Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 04-17-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Article: Los Angeles Times - Nuggets could make trouble for Lakers

Source: Nuggets could make trouble for Lakers

Quote:

As if printing up metaphors for the press to bash him over the head with, within hours of Denver clinching its playoff berth, Carmelo Anthony was arrested on suspicion of driving while intoxicated.

No, it's not everything you need to know about the Nuggets.

No, they're not thugs, even if they're one of the NBA's top devotees of hip-hop culture.

Yes, they're painfully young and despite an impressive array of talent, they play (and some of them live) that way.

No, it's not the matchup of the Lakers' dreams -- Denver won 50 games, after all -- but because they had to play some West team, it's as good as they could have hoped for.

The Lakers swept the Nuggets, 3-0, winning by an average of 16.3 points.

Kobe Bryant barely had to exert himself, averaging 22 points against them, averaging only 15 shots a game and making 57% of them.

The Nuggets aren't one of the physical teams (like Phoenix or Utah) that could have punished the Lakers inside with Andrew Bynum out.

The Nuggets haven't even faced Pau Gasol as a Laker yet. Bynum played in the first two games; the Lakers won the third, 116-99, with Bynum out, before Gasol was acquired.

The Nuggets are No. 2 on offense and No. 29 on defense, but for a team that lives and dies on its point total, their offense has holes:

* Anthony and Allen Iverson are friendly but not complementary. Both need the ball and don't make the game easier for each other.

* With all their problems, the Nuggets would still be scary on offense with good outside shooting, but they were No. 19 in three-point accuracy.

* Their shot selection, if you want to call it that, makes it remarkable -- or shows how good their individual parts are -- that they're No. 6 in field-goal percentage.

The way to control a running team is attack it inside, which is what the Lakers were built to do with Gasol (and one day Bynum?) in their triangle offense.

With teammates involved, Bryant is harder to key on, making the game child's play for him compared to the burden he had to carry for three seasons.

Nevertheless, the Nuggets didn't get here by accident.

If Anthony and Iverson get help from J.R. Smith (16 points a game after the All-Star break, making 41% of his three-pointers), Anthony Carter (29% on threes before the break, 40% after) and hot-and-cold Linas Kleiza (41% on threes in December, 30% in April), this can still be the last thing the Lakers want, a real series.

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:57 PM   #2
LuppersGB
GB Laker Nation

Default Re: Article: Los Angeles Times - Nuggets could make trouble for Lakers

not only is having gasol and kobe gona help, but i seem to remember that our bench mob destroyed them in one of the games. lets hope the unity and flow between starters and bench causes havoc against a rather non-existant defence. But out of all this i am still worried, slightly, by Jr Smith's ability to completly go off on one....i believe this will win them one game.
LuppersGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #3
SCV42
Buck Foston

Yeah, anything could happen in the playoffs. I feel it would sting wayyyyyy worse to lose to the Nuggets than PHX the last few years (well, that bastard Tim Thomas in game 6 sucked). But with the addition of Gasol, I feel we should do pretty well.

The biggest improvement I have seen since Gasol arrived is that we have a finisher that Kobe can dish to, and our players can slash alot because Gasol is a heck of a passer. He also is good about not getting in foul trouble and me makes his man miss shots because he always has his hands up and contests.
SCV42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:17 AM   #4
Local High School Star

"Nevertheless, the Nuggets didn't get here by accident."

Ummm, yea they did. GSW played a couple harder teams to close the season and lost key games. Denver made it by a game.
211269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:27 AM   #5
LakerDynasty00
High school junior varsity star

Quote:
Originally Posted by 211269
"Nevertheless, the Nuggets didn't get here by accident."

Ummm, yea they did. GSW played a couple harder teams to close the season and lost key games. Denver made it by a game.

They still won 50 games in the West. Sure we're heavy favorites, but this is not a regular 1-8 match-up like it would have been almost any other year!
LakerDynasty00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
gts
Sons of Antartica

anything can happen, i think the lakers will make fairly short work of the nuggets... the nuggets don't really have the d to contain the lakers nor the coach to make the types of adjustments that they'll need to counter phil and his game planing
gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 12:38 PM   #7
LuppersGB
GB Laker Nation

the only problems i forsee are
1) if Jr smith goes off on one
2) we get cocky...thus underestimate the underdogs. You should never undersestimate the underdogs as they will always come round and bite you. Laker evidence this season - losses to charlotte, memphis, portland etc.. Then again this is the playoffs so everyone should be aware anyone could win it in the west. Do not go into this game at a waltz thinkin we'll stroll through!
LuppersGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:03 PM   #8
ihatetimthomas
NBA Superstar

They have the offense to create some concern, but I just think their D is so horrible that they will not be able to win enough games in a series. There is no one that can handle Kobe. They may be forced to put Melo on Kobe but Kobe is quicker and it will be a drain on Melo to guard him
ihatetimthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:15 PM   #9
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetimthomas
They have the offense to create some concern, but I just think their D is so horrible that they will not be able to win enough games in a series. There is no one that can handle Kobe. They may be forced to put Melo on Kobe but Kobe is quicker and it will be a drain on Melo to guard him

when it gets to the playoffs, D usually tightens. Dont expect them to average 110 on us.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 04:45 PM   #10
SCV42
Buck Foston

I think Turiaf will have to be a factor. Camby has his bib on and is planning to feast defensively. Keep him off the boards.
SCV42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:56 PM   #11
magicmanfan
Local High School Star

A real series is not the worry, winning the series is!!!
A tough series might be good for our young players...
show them what the second season really is.

We can pick it up a notch and need to, so I hope the
series has some grit to it. KB and Fish know this and
will lead the way.....
magicmanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 09:51 PM   #12
alexthegod
Local High School Star

Denver has a shooters chance of getting out of the first round and I just can't see them staying hot long enough to win 4 games in this series.

If the Lakers bring that defensive intensity we saw against SA and NO at the end of the season, they should be able able to make short work of them.

Then we have to hope that the HOU/UTA series goes 7 games so that Bynum and Ariza have more time to heal.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 11:56 PM   #13
gts
Sons of Antartica

a message from our fellow castaway laker fans

gts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2008, 12:02 AM   #14
SourGrapes
let's go lake show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gts
a message from our fellow castaway laker fans

LOL

if i remember correctly, the lakers passing is ridiculous against the nuggets, and that was before pau arrived.

the only thing that worries me is that camby couldnt handle bynum in the post, but he might be able to play pau straight up pretty well.
SourGrapes is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: