Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Jogging late at night

Quote Originally Posted by GoldNugg21
    It's not good for your body to go straight from physical exertion, where your heartbeat is raised and you're consuming alot of energy, to sleep, where your heartbeat is lowered and you're in conservation mode. It isn't usually easy to sleep right after working out either, for the same reason. You need to give your body time to cool down.
    The body does need a buffer. However, I think that the time between the ending of an exercise and a person's going to sleep would be sufficient. I'm assuming that people practice proper hygiene and shower and change after physical exertion (I hope I'm not assuming too much). That 20 or so minute buffer should be enough for a normal person's body to cool down enough before they go to sleep.

It would be best to run right after you wake up in the morning, on an empty stomach(other than water).

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    But if I've been staying up until 1:00-1:30 for the past while anyways, wouldn't that affect my internal clock, and make it, I dunno, later? Or does that do anything?

Are early mornings better?

You work at Wendy's? Best of luck... lol...

What time do you usually get up in the mornings?

It would be best to run right after you wake up in the morning, on an empty stomach(other than water).
    Yup, water and maybe even some fruit juice to get your metabolism going a little bit.

High School Varsity 6th Man

if you wanna get in good shape, stamina wise, the best cardio workout is HIIT, high intensity interval training. if you do it everyday for just a couple of minutes, you'll feel results quickly.

you can do this by running both on the treadmill or the track (also out in the free you will look ridiculous, though).

stationary bike.

eplictical-thingy...

basically any type of cardio exercise..

when i keep my stamina in basketball-type shape during off season i usually do either stationary bike or treadmill, and sometimes burpees.

for stationary bike: warm up a little, two minutes moderate tempo. then: 20 seconds high intensity, 10 seconds low intensity. do that 8 times, continuesly a total of four minutes. if you aren't in great shape, you will be ready to vomit after the first time doing this. when i mean high intensity, i mean give everything you got for 20 seconds. you may rise from the seat, if you find that's easier, BUT ALL YOU GOT.

for treadmill: same.. warm up a couple of minutes in jog-tempo ... there usually is a setting called "interval" or something similar. choose that, and it prompts you to select two speeds ... so when you're actually starting, you just press one button to toggle between speeds.

burpees... holy ****, these are tough ones ... same principle ... i can't really explain the exercise, so here.... there's a gif-animation .. this is a bit different from the other two.. do this exercise for 20 seconds, then a 10 second break .... again, 8 x = 4 minutes continuesly. you will have the shakes after this, if done properly. link to animation:

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/burpeeclip.htm

do one of these everyday and two weeks in, you will be in a lot better shape.

Quote Originally Posted by eurobum
    if you wanna get in good shape, stamina wise, the best cardio workout is HIIT, high intensity interval training. if you do it everyday for just a couple of minutes, you'll feel results quickly.

you can do this by running both on the treadmill or the track (also out in the free you will look ridiculous, though).

stationary bike.

eplictical-thingy...

basically any type of cardio exercise..

when i keep my stamina in basketball-type shape during off season i usually do either stationary bike or treadmill, and sometimes burpees.

for stationary bike: warm up a little, two minutes moderate tempo. then: 20 seconds high intensity, 10 seconds low intensity. do that 8 times, continuesly a total of four minutes. if you aren't in great shape, you will be ready to vomit after the first time doing this. when i mean high intensity, i mean give everything you got for 20 seconds. you may rise from the seat, if you find that's easier, BUT ALL YOU GOT.

for treadmill: same.. warm up a couple of minutes in jog-tempo ... there usually is a setting called "interval" or something similar. choose that, and it prompts you to select two speeds ... so when you're actually starting, you just press one button to toggle between speeds.

burpees... holy ****, these are tough ones ... same principle ... i can't really explain the exercise, so here.... there's a gif-animation .. this is a bit different from the other two.. do this exercise for 20 seconds, then a 10 second break .... again, 8 x = 4 minutes continuesly. you will have the shakes after this, if done properly. link to animation:

http://www.rosstraining.com/articles/burpeeclip.htm

do one of these everyday and two weeks in, you will be in a lot better shape.

truth... search HIIT on google and you can find a good schedule for it. its tough stuff though.

Dont H8 the Laker H8er glidedrxlr22's Avatar

Eurobum, those burpees seem like a cool exercise. I'm not into running. Something like burpees seem to be right up my alley and it seems to hit many body parts while give you an intense cardio workout. I'm gonna give these a try and probably puke....but hey, that means they're working right?

Hey Maxfly, or anyone else that can answer.
    I've had a couple episodes in my life when I was exercising on empty stomach (not morning tho) I turn very weak, couldn't stand or even sit, lips turn white and I be shaking. Low blood sugar is my guess. My question is should I not attempt to run right after waking up, with an empty stomach?

High School Varsity 6th Man Miles and Miles's Avatar

I am an elite level Marathon runner.

