Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 10-12-2010, 07:20 PM   #1
Poodle
Banned

Default Isnt it a trip how fast teams dump players...

i swear when the Rams acted like Faulk was done i know he had more juice left, altho he was getting hurt, but still he just was getting less opportunities. that was the real start of his demise...

its the same with Ladanian Tomlinson. LT had just had a HUGE year, then their schedule starts out with like 3-4 great defenses that bottle him up, and everyone is calling LT washed up. he's hurt throughout that season and the general consensus by the end of the year was LT had lost it.

look at Torry Holt. incredible receiver for the Rams for years. arguably one of the best receivers in the league at one point. he has a injury year, he's designated as washed up, get dropped, cut by another team, and then signs with NE where he gets hurt and out for the year.

Larry Johnson i sort of understand. i always thought he was overrated. that KC line when he was dominating deserved almost all of the credit.

then theres Willie Parker. he was one of the most elusive RB's of this past decade, and all of a sudden after injury prone seasons and Mendenhall blowing up while Willie was hurt, Willie gets dropped. he can't even make a NFL roster anymore

Justin Fargas was just running for 150 yd games or something a year or 2 ago, now he can't find a team.

almost forgot Marvin Harrison. he was the best receiver in the league for years, and then all of a sudden he's a scrub with knee issues or something. completely forgotten about so out of the blue.

i could probably go on and on with this. even Devin Thomas, a 1st round pick for the Skins, was dropped by Shanahan without even a chance to prove himself. every team is scared because Shanahan's rap on him was lack of motivation. my question is don't you think if anybody would have motivation it would be a 1st round pick cut out of the blue? and yeah i'm saying a lot of NFL teams are dumb, stubborn, go off of reputations, which are oftentimes stacked against players before they even touch a football in a tryout.

theres just no way to me players lose it all of a sudden like NFL teams/coaches act. some of these players are/were considered some of the best in the league just a year or two prior of being deemed washed up LT proved the Chargers and his critics wrong, and too bad tragic occurances have prevented some others from proving themself. the other thing that kills me is NFL coaches/teams/fans always act like how good a defense is shouldn't be a factor in their inability to run/catch/throw it. like they should find a way all by themself if they're a big name player regardless of them having just faced 2-3 of the best D's in the league where they got 10 yds.

Last edited by Poodle : 10-12-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Isnt it a trip how fast teams dump players...

That's why I always side with players when they have contract disputes. I think Revis should have held out longer and gotten more money.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:03 AM   #3
ROCSteady
One of One

Devin Thomas was the first of our THREE 2nd round picks in '08. Not 1st but I get your point. Dude was just an airhead despite his athleticism.

Kickers get thrown around like a corner whore it seems (Folk, Rackers, etc)
ROCSteady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
mlh1981
Reds/Bengals/Cavs

I have a hard time believing that there aren't a few teams out there could use a Willie Parker.
mlh1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 11:59 AM   #5
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

I think you're overrating Willie Parker a bit but yeah he could still be a serviceable back.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:30 PM   #6
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
i swear when the Rams acted like Faulk was done i know he had more juice left, altho he was getting hurt, but still he just was getting less opportunities. that was the real start of his demise...

That's the main reason for his (and many other players) less opportunities and demise. Players just can't come back from injuries and all of a sudden return to original form, especially as they are getting up in age. It doesn't work that way.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #7
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Tomlinson has been the season's biggest surprise so far. I admit, I thought he was washed up as a good back (he seemed to just be average) as far back as two years ago and saw last year as a confirmation. I don't know why he's been effective again all of a sudden, but he has.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
That's why I always side with players when they have contract disputes. I think Revis should have held out longer and gotten more money.
I generally understand where they're coming from but contracts should still be honored. Revis probably did the "smart" thing and as a result has done more to secure his and his family's financial future, and it's tough to say I wouldn't have been skipping camp were I in his position, but I still believe a man's word should count for something. I agree though that the one-sided nature of most contracts where the team can drop players seemingly whenever they want makes a guy like Revis understandable.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
JMT
NBA lottery pick

It's the nature of the business. People focus on what's on the field. Teams focus on how to get what they need on the field within their financial structure. No guaranteed contracts = player movement.

On the flip side of these stories are countless ones about guys like Russell, Haynesworth, etc who don't give a damn once they get paid.
JMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 01:53 PM   #9
Real Men Wear Green
Please clap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT
It's the nature of the business. People focus on what's on the field. Teams focus on how to get what they need on the field within their financial structure. No guaranteed contracts = player movement.

On the flip side of these stories are countless ones about guys like Russell, Haynesworth, etc who don't give a damn once they get paid.
It'd be interesting to see what the balance of that is, guys who quit trying once they get their $ vs. guys who are kicked to the curb once the moneyball evaluation says they aren't worth what they're paid. We may rail against the "disloyalty" of teams but part of why the NFL is such a healthy league is the fact that there aren't many Eddy Curries in it.
Real Men Wear Green is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:57 PM   #10
Poodle
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Tomlinson has been the season's biggest surprise so far. I admit, I thought he was washed up as a good back (he seemed to just be average) as far back as two years ago and saw last year as a confirmation. I don't know why he's been effective again all of a sudden, but he has.I generally understand where they're coming from but contracts should still be honored. Revis probably did the "smart" thing and as a result has done more to secure his and his family's financial future, and it's tough to say I wouldn't have been skipping camp were I in his position, but I still believe a man's word should count for something. I agree though that the one-sided nature of most contracts where the team can drop players seemingly whenever they want makes a guy like Revis understandable.

thats the stance i had when Revis was holding out. i thought he should honor his contract he originally signed then negotiate when it was over, thats really the whole point of contracts, but i admit that stance and this thread don't exactly make for a perfect world for the players.

the other thing is NFL contracts aren't guaranteed. they can get cut and lose their salary unless it was guaranteed, but it just goes to show how spoiled NBA players are in comparison.

overall i probably should have more sympathy for NFL players than i do when they hold out.
Poodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:26 PM   #11
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Men Wear Green
Tomlinson has been the season's biggest surprise so far. I admit, I thought he was washed up as a good back (he seemed to just be average) as far back as two years ago and saw last year as a confirmation. I don't know why he's been effective again all of a sudden, but he has.I generally understand where they're coming from but contracts should still be honored. Revis probably did the "smart" thing and as a result has done more to secure his and his family's financial future, and it's tough to say I wouldn't have been skipping camp were I in his position, but I still believe a man's word should count for something. I agree though that the one-sided nature of most contracts where the team can drop players seemingly whenever they want makes a guy like Revis understandable.

I would agree with that, if BOTH sides had to honor the contract. In the NFL, the team can cut you at their leisure, which makes the whole system unfair. The players HAVE to do whatever they can to make the most money as quickly as possible. If Revis plays with his old contract, and then goes and blows out his knee, the Jets would have dropped him without thinking twice.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:56 PM   #12
PowerGlove
By Any Means

Shawne Merriman is going to be released by the Chargers. They better hope to god that he doesn't join another team and start amassing huge sack totals again or the heat will be turned up.
PowerGlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #13
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Shawne Merriman is going to be released by the Chargers. They better hope to god that he doesn't join another team and start amassing huge sack totals again or the heat will be turned up.

He's been average since he got popped for roids. He'll never return to the player he once was. He's done.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:11 PM   #14
Rameek
Krust Kingz

If I remember correctly they changed the offense in SD and didnt commit to the run like before then LT kinda tanked it...

Marvin Harrison was a premadonna so he was basically blackballed.
Rameek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:58 PM   #15
Bring-Your-Js
I hit 30-footers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameek
If I remember correctly they changed the offense in SD and didnt commit to the run like before then LT kinda tanked it...

Marvin Harrison was a premadonna so he was basically blackballed.

Harrison put up some GODLY seasons, but his production was (mostly) replaced by Reggie Wayne. I'm not by any means trying to diminish Harrison's career (2002 bow down) but you've got to wonder how much of a factor Peyton Manning was. Harrison was '96 Draft class but didn't become elite until Manning did - 1999.

So far this year, Manning has made Austin Collie look like an All-Pro Receiver.
Bring-Your-Js is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: