Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NBA Superstar

Default Re: Karl Malone's defense

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Karl Malone gets a bad rap for not winning unfortunately.
    Yup. I doubt Duncan would have beaten Jordan either.

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0
    Yeah, because Karl met Jordan in the Finals 6 times.

That's what I hate about the Jordan era argument. Unless you went up against him every single year, you have no excuse. And guess what, throughout Karl's 20 years of dominance (), he only made the Finals three times.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by russwest0
    Definitely tough competition... The Jazz also lost to the Blazers, Suns, Warriors, Sonics, Rockets... and later the Mavs and Kings.

Karl Malone is one of the most underrated players on here, while you have guys like Garnett getting overrated to death and being rated ahead of him. People can't be serious if they watched both.

Karl was a great man defender, particularly in the 2nd half of his career, and he could actually lead as the main guy on offense unlike Garnett. This guy is the 2nd highest scorer of all time, a great defender, insane longevity, a 2 time MVP, and he was a winner in his career. He consistently led his teams to great records.

If he just won a single title in his career, he is more than likely considered top 12 by most.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Karl Malone is one of the most underrated players on here, while you have guys like Garnett getting overrated to death and being rated ahead of him. People can't be serious if they watched both.

Karl was a great man defender, particularly in the 2nd half of his career, and he could actually lead as the main guy on offense unlike Garnett. This guy is the 2nd highest scorer of all time, a great defender, insane longevity, a 2 time MVP, and he was a winner in his career. He consistently led his teams to great records.

If he just won a single title in his career, he is more than likely considered top 12 by most.
    They had a great record twice and Stockton was helping lead them. Considering he played his worst ball when it mattered most it's arguable as to whether he should be considered a winner.

The negative (mis?) conception about Karl Malone the basketball player:

- Dirty player, especially with elbows
    - Not very good at creating own offense
    - Choke artist in big moments

Also, his percentage dropped down greatly in the playoff, contributing to his negative traits.

Quote Originally Posted by Artillery
    Dirtiest player of all-time. He wouldn't be effective in the modern era though. Would foul out of games or be ejected for some the garbage he used to get away with in the 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bM-Y4UoiAY

That probably wouldn't go over well today.

Quote Originally Posted by SCdac
    If we're talking throwback stuff and head-to-head, Duncan also dropped 46 points on Malone's Jazz in his 3rd season

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...001100SAS.html

and he hit a SICK game winner in Karl Malone's face

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWqwvE5KVW8
    Yeah that's cool and all, but Duncan's third season was Malone's 50th. I don't know why you got so defensive. I put several names in there. I forgot Shaq's though.

Quote Originally Posted by D.J.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bM-Y4UoiAY

That probably wouldn't go over well today.
    Malone was entirely too ****ing powerful for plays like that. I think he could really have killed somebody if he did it MWP style with cocking it all the way back and throwing it full force.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketswin2013
    Yeah that's cool and all, but Duncan's third season was Malone's 50th. I don't know why you got so defensive. I put several names in there. I forgot Shaq's though.
    You can't say he owned Duncan and then when Duncan does the same (and 46 points on a player is complete and utter domination) it's, "Oh, Malone was old and washed up by then."

Where's the great defense?

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P
    You can't say he owned Duncan and then when Duncan does the same (and 46 points on a player is complete and utter domination) it's, "Oh, Malone was old and washed up by then."

Not to mention Malone was fresh off winning an MVP award and finished top-5 again in 2000. He may not have been in his physical prime, but no doubt Tim Duncan could handle his own against Malone. Averaged about 25 ppg to Malone's 20 ppg in their regular season meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by plowking

If you have any conception for postseason basketball, Malone isn't underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketswin2013
    Malone was entirely too ****ing powerful for plays like that. I think he could really have killed somebody if he did it MWP style with cocking it all the way back and throwing it full force.

Like this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BgSB2aFRP4

Quote Originally Posted by T_L_P

I'm not about to go back and watch the game but Duncan shot a ton of free throws and Malone only had 2 fouls. I doubt he was guarding him.