and more about just being a good person and living life well. I can only think that some people are lying for an agenda, or that god is personal, or that their is a scientific explanation behind it, even though that seems impossible at this time

anyway thats my incoherrant rant over. i feel that i am far from done in my understanding and opinion of life and god.
    Last edited by CasterL; 05-18-2009 at 05:31 AM.

College superstar

I'm definately agnostic,I don't believe in religous scripture but I do believe in a higher power and the spiritual world. To have the same belief as an Athiest I think is some what naive.

While I think Science is good for the human race I don't think it can or should be used to try to explain everything in the universe and I don't think it ever will.

If religion gives you hope and makes you a better person then that's great, I just think it can lead to contradicting itself and it plays a part in creating tension and seperation in the religous communities.