Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Phoenix Suns Forum

Phoenix Suns Forum Phoenix Suns forum - Phoenix Suns message board

Old 12-13-2007, 09:18 AM   #1
3stat2
Local High School Star

3stat2 is considered somewhat cool3stat2 is considered somewhat cool
Default If Popovich was the Suns' coach...

...would we already have at least 1 championship? Now we'll never get Pop as a coach, but I find it interesting to speculate on such things. A lot of people have mentioned that it was D'Antoni's stubborness and inflexibility regarding defense/playing time which led to our demise in the last few playoff series. People have pointed out that with so much talent on our team, we should already have won a championship.

So - do you guys think a coach such as Popovich could have done a better job?

Now obviously different coaches have different styles, and not all coaching styles would fit the Suns' players - however, I do think a top-end coach such as Popovich would be smart enough to adapt his ways to the Suns' players.

He probably would have utilised our roster differently, and would undoubtedly have placed more emphasis on defense - while still recognising and effectively utilising our offensive talent. As a result, I think we would have won at least 1 championship by now.

Note that I'm not saying Mike D is a ****house coach - just that we may already have won a 'ship with a coach like Pop.

What do my fellow Suns' fans think?
3stat2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 06:55 PM   #2
Manphibian420
very nice

Manphibian420 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: If Popovich was the Suns' coach...

Quote:
would we already have at least 1 championship? Now we'll never get Pop as a coach, but I find it interesting to speculate on such things. A lot of people have mentioned that it was D'Antoni's stubborness and inflexibility regarding defense/playing time which led to our demise in the last few playoff series. People have pointed out that with so much talent on our team, we should already have won a championship.
100% false. What are you supposed Suns fans smoking? Were you watching this team in the years before D'Antoni took over? In no way is our team so talented that "we should have already won a championship," you'd have to be a huge homer and/or idiot to think so.
The first year, we had only 5 players (one being the useless QRich) until adding the corpse of Jimmy Jackson late in the year, and still won 62 games and 2 playoff series, including a series against the Mavs after Joe Johnson went down with a broken face. That team had no business winning 60+ games or any playoff series, there were huge holes in the roster and no depth at all. It was D'Antoni adapting his system to the teams strengths and to cover its weaknesses that made that more than just another good team.
The second year, we had no Amare, meaning pretty much no big guys at all. Diaw/KT covered all of the 4/5 minutes until KT went down for the year around midseason, giving us only Diaw, Marion, and the soft as can be Tim Thomas to play the paint. A team with such an unbalanced roster should be .500 at absolute best, and yet we once again won 2 playoff series after winning 54 games. Compare the talent level of that team to any number of mediocre 40-50 win, 1st round loss teams over the last few years, it is about the same, often significantly lower.
Last year was the first time you could say we truly had a championship level roster, with enough size and depth to compete no matter the coach. We lost to a better team, plain and simple, and there were certainly some odd occurrences during the series that could go differently next time around. We still put up a better fight against the Spurs than any other team did during the playoffs. This year is the only one I could see an argument for Pop being able to lead our team to a title where D'Antoni didn't, but a coach deserves more than 1 legit shot before you start writing him off. I'd also say our loss here had very little to do with D'Antoni's decisions, we just got beat.
Pop isn't all Duncan, the same way D'Antoni isn't all Nash, but Duncan is by far, without any doubt, the easiest player in the league to build a championship level team around. Still takes good coaching, but he does a lot to make your D great no matter what the coach does (the same thing Nash can do for your O), while also being the best post player in the league. Pop is a good defensive motivator, but he can't turn a bunch of mediocre defenders into a great unit; He needs that Duncan presence in the middle to do that, and the Suns (like 90% of the NBA) don't have that guy. The better question would be; If the Suns had Duncan/Parker (or any other decent PG) in place of Nash/Amare would they have won at least one title by now (w/D'Antoni coaching)? I don't think there is any doubt.
Complaints of D'Antoni's "playing time" generally come from morons who say things like "we would have won if D'Antoni would have just played Marcus Banks for 20 minutes!" or something similar. Playing your favorite scrub would NOT have made a difference,most of the time it would only have hurt us. Of course since those results are purely theoretical, these idiots assume the absolute best would happen. I was reading a post from someone responding to an azrepublic article the other day, and they actually were trying to say a blowout loss would have become an easy win if "stupid D'Antoni" would just have given Strawberry 10 minutes of PT. Who exactly is stupid there?

Last edited by Manphibian420 : 12-13-2007 at 07:03 PM.
Manphibian420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 04:16 AM   #3
Run&Gun=Fun
128 time NBA All Star

Run&Gun=Fun has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manphibian420
We lost to a better team, plain and simple, and there were certainly some odd occurrences during the series that could go differently next time around.

Finally a suns fan who whom makes me unashamed to be a suns fan.

Run&Gun=Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 02:29 AM   #4
mojorizen7
Can barely lace up my sneakers

mojorizen7 has an OK reputation so far

If Pops were here coaching these same players the last 3 years running his system and having to face a SPURS team running an identical Popovich system.....no we wouldn't have won a championship IMO. We don't have a big man centerpiece who can score inside, outside, defend, rebound, pass, and lead by example ala Tim Duncan.

D'Antoni has won alot of games and entertained us for 3 years now.
His offense was/is a novelty. What we were able to do 2...3 years ago was impressive. If not for the reason that it was new,unorthodox, and at times undefensable by the rest of the league. The league has caught up to Mike's novelty offensive system, and to a lesser extent, playing 7 man rotations from November thru June 3 yrs in a row has begun to wear on our core group.
The system is flawed.
Unless annually winning 55 games and being the most entertaining show in the NBA is your idea of success.
I want and expect more.

GO SUNS
mojorizen7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: