Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 06-10-2009, 07:13 PM   #1
Rebel INS
I hit open 5-footers

Default Ankle Sprains

What is the best way to prevent ankle sprains? I have gotten them on high top shoes, low top shoes, with and without ankle braces? It seems like a random occurence but some people never sprain their ankles. Please provide some input.
Rebel INS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
1manfastbreak
B A Y A R E A , C A

Default Re: Ankle Sprains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel INS
What is the best way to prevent ankle sprains? I have gotten them on high top shoes, low top shoes, with and without ankle braces? It seems like a random occurence but some people never sprain their ankles. Please provide some input.

nothing is going to stop you from rolling an ankle. But taping your ankles or wearing ankle braces will help prevent from how bad you will sprain it.
1manfastbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #3
Meticode
Cavaliers Fan 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1manfastbreak
nothing is going to stop you from rolling an ankle. But taping your ankles or wearing ankle braces will help prevent from how bad you will sprain it.
YES!
Meticode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:24 PM   #4
KB8tHeGrEaT24
Banned

Seems to me that the Ankle Gods are not on your side buddy.

Last edited by KB8tHeGrEaT24 : 06-10-2009 at 07:27 PM.
KB8tHeGrEaT24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 10:07 PM   #5
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

I've had I don't know how many ankle sprains. The first time I ripped my patella was actually on a play where I hit toe to toe with a guy going after a loose ball. The ankle rolled both forward and in. It hurt so bad that it was a full three days before I even realized there was anything wrong with my knee.

Taping or braces is the most obvious advice, and for good reason. I will add that I had a lot of success with the Nike Shox sneakers. Not because I believe in the power of the springs mind you, but the layout of the springs makes the heel box of the shoe wider than usual. And that seems to make it less likely to hit that tipping point where your weight rolls over onto the side of the foot. It also probably doesn't hurt that they weigh a metric ton, so you can barely jump high enough in them to come down with any real force, or on anything much bigger taller than the Sunday paper. But either way, I went two full summers without a blowout in them.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 02:35 AM   #6
bballer
King of ISH

Wear ankle braces when you ball
bballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:15 AM   #7
A Loyal NJ Fan
High school junior varsity star

Wear a brace...made the mistake of not wearing one today and now I'm outta commission for a couple weeks.
A Loyal NJ Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:34 AM   #8
NotYetGreat
Great college starter

Nothing's going to really prevent you from getting sprains. Injuries are part of the game. Only thing that could probably help is wearing those braces (as everyone else here has said) or taping them up. I'd go with the braces. If you fall awkwardly, you'll still sprain them, but then it won't be as severe. If you do get sprained though, ice it up!
NotYetGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: