Default Senate Democrats block bill to strip federal funds from 'sanctuary cities'

So, Obama can threaten pulling federal funds for schools that don't allow trannies to pick and choose which bathroom to use, but he won't allow federal funding to be pulled from cities that openly protect illegal immigrants in violation of federal law?

The Obama administration is planning to issue a sweeping directive telling every public school district in the country to allow transgender students to use the bathrooms that match their gender identity.

It does not have the force of law, but it contains an implicit threat: Schools that do not abide by the Obama administration’s interpretation of the law could face lawsuits or a loss of federal aid.
    Can anyone tell me a GOOD reason why there shouldn't be a harsher sentence for being caught in the US AFTER being caught here illegally once before?

That's why the immigration problem will never get better, because they don't give a **** if they are caught. It's no different than petty criminals on our streets now. 6 counts of assault and you're not in jail? Shit, make it 7, cause why not? You won't be punished for it anyway so what's the big deal?

WASHINGTON — Senate Democrats blocked a bill Wednesday that would have stripped federal grant money from "sanctuary cities" that protect undocumented immigrants from being turned over to federal agents for deportation.

Senators voted 53-44 to advance the legislation by Sen. Pat Toomey, R-Penn., seven votes short of the 60 needed to bring the bill to the floor.

Democrats also blocked a bill by Sen. Ted Cruz, R-Texas, that would have increased prison sentences for undocumented immigrants who repeatedly enter the United States illegally. Senators voted 55-42 to advance that bill, falling five votes short of the 60 votes needed.

Cruz's bill, which he dubbed Kate's Law, would have increased from two years to five years the maximum prison term for an undocumented immigrant who re-entered the U.S. after being denied admission or deported. It also would have created a maximum 10-year prison term for any migrant who re-entered the U.S. illegally after being removed on three or more prior attempts.
    A GOOD reason. And no...

Reid said the bill "would enact unnecessary mandatory-minimum sentences that would cost billions and billions of new dollars, increase the prison population and siphon funding from state and local law enforcement."
    That's not a good reason. That's an excuse in order to not alienate your voting bloc when it comes time for re-election.

Default Re: Senate Democrats block bill to strip federal funds from 'sanctuary cities'

It's rare to see a group of people as intent on civilisational self-destruction as the American Democratic Party. It's like if someone breaks into your house and instead of shooting him or calling the police you make him a nice meal and ask him if he'd like to f*ck your wife--and pretty soon the whole neighbourhood will be breaking in.

Default Re: Senate Democrats block bill to strip federal funds from 'sanctuary cities'

I'm just still shocked blacks, the majority of whom work likely work lower paying jobs, would vote for a party attempting to economically exterminate them.

The idea of threatening to withdraw federal funding because somewhere doesn't agree with you is dumb, and borderline oppressive. The fact that cities openly assist those violating federal law is dumber.

Picking and choosing to ignore federal laws? Interesting times.

Local High School Star west_tip's Avatar

Tbh I agree with Reid on the imprisonment piece. I'm actually okay with not increasing the prison sentences for illegal aliens because ultimately the cost of imprisoning them is incurred by the taxpayer. I get that it is supposed to be a deterrent but will people really be more deterred by a 5 year rather than a 2 year sentence? I'm not sure they would.

However, the existence of sanctuary cities does not sit well with me at all and never has. Cities should not be enabling illegal aliens to violate the law.

Quote Originally Posted by west_tip
    Tbh I agree with Reid on the imprisonment piece. I'm actually okay with not increasing the prison sentences for illegal aliens because ultimately the cost of imprisoning them is incurred by the taxpayer. I get that it is supposed to be a deterrent but will people really be more deterred by a 5 year rather than a 2 year sentence? I'm not sure they would.

However, the existence of sanctuary cities does not sit well with me at all and never has. Cities should not be enabling illegal aliens to violate the law.
    I'd rather pay to have them locked up then have them out on the streets raping and murdering Americans.