Default Re: Rookie Shaq had a Better Max Vert than Dwayne Wade

Shaq is a freak athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Luigi
    Dwight Howard
    JR Smith
    Amare Stoudemire
    Andre Iguodala

awesome. shaq got up there but I wouldnt have thought that he got up higher than the guys posted above. Do you have a link? these are draft measurements right?

Good High School Starter

Max vert of 36 inches for Shaq. Strong legs.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-...&pos=0&sort=14

Quote Originally Posted by Jinxed
    Max vert of 36 inches for Shaq. Strong legs.

http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-...&pos=0&sort=14
    Yup. That's the source I used. Pretty revealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Luigi
    Also better than
    Rudy Fernandez
    Morris Almond
    Dwight Howard
    JR Smith
    Amare Stoudemire
    Blake Griffin
    Michael Beasley
    Deron Williams
    Andre Iguodala
    Greg Oden

all of these proffesional basketball players, some of them known for being great dunkers (iggy, rudy fernandez, jr smith) have a 36 inch vert or less, but when a thread was posted asking posters what their verts i couldn't count the people who said 35-40.
    and max verts allow running starts, correct?

loool

Quote Originally Posted by Zak
    all of these proffesional basketball players, some of them known for being great dunkers (iggy, rudy fernandez, jr smith) have a 36 inch vert or less, but when a thread was posted asking posters what their verts i couldn't count the people who said 35-40.

loool
    Isn't it the best.

"Go Big or Go Home" miniharrison37's Avatar

Shaq's a beast.

Super Handsome East River Livn''s Avatar

Only LeBron comes close to matching Shaq as a freak physical specimen. 285-295lbs with a 35+ vert is insanity. I am not even sure LeBron at 270 can get up that high at his current weight. Wasn't Bynum supposed to have a 35" vert too? He'd be lucky is he gets up 12" from what it looks like now.

GiveItToBurrito
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

Quote Originally Posted by Zak

loool
    That thread was hilarious. So much so that I even bookmarked it: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26961 Really, I just like the idea of imagining all of these people going through the process of measuring it; it just reminds me of Napoleon Dynamite and the guy throwing the steak for some reason.

Anyways, yeah, Shaq's vert is impressive, and it's crazy how high up he could get the ball. Honestly, I have a hard time believing that he got up higher than some of these guys, especially since he was known strictly as a power dunker when he came in the league, but I guess the numbers don't lie.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by GiveItToBurrito
    That thread was hilarious. So much so that I even bookmarked it: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26961 Really, I just like the idea of imagining all of these people going through the process of measuring it; it just reminds me of Napoleon Dynamite and the guy throwing the steak for some reason.

Anyways, yeah, Shaq's vert is impressive, and it's crazy how high up he could get the ball. Honestly, I have a hard time believing that he got up higher than some of these guys, especially since he was known strictly as a power dunker when he came in the league, but I guess the numbers don't lie.
    Max vert does not tell the whole story. Obviously a guy of shaq's size plays as many minutes as him would not want to jump as high as they can everytime, it would drain their stamina too quickly. Whereas a a bench player like JR smith who is the size of an average shooting guard can afford to jump as high as they possibly can everytime.

You also have to consider how quickly they get off the ground, which is a big part of what allows certain players to play above the rim as someone already mentioned before.

NBA rookie of the year Kingwillball's Avatar

I was surprised Dwight howard ONLY had a 35" Vertical. U watch him in games and on those 12 foot rims and if U didn't know it U would think he had a 40" vert at 6"10.

Vince Carter had a 43" Vert at 6"7 sick.. Derrick Rose with a 40" also impressive.

Doesn't List Lebron but at 6"8 U would have to think he has a 37 or 38 inch Vert at least.

Superstar

Not surprised. Shaq is the biggest freak of nature this league has ever seen. Lebron close second.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Kingwillball
    I was surprised Dwight howard ONLY had a 35" Vertical. U watch him in games and on those 12 foot rims and if U didn't know it U would think he had a 40" vert at 6"10.
    Well Dwight's standing reach is 9'3.5" and he showed in the 2007 dunk contest that he can touch as high as 12'6". That means that Howard's max vert is atleast 38.5". More likely he can touch a bit higher since he also had to concentrate on putting the sticker up while dunking the ball. Dwight's vertical very well could be 40".

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by gencbiba
    dwight is 6'10 at best... shaq was 7'1
    Shaq also already weighed 303 lbs. at the pre-draft camp. He was still an athletic freak in his prime at 340. Hell during, the last year of the 3peat he was still probably the most athletic center and he weighed over 380.