Running every day isn't going to hurt you. What will hurt you is doing too much too fast. If you aren't used to running every day and jump from 0 to running every day then there will probably be some problems. I run every single day for years at a time sometimes twice per day up to 140 miles per week. But I didn't get to this point overnight. I also do probably 90% of my runs on pavement. When I do morning runs it's on an empty stomach but if you have time in the morning then I would eat a LITTLE something and then wait a half hour or so before running. Digestion doesn't take place while running so if you eat something RIGHT before running it's just going to slosh around in your stomach and could make you feel sick.

An Icon Forever

Quote Originally Posted by kwajo
    meh it's probably true, but I used to run long distances, +30km, starting at hours like 11 pm or 1 am (ironically enough I did this in Halifax). And I didn't die, so I can't see anything wrong with it.

As for exercising every day, I think that's fine, but you do need a break here and there, maybe only exercise 5/7 days a week or something

kwajo,

1. When you used to be overweight, how many pounds overweight were you?

2. What did you do to lose weight? WHat did you eat and how did you exercise? How many cups of water a day ddi you drink?

3. How long did it take you to lose weight?

4. How long will it take for me to lose 75 lbs?

1. Yeah, why would you run at midnight? Wake up an extra hour early rather than sleep an extra hour late.

2. The whole "work every other day" thing holds true only for strenth building or weight training or something like that. Cardio you can do it everyday if you want. But weight training or strenth building, rest a day.

kwajo,

1. When you used to be overweight, how many pounds overweight were you?

2. What did you do to lose weight? WHat did you eat and how did you exercise? How many cups of water a day ddi you drink?

3. How long did it take you to lose weight?

4. How long will it take for me to lose 75 lbs?
    I'm about to head out, so just quick replies:

1. I was 5'11" 225. take of that what you will

2. Exercised compulsively. Ran every morning before breakfast for 2+months, did basketball training in the afternoon for 1-2 hours, did pushups/sit-ups before bed, et cetera. Kept my diet the same except cut out soda/pop.

3. I lost 40 lbs in the first 2 months, then another 20-30 in the next 2 months (that last bit was the hardest to get off). Of course then I went about trying to add muscle because I had become too thin (6'0" 165lbs. Though now, 5 years later, I'm more like 180 with very low body fat).

4. I'd love to tell you that you could do it in 4 months like me, but it is all individual, could be more, could be less. Just remember to stick with it. I remember for the first 6 weeks I thought I hadn't seen any results, then all of a sudden I remember seeing myself in the mirror and it hit me that I was changing. That gave me such an enormous boost of confidence to go the rest of the way, and I'll never look back.

Lakers 4 life. Kobe!

MONDAY: RUN
    TUESDAY: REST or WEIGHT LIFTING SCHEDULE
    WEDNESDAY: RUN
    THRUSDAY: Rest
    FRIDAY: RUN
    SAT: Optional
    SUN: Optional

and a perfect lowfat diet each day will help! Add some carb for energy.

It's great that you're trying to get all these opinions and everything and take from them what you will, but keep in mind everyone is going to tell you something different because that is what has worked for them. The most important thing you can do when trying to get in shape and workout is listen to your body. If you find running at midnight is a detriment to how you function during the day then stop. Also, remember there's a difference between being tired/sore and being hurt. Don't stop running because it's hard to roll out of bed, but stop if there's a constant ache on a certain area. What I said is probably pretty obvious but a lot of times it gets overlooked by people trying to get back in shape.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kwajo
    I'm about to head out, so just quick replies:

1. I was 5'11" 225. take of that what you will

2. Exercised compulsively. Ran every morning before breakfast for 2+months, did basketball training in the afternoon for 1-2 hours, did pushups/sit-ups before bed, et cetera. Kept my diet the same except cut out soda/pop.

3. I lost 40 lbs in the first 2 months, then another 20-30 in the next 2 months (that last bit was the hardest to get off). Of course then I went about trying to add muscle because I had become too thin (6'0" 165lbs. Though now, 5 years later, I'm more like 180 with very low body fat).

4. I'd love to tell you that you could do it in 4 months like me, but it is all individual, could be more, could be less. Just remember to stick with it. I remember for the first 6 weeks I thought I hadn't seen any results, then all of a sudden I remember seeing myself in the mirror and it hit me that I was changing. That gave me such an enormous boost of confidence to go the rest of the way, and I'll never look back.
    What did you do/eat to add the muscle once you were thin? Did you enter a into a strict regimen and eat only certain foods?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Jasper's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RidonKs
    But if I've been staying up until 1:00-1:30 for the past while anyways, wouldn't that affect my internal clock, and make it, I dunno, later? Or does that do anything?

Are early mornings better?
    Rid - working nights for 30 years I know alittle bit about internal clocks.
    Everyone is different , and when I got into long distance running , running late at night , I only did short runs. In my case I was more tired and charlie horses occurred in my hamstrings .
    If you feel good , do your runs , but with my long distance runs I noticed about an hour later I felt up , and if your hitting the sack (unless your hitting a chick) I'd do it after your day started .
    I'm helping a person rehab from a knee, and just like my running days I always had one day off a week from runs. So instead of 5 -10 mile run , I would jog a 2 miler. Pressing for hoop time , I'd hit some weights and watch the diet. IMO
    good luck