Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Dont H8 the Laker H8er glidedrxlr22's Avatar

Default Re: Anyone here playing Sleeping Dogs?

^Agree. The fighting is pretty fun. When do guns come into play?

I'm playing the demo now. Pretty cool. I had to fight my way in this factory, then got into a shootout. Now I chased some asian dude whom I have to injure but not kill all the while bad guys are trying to stop me from escaping with him in grasp.

1. I've died a couple times fighting. Takes a minute to get the fighting down. I figured out all you have to do is wait and counter, similar to Assassins creed when you are surrounded by enemies

2. Died a few times trying to escape while holding dude engaging in shootouts. I've been pretty impatient just trying to rush thru the game but definately gonna take my time.

I hope there is more to do after I finish this mission. My only gripe with this game is no multiplayer. I'd like some sort of Free Mode atleast to d!ck around the enviroment like you could in GTA 4. Ah well.

Quote Originally Posted by glidedrxlr22
    ^Agree. The fighting is pretty fun. When do guns come into play?
    a few hours in. There are some epic shootouts, including one that made my Hard Boiled meter perk up.

Local High School Star clipse026's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    a few hours in. There are some epic shootouts, including one that made my Hard Boiled meter perk up.
    In white
    [COLOR="White"]The Wedding?[/COLOR]

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Just got it the other night but had some technical problems. My goddamned controllers aren't connecting. I have a wall outlet charger. Have had it forever and it's worked great. It does two controllers at once. I haven't played in months, but I did just buy a new white SixAxis dualshock controller. I had that charging, along with my regular black SixAxis dualshock.

Both appeared to be fully charged, because their lights blink when they're not, and I saw the white one blinking for a while, then I stopped. So I took it off, hit the PS button and it won't connect. I plugged it in with the USB, hit the PS button, and it flashes the red lights, but still won't connect. So I figured I'd try my old black one just to get the thing going, the lights won't go on at all. Even when I plug it in with the USB I get nothing. But when I plug into the charger it'll flash for a bit and recharge. But off the charger it shows no sign of life at all.

Anyway, I have a third controller, the original that came with my PS3, that's not a dualshock. I scooped that up and it connected straight away. I was at least able to get the game loaded and do all the updates I needed. But it's really frustrating.

I did play the first couple missions, just to get it going. The run away from the cops introduction. Then the fight training thing. And finally the salespeople shakedown in the market, which was pretty nice. I still haven't gotten a totally open world feel from it yet, but the fighting is really well done, and I'm definitely looking forward to getting into it.

Quote Originally Posted by clipse026
    In white
    [COLOR="White"][/COLOR]
    [COLOR="White"]the hospital[/COLOR]

Ah right. Both of them were good. That one was pretty awesome. Can't believe it slipped my mind

Ah right. Both of them were good. That one was pretty awesome. Can't believe it slipped my mind
    [COLOR="White"]The fact the popstars name is Vivian (Vivienne) and is singing a song that sounds like 90's cantopop i thought was hilarious too. ANd that it popped up on the radio when you were going to her house. And all the names are the "make an english name that sounds like the chinese names) that people used in the 90's, WInston, Vivienne, Rickey.[/COLOR]

I love the game. BTW, everything i put in white is so freaking minor spoilers but i am being careful.

I played the demo, seems like a rushed mash up of GTA and Yakuza with some elements of Max Payne and the Punisher. Nothing special in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    I played the demo, seems like a rushed mash up of GTA and Yakuza with some elements of Max Payne and the Punisher. Nothing special in my opinion.
    Way better than GTA4. But everything with an open world like that gets compared.

Way better than GTA4. But everything with an open world like that gets compared.
    It's a mediocre game you are trying too hard.

I like it better than GTA4. The story is better, the combat is way better, the driving is better. GTA had a more structured world but it rarely let you do what i wanted to do in it. The only thing i can say 100% was better in GTA was the cops, and the feeling of danger when they chased you.

I never cared for one second what happend to Niko or anyone else in GTA4, but i do in Sleeping Dogs. And don't get me wrong, i REALLY like GTA, i played through 4 and both expansions. I just like Sleeping Dogs that much too.

No multiplayer though, so for those of you that like that a lot (like Gobb), im sure it's a problem.

Not really, that game is grossly overrated. It got a 10 many places. That's ridiculous. I traded it in a few hours after buying it because it just wasn't anywhere near as good as the previous games in the series.

And you've played a demo so far yet you feel educated enough to dismiss the game as nothing but a clone.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

I played it pretty obsessively over the weekend, and I really really like it.

It is truely a GTA knockoff however, even more than most. But I don't have a problem with that.

My main enjoyment of it is that they took the best things about GTA, the open map, the miscelleneous collectables, the dark noir story telling, and combined it with a superior combat system, particularly the fighting, but the shooting and cover system isn't bad either, that makes me want to stop and fight whenever an enemy pops up on my map.

I did what I usually do, scoured the map for side missions and extras. Collected a bunch of boxes. Then did some of the dating, which opened up the health on the map, which I then pathologically tracked down all of. Got the cameras on the map, and chased down some of them. And the melee upgrade statues, and hunted down all of them except three that seem inaccessable at the moment.

I like tracking down the drug busts on the cameras, doing any face missions that pop up, and I'm even doing some of the fighting competitions, although they don't seem like they're something that's finishable, so I may stop going on them.

And I am plugging away at the story missions a little. With only two to work with, they sort of forced my hand a little.

My gripes are few. Mainly it's that it seems a little small, both in terms of physical size, and so far in terms of branching out the main story missions. Right now it's just cops and the water street gang. Green and Blue. No other way to go at the moment at least. And the map I've been completely around so far, but I'm not sure that's a bad thing necessarily.

The driving is a little wonky. The cars handle almost too tightly, the bikes especially. And like said before, the police are sort of a non-entity. They're actually no easy to lose, but there doesn't seem like much chance they'll catch you either.

My sincerest thanks to the people in this thread that prompted me to pick up this game.

I can't see how a person likes GTA a lot and doesn't like this game. It's a clone, sure. With a great story, better (inarguably) combat and a ton of fun things to do. GTA came out a long long time ago and the next one isn't for a year. It fills a niche for me very nicely. I wanted Saints Row to fill that niche, but that game is just too stupid for me to care and it's not fun enough, its a game where people should drop easier and things should blow up easier.