Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2017 strategy ideas thread

1. KCP will not play for the first 2 games, I really want to see Josh Hart to play the bulk of those minutes because I feel he is disciplined and matured enough to read and react. I think he has a chance to be an accurate perimeter shooter and I've been impressed that he just don't rely from the 3pt area, that he has a nice pull up from 15 feet.
    2. Yes, I like Kuzma too but for me its not whether he starts or not, the important thing for me is that he plays more minutes.
    3. Put Brook and Ingram in the same side. Lopez pulls his defender out of the paint bec of his ability to shoot, this creates enough space for Ingram to operate. It's foolish for Brandon to simply wait for the ball in the perimeter and do iso's. He needs to flash from the weakside, use some picks from the PF etc.
    4. Take advantage of Clarkson's motor At times, he should leak out and get quick outlet passes from Ball for easy baskets
    5. Trade Brewer for a future 2nd rounder. There is huge log jam for wing players that Cory is the odd man out, esp bec of inability to shoot and he's a mimic role of their 19 Million player.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Default Re: 2017 strategy ideas thread

Ball/KCP/Ingram/Nance Jr/Lopez
    Ennis/Clarkson/Brewer/Kuzma/Randle
    Caruso/Hart/Deng/Bryant/Zubac

Bogut - player/coach

I would try to trade Randle for a 1st rounder or trade Randle/brewer/Clarkson together for an upgrade elsewhere. Randle is expendable all of a sudden with the team we have. Nance will be better backup with what he brings to the table. I don't want Randle as a backup. I would try to sell high Randle for someone else we can use at the 2. KCP is just a 1yr rental. Clarkson is not long term answer at the 2 position.

We will need someone viable at the 2 so why not shop Randle to upgrade the 2? Clears a lockjam at the 4 and upgrades the 2 - 2 birds with 1 stone.

Quote Originally Posted by bladefd
    I would try to trade Randle for a 1st rounder or trade Randle/brewer/Clarkson together for an upgrade elsewhere. Randle is expendable all of a sudden with the team we have. Nance will be better backup with what he brings to the table. I don't want Randle as a backup. I would try to sell high Randle for someone else we can use at the 2. KCP is just a 1yr rental. Clarkson is not long term answer at the 2 position.

We will need someone viable at the 2 so why not shop Randle to upgrade the 2? Clears a lockjam at the 4 and upgrades the 2 - 2 birds with 1 stone.
    I really want to know the name of the SG that you have in mind because they are like gold right now because of their ability to space the floor.
    Is it Devin Booker? I just don't see Phoenix doing it because a player of that caliber is very hard to replace. Who else? and why would their teams part with them?
    In contrast, Lopez, Nurkic, Howard etc, wouldn't have been traded if they played in the 80's-90's, because back then they were the prized ones, scoring a high % demanding double teams etc.
    If you don't like Randle, JC etc, there's a huge chance teams wouldn't want them too, esp now with advanced stat are easy to procure

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    I really want to know the name of the SG that you have in mind because they are like gold right now because of their ability to space the floor.
    Is it Devin Booker? I just don't see Phoenix doing it because a player of that caliber is very hard to replace. Who else? and why would their teams part with them?
    In contrast, Lopez, Nurkic, Howard etc, wouldn't have been traded if they played in the 80's-90's, because back then they were the prized ones, scoring a high % demanding double teams etc.
    If you don't like Randle, JC etc, there's a huge chance teams wouldn't want them too, esp now with advanced stat are easy to procure
    You are probably right on that. Nobody is going to just hand us a. 2-guard who can spread the floor for someone like Randle who is playing a position no longer valued as it once was. PG13 is too much to bet on even though he would be perfect fit for this team.

Our best bet is to trade for a 1st rounder. Maybe 20th pick or so range and find the best 2-guard around there in draft. We can find some takers willing to give us an early 2nd rounder for JC and a late first rounder for Randle. Then we could trade both picks to a rebuilding team to move up in draft 5-6 slots in 1st round. That is a viable way to landing a fairly solid 2. I was badly hoping that guy would be Josh Hart, but I don't see him being the answer so far from what I have seen from him.

