Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops



Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-24-2006, 05:21 PM   #61
Jerm
I'm trying to improve myself. I'm the new, better Jerm
 
Jerm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Okokomaiko
Posts: 789
Default

The sooner you realize that we are the only living beings out here, the better off you'll rest at night. Humans rule the universe, all those planets aren't conducive to support life. Praise humans, we can't be beat.
Jerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:33 PM   #62
shadow
Laker fan here
 
shadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: So. Cal.
Posts: 2,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerm
The sooner you realize that we are the only living beings out here, the better off you'll rest at night. Humans rule the universe, all those planets aren't conducive to support life. Praise humans, we can't be beat.
actually no. We won't rule the universe anytime soon. We can't even rule our own world right now. One earthqauke, one tsunami, one volcanic eruption and our hands are full.

We're more likely to end up causing our own extinction than rule the universe.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:36 PM   #63
Jerm
I'm trying to improve myself. I'm the new, better Jerm
 
Jerm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Okokomaiko
Posts: 789
Default

Quote:
actually no. We won't rule the universe anytime soon. We can't even rule our own world right now. One earthqauke, one tsunami, one volcanic eruption and our hands are full.

Those are things beyong human control. We can't control mother earth, mother earth is the only one above us and I aint mad at the b!tch. If I was, I'll easily help destroy it.
Jerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:42 PM   #64
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,779
Default re:

exterrestrials and deep space travel may not become a reality... even if aliens do exist somewhere unless there is a major technological advance and paradigm shift inthe way humans do things.

most notably, humans will need to break the laws of physics to travel at faster than light speeds to travel to teh nearest galaxy...
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:47 PM   #65
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 47,205
Default

Of course there are other life forms outside of human beings. Stop being so damn arrogant humans. GOD doesnt create a universe where there are things within it just for show n tell. Those "stars" or whatever the ***** was posted sounding like fighters in Troy arent just there to be there. Everything has a purpose and some things we just arent meant to know what for...yet (perhaps). Just like we cant think for GOD. But rest assure there are other forms of life out there. You just dont have other planets for the sake of it. And the galazy is so huge man cant even explore it all.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 05:54 PM   #66
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,779
Default re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Of course there are other life forms outside of human beings. Stop being so damn arrogant humans. GOD doesnt create a universe where there are things within it just for show n tell. Those "stars" or whatever the ***** was posted sounding like fighters in Troy arent just there to be there. Everything has a purpose and some things we just arent meant to know what for...yet (perhaps). Just like we cant think for GOD. But rest assure there are other forms of life out there. You just dont have other planets for the sake of it. And the galazy is so huge man cant even explore it all.



yeah everything you said are all valid points. but then again, the point of this thread is for speculation.. wrong and right.

Quote:
Stop being so damn arrogant humans.

i suggest taking your own advice.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:02 PM   #67
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 47,205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
yeah everything you said are all valid points. but then again, the point of this thread is for speculation.. wrong and right.



i suggest taking your own advice.

I suggest you stop being such a post whore. And to say the point of this thread is for speculation is cute. But reality is life exists outside of Earth. You cant handle it because you like most humans need physical evidence. Similar to proving GOD exist. If you dont see an image the chances of buying it 100% is slim. Like most humans they think the world starts and ends here. You know GOD sending down his "son" to give us the "laws" of the lawwwwd. So therefore any other life existing out there is silly. We are it. So many arrogant theories from us humans.

How long does it take from Earth to pluto? Can a human physically be placed in a spaceship to that destination? And if they cant why create a planet out of reach to man? Man is making great advancements when it deals with outter space. Us humans dont even use our entire brain. So much to learn, so little time for us but we can only hope future generations help uncover the pieces to a great mystery. You dont have a star 20 times the size of our sun that is 3-4 times the size of Earth for NO APPARANT reason. It doesnt just sit there for decoration. Get with the problem.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:08 PM   #68
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,779
Default re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
I suggest you stop being such a post whore. And to say the point of this thread is for speculation is cute. But reality is life exists outside of Earth. You cant handle it because you like most humans need physical evidence. Similar to proving GOD exist. If you dont see an image the chances of buying it 100% is slim. Like most humans they think the world starts and ends here. You know GOD sending down his "son" to give us the "laws" of the lawwwwd. So therefore any other life existing out there is silly. We are it. So many arrogant theories from us humans.

How long does it take from Earth to pluto? Can a human physically be placed in a spaceship to that destination? And if they cant why create a planet out of reach to man? Man is making great advancements when it deals with outter space. Us humans dont even use our entire brain. So much to learn, so little time for us but we can only hope future generations help uncover the pieces to a great mystery. You dont have a star 20 times the size of our sun that is 3-4 times the size of Earth for NO APPARANT reason. It doesnt just sit there for decoration. Get with the problem.



read my previous posts.

absence of proof is not proof of absence. that point is well taken. but it is not proof of existence either.

i am aware that humans cannot possibly traverse the infinite vastness of the universe, much like ShannonElements has pointed out. moreover, because of the sheer immensity of the universe, there always exists the possibility of extraterrestrial life. I mentioned before that unless humans experience a gigantic technological advancement and paradigm shift, it is not likely we are goin to hop on space cruisers and sail off into the stars like Captain Kirk.


anyway, discussing this topic isn't really something I can claim much expertise on. I know as much as a college student who has never taken astrophysics, but who has taken Intro Bio knows about life and the possibiltiy of extraterrestrial life.


but enjoy the speculation people.


btw GOBB, i've removed the post whore stigma from you. now you can be GOBB-- the true master of ISH.. or whatever else you want to be.
VCDrivesAPorscheToWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:12 PM   #69
Noob Saibot
Good college starter
 
Noob Saibot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Netherrealm
Posts: 3,485
Default

Earth is a small small world after all.
Noob Saibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:15 PM   #70
Psileas
NBA rookie of the year
 
Psileas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Great!
Posts: 6,687
Default

Quote:
This is the thing though: we've only confirmed a handful of planets outside of our solar system. Who's to know what planets might and might not be conducive towards life? Would you say there's maybe a one-in-a-trillion chance that there's life on another planet? Well, those are pretty damn good odds in relation to infinity.

We "only" confirmed the planets we are able to observe. They are all giants, like Jupiter and Saturn, but there probably are many more that haven't yet been possible to observe.

BTW, some believe that the number of stars in the universe is in the range of 10^21-10^22. A one-in-trillion possibility of a star system to support life would still imply the existance of a few trillions of hospitable planets.
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:17 PM   #71
L.Kizzle
ISH's Negro Historian
 
L.Kizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Houston, TX -
Posts: 38,883
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
How long does it take from Earth to pluto? Can a human physically be placed in a spaceship to that destination? And if they cant why create a planet out of reach to man? Man is making great advancements when it deals with outter space. Us humans dont even use our entire brain. So much to learn, so little time for us but we can only hope future generations help uncover the pieces to a great mystery. You dont have a star 20 times the size of our sun that is 3-4 times the size of Earth for NO APPARANT reason. It doesnt just sit there for decoration. Get with the problem.

Agree, everything is here for a reason. Go outside and look at something on the ground. You might say, why is this here, but it is some little creatures home and places for resourses. Look at the Sun and Moon, they are not just here for no reason, earth needs it.

Why are their moons around Jupiter? Who knows.
L.Kizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:17 PM   #72
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies
 
GOBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Illadelph live 215
Posts: 47,205
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonElements
Ever hear of existensialism? It in itself pretty much goes against your argument.

Ever see the movie "What the Bleep do we Know"? You(and everyone) should check it out. It's incredible, and just might alter the way you think in more than a few ways.

I dont care what goes against my argument. You cant explain things existing without purpose. Neither can I but my belief in GOD leads me to believe things arent just there for show n tell. Everything has a purpose. The sun that brightens up our day has a purpose. Can you deny it? Nope. So how can anyone deny the purpose of something far far away that is insane in size? Because they cant get near, experiement, study? Go figure. Man has been making great strides in figuring out what cant be proven based on info placed down for you and I to read. But look at how things are evoling, advanced technology. Who is to say 2-3 thousands years from now we find out the purpose that star serves? And 2-3 thousand years ago we are looked at as "people who didnt believe" much like those who believed the world wasnt round. I'm sure some *****s back then thinkin it was a square went so based on no proof. Not many thought it would be possible to travel into outter space. We're now roaming it like a city.

WE only want to believe what we can see basically. We want some facts written down after reasearch has been done to say "ok i believe". I dont need it, GOD is a supreme being and I wont sit here and think Earth is it and the rest are blinds, shades, posters, mirrors in a *****in room.
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:17 PM   #73
kumquat
College star
 
kumquat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,185
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
How long does it take from Earth to pluto? Can a human physically be placed in a spaceship to that destination? And if they cant why create a planet out of reach to man? Man is making great advancements when it deals with outter space. Us humans dont even use our entire brain. So much to learn, so little time for us but we can only hope future generations help uncover the pieces to a great mystery. You dont have a star 20 times the size of our sun that is 3-4 times the size of Earth for NO APPARANT reason. It doesnt just sit there for decoration. Get with the problem.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_b...misconceptions

Quote:
Even though some mysteries of brain function persist, every part of the brain has a known function.[1][2][3]
kumquat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:20 PM   #74
Jerm
I'm trying to improve myself. I'm the new, better Jerm
 
Jerm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Okokomaiko
Posts: 789
Default

Quote:
It's very difficult for me to imagine some kind of boundry. What would be on the other side of it? Oh, and I seriously doubt we'll ever land on a star...
'

There isn't a bounday per se. Every creature/creation rests on God's palms. So if you get to the end, you'll probably step on God's foot which will spell trouble for the rest of us. God will take a look at what/who stepped on his foot and he'll flail his arms causing an earthquake. Got it?
Jerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 06:21 PM   #75
Psileas
NBA rookie of the year
 
Psileas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Great!
Posts: 6,687
Default

Quote:
Agree, everything is here for a reason. Go outside and look at something on the ground. You might say, why is this here, but it is some little creatures home and places for resourses. Look at the Sun and Moon, they are not just here for no reason, earth needs it.

Why are their moons around Jupiter? Who knows.

I don't think anyone knows what exists for a reason and what not. It's more a matter of chance than reason for me. After all, "reason" is a human-made term above all...
Psileas is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:




Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:52 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

InsideHoops.com Home

NBA Rumors

2019 FIBA World Cup

Team USA Basketball

NBA free agency

NBA free agents list

NBA Videos

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy