Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Sweden: one of the most vile shitholes in the world

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    B. Your analysis of the issues misses the point of economics. There are tons and tons of women novelists being published. It's not like the stories aren't there. The difference between a book and movie is finance. The studios would have put money into them.
    I disagree. A financer will finance that which will sell. Like the guy financing Transformers is actually excited to watch that trash, of course not.

And it's not like high budget movies that target a female audience do get made, like Twilight or Sex and the City. (of course not the stuff that pleases these militant feminists) You can't tell me Twilight gets made but the female versions of The Shawshank Redemption keep filling up the rejection bin.

Besides, you don't need financing to make a great movie. Where is the female Clerks?

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    well, i think the feminist rebuttal to that would be that they dont have equal opportunity to make films, as audiences are sexist, and arent interested in seeing woman-centric films, so they dont get made.
    I disagree. But if the audience is the problem, why are they screaming at the content creators for creating what the audience wants? It's not constructive, it's straight up whining.

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    I disagree. But if the audience is the problem, why are they screaming at the content creators for creating what the audience wants? It's not constructive, it's straight up whining.
    are they screaming at content creators?

i think their point is to open audiences' eyes to how small a role women have in cinema.

and as a result of that, people might be more interested in seeing more female centric films, and create a demand for these kinds of movies.

It won't affect the general public, aside from inducing laughter.

Banned

A. So this means the Bechdel test is from that pussified country called America.

B. Your analysis of the issues misses the point of economics. There are tons and tons of women novelists being published. It's not like the stories aren't there. The difference between a book and movie is finance. The studios would have put money into them.

And for that, the public has to want them.

And the majority of audiences, including most women - don't give a shit about movies with a dull and forced feminist agenda.

The public gets a lot more of what it truly wants than people think. Sometimes they just don't like to admit that because what the public ultimately wants is not some PC equality lovefest. So they blame it on rich people or history or this or that, anything but themselves.

Banned

well, i think the feminist rebuttal to that would be that they dont have equal opportunity to make films, as audiences are sexist, and arent interested in seeing woman-centric films, so they dont get made.
    Or sometimes they are given the opportunity and screw it up by creating shit. Diablo Cody, wtf is that shit.

The woman who directed Hurt Locker is good but dont think any of her films would pass the Bechdel test, even Zero Dark Thirty which has a woman as the lead

are they screaming at content creators?

i think their point is to open audiences' eyes to how small a role women have in cinema.

and as a result of that, people might be more interested in seeing more female centric films, and create a demand for these kinds of movies.
    They are "opening the audience' eyes" by branding specific movies as misogynist. It's the blame and complain game, there is nothing constructive about it.

Niko,

I was on line at a celebrated Thai place in Brooklyn and had these superannoying Manhattanites behind me on their first trip to Kings County. Among other things I learned from them is that
    If Brooklyn was its own city, it would be the second largest city in America behind Manhattan. (Actually, it would be LA, Chicago, Brooklyn, Queens, Houston and then Manhattan.) Also apparently "half of Brooklyn is a ghetto."

Food was unbelievably good, but damn these yuppies were annoying.
    Pok Pok is awesome. They have a location in Portland, best Thai food in a town with a ton of Thai food. Hopefully you tried the fish sauce wings.
    Last edited by KeylessEntry; 11-06-2013 at 02:12 PM.

least two named female characters who talk to each other about something other than a man

Does not exist in the real world, why should it in films?

They are "opening the audience' eyes" by branding specific movies as misogynist. It's the blame and complain game, there is nothing constructive about it.
    it might make people think about what a small role women have in cinema.

thats constructive.

it might make people think about what a small role women have in cinema.

thats constructive.
    Constructive in the way every banal complaint is constructive.

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rufuspaul
    Does not exist in the real world, why should it in films?

Constructive in the way every banal complaint is constructive.
    so, pointing out a perceived injustice/inequality is now just a 'banal complaint'?

if implemented everywhere, the outcome would probably be that movies try to get a bad gender rating on purpose for publicity.

Say James Bond numbers drop. So to get publicity they make James Bond tell Miss Moneypenny to get her hoe ass in the kitchen and him a sandwich lol

@op: why so ?

so, pointing out a perceived injustice/inequality is now just a 'banal complaint'?
    There is nothing unjust about a free society where movies written by women about women don't reach the same frequency of output and popularity as other movies. Women go to the cinema just as much as men go to the cinema. Women watch tv just as much as men. These women have a free choice to watch the movies they want to watch. They just don't happen to agree with the very specific and unrealistic standards for gender equality that militant feminists set for it. That's not important to a normal person.

You know what would be constructive? If all these militant feminists would create a nice movie production company where they can create and promote all the amazing female-centric movies they want. Promote young, promising female talent. I could get behind that. Everyone could get behind that. Use all that anger for something positive. Not by promoting some type of deeply flawed test where they want to point out their falsely perceived misogyny, that's not what I consider to be constructive.

There is nothing unjust about a free society where movies written by women about women don't reach the same frequency of output and popularity as other movies. Women go to the cinema just as much as men go to the cinema. Women watch tv just as much as men. These women have a free choice to watch the movies they want to watch. They just don't happen to agree with the very specific and unrealistic standards for gender equality that militant feminists set for it. That's not important to a normal person.
    well, i think their point is that it ought to be.

You know what would be constructive? If all these militant feminists would create a nice movie production company where they can create and promote all the amazing female-centric movies they want. Promote young, promising female talent. I could get behind that. Everyone could get behind that. Use all that anger for something positive. Not by promoting some type of deeply flawed test where they want to point out their falsely perceived misogyny, that's not what I consider to be constructive.
    why do you keeping saying that they are militant, or angry? where are you getting that from.

it doesnt say that they arent producing movies, regardless producing movies is very expensive, i doubt they have the money.

the way i see it is this; they think people dont see that there is a lack of female prsence in cinema right now, and that they are shedding light on this, in the hope that it would make people think, and maybe support women in the film industry. i dont see how there is anything militant about it

obviously their definition of gender bias is very arbitrary, but its better than nothing.