You are probably right on that. Nobody is going to just hand us a. 2-guard who can spread the floor for someone like Randle who is playing a position no longer valued as it once was. PG13 is too much to bet on even though he would be perfect fit for this team.

Our best bet is to trade for a 1st rounder. Maybe 20th pick or so range and find the best 2-guard around there in draft. We can find some takers willing to give us an early 2nd rounder for JC and a late first rounder for Randle. Then we could trade both picks to a rebuilding team to move up in draft 5-6 slots in 1st round. That is a viable way to landing a fairly solid 2. I was badly hoping that guy would be Josh Hart, but I don't see him being the answer so far from what I have seen from him.
    Are just messing with me?
    That was one of my main points, to play Josh Hart and give him enough minutes esp with Lonzo and Brook. He has played ZERO regular season minutes and very limited time with their best PG and arguably the best shooter in Lopez. No, I don't think he's the next Klay or Devin Booker but if he can shoot in the 36-37% range from the 3pt area and play solid defense with minimal mistakes, I think he has a chance to be a good rotational piece like Danny Green.

Quote Originally Posted by tamaraw08
    Are just messing with me?
    That was one of my main points, to play Josh Hart and give him enough minutes esp with Lonzo and Brook. He has played ZERO regular season minutes and very limited time with their best PG and arguably the best shooter in Lopez. No, I don't think he's the next Klay or Devin Booker but if he can shoot in the 36-37% range from the 3pt area and play solid defense with minimal mistakes, I think he has a chance to be a good rotational piece like Danny Green.
    Can he be better than JC though? He would need to be an upgrade over JC.. I mean sure he can be a rotational player but I don't know if he is a starter type of player in the nba. Still have to see him in regular season.

One good thing is that he would make JC expendable if he is at least as good as JC. I would definitely look to trade Clarkson for a late 1st rounder or at least early 2nd rounder (preferably try to deal him like we dealt Lou for a huge 1st round pick we turned into Kuzma).

Can he be better than JC though? He would need to be an upgrade over JC.. I mean sure he can be a rotational player but I don't know if he is a starter type of player in the nba. Still have to see him in regular season.

One good thing is that he would make JC expendable if he is at least as good as JC. I would definitely look to trade Clarkson for a late 1st rounder or at least early 2nd rounder (preferably try to deal him like we dealt Lou for a huge 1st round pick we turned into Kuzma).
    They have different strengths. If Ingram have the fast motor and vertical leap of Clarkson, he would be a much better player right now.
    Clarkson however have failed the past 3 years in proving that he is a reliable 3pt shooter which is a MUST for a SG right now. Although he has a very good work ethic and shows a lot of respect for his coaches, I think he has a hard time properly executing defensive schemes.
    Hart is obviously a slower and less athletic guard but this allows him to be less wild and be more deliberate esp on offense. Time will tell if he can really drill those perimeter jumpers. In College, he showed he can play good defense but yes, he is against much better competition now.
    It would be great if the scouts/Pelinka can find the next Jonathan Simmons from the G league anytime soon.

First game notes..

-waaaay too many turnovers. I saw lots of sloppy passes. I am surprised we only had 19 turnovers. I felt like we had 30 turnovers tbh. Sloppy careless passes MUST stop.
    -we gave waaaay too many 2nd chance opportunities, which shot us in the foot. We kept giving them 2nd chance after 2nd chance
    -missed too many wide open shots. I found it discouraging to miss as many open shots as we did
    -only shot around 60% from freethrow line as a team. Can we at least get it up to 70%? It's freethrows, men! Freethrows..
    -guys like Lonzo/kuzma need to calm down and not get lost in the moment. I think they will be better going forward. Ball seemed bit rattled by Beverly but hard to say from body language
    -what happened to Randle? Did he take a step back or is it the injury or what? I am very much baffled with how much he looks like last year. Same with Ingram.
    -Lopez needs to be used just like he was today. His offense looks like he can provide some semblance of consistency offensively. Clarkson showed too
    -kcp is returning soon from suspension and we badly need a solid perimeter defender. I hope he can provide some halfway decent defense playing the 2.

NBA lottery pick

I think having KCP out there last night really helped them. He's going to get a lot of opportunities this season. Seeing him play well kind of softens the blow from the Russell trade trade (since he's putting up pretty decent numbers thus far). They need to keep playing KCP and Lonzo together. Let them try to get some chemistry. While KCP is kind of a one year rental, it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility that the Lakers could resign him next off season. If they don't land the players that they want he is an option.

Luke needs to make sure to keep giving Kuzma minutes too. He's just played too well and is clearly one of the better scorers on the team. He's the future. It's pretty obvious it's not Nance or Randle at this point. Next season Randle will be on another team and Nance will be the backup PF.

Clarkson seems to do really well in that 6th man spot. I like what they're doing with him so far.

Ingram has been a complete bust so far. He's had one good game this month. The preseason was terrible and the other two regular season games were terrible. They're going to have to give him a bit of a chance because if he can't get better then they're going to have to really consider trading him before he's not worth anything. I'm not quite ready to give up on him yet since the season is early, but he's really going to have to pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    I think having KCP out there last night really helped them. He's going to get a lot of opportunities this season. Seeing him play well kind of softens the blow from the Russell trade trade (since he's putting up pretty decent numbers thus far). They need to keep playing KCP and Lonzo together. Let them try to get some chemistry. While KCP is kind of a one year rental, it's definitely not out of the realm of possibility that the Lakers could resign him next off season. If they don't land the players that they want he is an option.

Luke needs to make sure to keep giving Kuzma minutes too. He's just played too well and is clearly one of the better scorers on the team. He's the future. It's pretty obvious it's not Nance or Randle at this point. Next season Randle will be on another team and Nance will be the backup PF.

Clarkson seems to do really well in that 6th man spot. I like what they're doing with him so far.

Ingram has been a complete bust so far. He's had one good game this month. The preseason was terrible and the other two regular season games were terrible. They're going to have to give him a bit of a chance because if he can't get better then they're going to have to really consider trading him before he's not worth anything. I'm not quite ready to give up on him yet since the season is early, but he's really going to have to pick it up.
    Nance can be starting PF next season for Lakers IMO. He has to improve further offensively and develop some consistency in the scoring department - defensively he is good enough to start.

Kuzma is more of a 3. I don't see Ingram ever moving up to 4 so his development will determine whether he or Kuzma will start at the 3 going forward.. I'm already thinking Kuzma should start over Ingram for now and Ingram can come off the bench.

At this point, Ingram will surely never become a superstar. If he could be, he would have shown it by now. I'm still leaving open the window to potentiality become a star, but if he is still like this next season then I'm starting to consider him a bust. I think it's fair to give him until the 3rd year to figure it out.

As for Randle, I don't know how that will go down.. Nobody will trade pieces for a 1yr rental so I'm afraid we will have to wait until off-season and let him walk. He won't sign for cheap with Lakers and I wouldn't expect him to. It irritates me that we couldn't find a suitor for him over the summer. I would have gladly taken future late-1st rounder for him, but it might be too late now unless if he is part of a package deal..

NBA lottery pick

I would have much rather moved Randle than Russell. If Kuzma starts at SF that leaves no room for Ingram. I don't think Ingram will ever be able to play PF. I think it's a mistake having him play SG like they did some too. I agree though, if Ingram was going to be a superstar he would have shown a lot more already. Look at what Ben Simmons did today. Triple double. Made it look easy. You can tell he's going to be very good right away. If he develops his outside shot he's going to dominate. I haven't seen much of that from Ingram.

Nance can be starting PF next season for Lakers IMO. He has to improve further offensively and develop some consistency in the scoring department - defensively he is good enough to start.

Kuzma is more of a 3. I don't see Ingram ever moving up to 4 so his development will determine whether he or Kuzma will start at the 3 going forward.. I'm already thinking Kuzma should start over Ingram for now and Ingram can come off the bench.

At this point, Ingram will surely never become a superstar. If he could be, he would have shown it by now. I'm still leaving open the window to potentiality become a star, but if he is still like this next season then I'm starting to consider him a bust. I think it's fair to give him until the 3rd year to figure it out.

As for Randle, I don't know how that will go down.. Nobody will trade pieces for a 1yr rental so I'm afraid we will have to wait until off-season and let him walk. He won't sign for cheap with Lakers and I wouldn't expect him to. It irritates me that we couldn't find a suitor for him over the summer. I would have gladly taken future late-1st rounder for him, but it might be too late now unless if he is part of a package deal..
    I love Nance's hustle but I am very disappointed with his lack of growth esp when he said worked very hard in improving his shooting in the summer.

It doesn't matter to me if Kuzma starts or not. He is playing great coming from the bench developing good chemistry with JC, out playing the oppositions bench guys so I'm not sure breaking that trend is a good idea. On the other hand, he can now develop that chemistry with Ball and the other starters but what really matters to me is that Kuzma plays atleast 30 mins per game.
    The most ironic thing is that I was the biggest Brandon Ingram critic last season and I am quite confused over the lack of patience over this 20 yr old kid. Most of fans are going crazy over Kuzma, well, Kyle is TWO YEARS OLDER than Ingram. If you can go in a time machine travel back to 2015 and teleport Kuzma at 20 yrs old ask him to play now with the Lakers, he will SUCK guaranteed!!!Scouts were down on KD for failing to bench press his body weight at 19.. google Kobe when he was 19-20 and you will see a boy....
    No, I don't bet on Ingram becoming a superstar too but I still think he has a good chance to produce like 18 pts, 5 rebs/5 assist guy after 2 yrs. His FT % is up which tells me his stroke has improve. He is just a bit too weak finishing around the rim IMO.
    It's unfortunate that Randle is caught in a numbers game. He is decent and can still help.

NBA lottery pick

Kevin Durant averaged 20ppg as a rookie. We all knew right away he was going to be very good. Kobe barely played but remember he also came from high school. His 2nd year (which was more like his rookie year), everyone could tell he was going to be really good. I haven't seen that with Ingram yet. Usually you can tell pretty early on if someone is going to be a potential all-star. Can you not see it with Ben Simmons right now? He's only played a few games. He can't even shoot outside well yet and the entire league knows it yet he is still a match up problem. Devin Booker, could tell pretty early on he's going to be a solid player in this league. There's some guys who were kind of late bloomers because they didn't have a chance. Ingram is getting chances. He's going to have to capitalize on them pretty quick.

Quote Originally Posted by dd24
    Kevin Durant averaged 20ppg as a rookie. We all knew right away he was going to be very good. Kobe barely played but remember he also came from high school. His 2nd year (which was more like his rookie year), everyone could tell he was going to be really good. I haven't seen that with Ingram yet. Usually you can tell pretty early on if someone is going to be a potential all-star. Can you not see it with Ben Simmons right now? He's only played a few games. He can't even shoot outside well yet and the entire league knows it yet he is still a match up problem. Devin Booker, could tell pretty early on he's going to be a solid player in this league. There's some guys who were kind of late bloomers because they didn't have a chance. Ingram is getting chances. He's going to have to capitalize on them pretty quick.
    KD was the focal point averaging 17 shots per game and only averaged 43% FG and 28% from the 3pt area (lower than Ingram). Ingram was the PT Forward for the Lakers facilitating most of the time.
    No I am not saying Brandon will every become near Durant nor he'll become a superstar but it's not like he's got some glaring weaknesses.
    He's not undersized for his position unlike Beasley and Derrick Williams.
    He's not that slow, has pretty good handles and BB IQ and I like his work ethic and demeanor, not arguing with his coach etc.
    Other college kids will wow you with their athletism like Gerald Green. You see him soar over defenders etc averaged 50EFG%, actually higher than KD but where is he now?
    Ingram have missed several lay ups against teams with really good shot blockers like De'Andre Jordan, Anthony Davis and Cousins. I imagine him adjusting and developing that upper body strength in the next several months.
    You mentioned Simmons, well he is 21 years and 3 months old and he should be better. Brandon barely turned 20 last September. After 1 year and you still think Ingram is a bust, then I think you might have enough basis.