Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2009, 12:28 PM   #31
Mdog1
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,977
Default Re: Just how physical was the Jordan era? I can open your eyes. You must see this!

The only difference in defenses is from the 80's when they didn't know what D was to the 90's when they finally figured it out. There is no difference between defenses now and in the 90's, and if there is it is the zone.
Mdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #32
bruceblitz
blitzsportsnetwork.com
 
bruceblitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: blitzsportsnetwork.com
Posts: 2,922
Default Re: Just how physical was the Jordan era? I can open your eyes. You must see this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdog1
The only difference in defenses is from the 80's when they didn't know what D was to the 90's when they finally figured it out. There is no difference between defenses now and in the 90's, and if there is it is the zone.
OK, that makes a lot of sense. Not. I watch basketball a lot, have been watching the game for nearly 30 years(I'm in my 30's), and I see less physical play now, by a mile. I see more drives to the basket. I see scoring on the perimeter easier than ever before. Don't just take my word for it, Reggie Miller, Scottie Pippen, Michael Jordan, Clyde Drexler, Joe Dumars, Tex Winter and many others have all said the same thing. It's easier now for perimeter players to score, that's a fact. A 100% stone cold fact. You do know that zone defenses react to the ball. Zone is most effective on teams that use a rotation style offense. Also, teams in the NBA run man to man with rotation help 99.9999999999999999% of the time. You can't run a true zone with the 3 second rule in tact. You also are stating that teams run zone now, like they didn't in Jordan's era, which they did. Coaches laughed at the thought of using zone because it leaves too many open lanes for off-the-ball cutting to the basket. Notice how Pat Riley makes fun of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOt5lavQIpk
He's talking about the early 90's Hawks team that featured a 1-2-2 zone defense. The only place true zones are run is in college.

View this video, tell me there aren't any differences:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du-C-TvHqzA

Even if you stack up 5 guys on penetration in today's game, which is what Jordan faced, but, if you make any contact it's a foul.

Why the hell do so many basketball fans show such a lack of knowledge of the game they supposedly love?

Last edited by bruceblitz : 03-08-2009 at 01:08 PM.
bruceblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:56 PM   #33
Mdog1
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,977
Default Re: Just how physical was the Jordan era? I can open your eyes. You must see this!

I don't know why you lack so much knowledge? The 80's D was terrible, don't try to tell me any different. I have watched games, and seen 1 vs 1 play which for a good player is 10x easier to break down then team defense is. The D might not be as physical now, but it is very similar to the 90's. I never said that the D was as physical, I said that the caliber of d is similar to that of the 90's, and 2003 was better then any other defensive year.
Mdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:58 PM   #34
Riker
Prime Weak Era GOAT
 
Riker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Croatia
Posts: 1,285
Default Re: Just how physical was the Jordan era? I can open your eyes. You must see this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceblitz
Why the hell do so many basketball fans show such a lack of knowledge of the game they supposedly love?


Because most of mud brained NBA fans (99% of this forum) watch it for entertainment.

Entertainment in America assumes low brain usage.

NBA became a low brain usage sport.

It's simple.

You touch a star player you get a call. You ref like you supposed to and do damage to team that has the popular player - you lose fans.

You lose fans you lose money and NBA is at such a sorry state now, rating wise, they can't allow that.

Hence, dumbed rules, fabricated results and no A-Rods.
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:00 PM   #35
bruceblitz
blitzsportsnetwork.com
 
bruceblitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: blitzsportsnetwork.com
Posts: 2,922
Default Re: Just how physical was the Jordan era? I can open your eyes. You must see this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdog1
I don't know why you lack so much knowledge? The 80's D was terrible, don't try to tell me any different. I have watched games, and seen 1 vs 1 play which for a good player is 10x easier to break down then team defense is. The D might not be as physical now, but it is very similar to the 90's. I never said that the D was as physical, I said that the caliber of d is similar to that of the 90's, and 2003 was better then any other defensive year.
You are contradicting yourself all over the place. Nice to see that you think the 80's Celts, 80's Pistons, 80's Jazz, etc couldn't play D.

you =
bruceblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:00 PM   #36
bruceblitz
blitzsportsnetwork.com
 
bruceblitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: blitzsportsnetwork.com
Posts: 2,922
Default Re: Just how physical was the Jordan era? I can open your eyes. You must see this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker
Because most of mud brained NBA fans (99% of this forum) watch it for entertainment.

Entertainment in America assumes low brain usage.

NBA became a low brain usage sport.

It's simple.

You touch a star player you get a call. You ref like you supposed to and do damage to team that has the popular player - you lose fans.

You lose fans you lose money and NBA is at such a sorry state now, rating wise, they can't allow that.

Hence, dumbed rules, fabricated results and no A-Rods.

Well, I wasn't going to say it, but now that you have, I agree 100%.
bruceblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:01 PM   #37
bruceblitz
blitzsportsnetwork.com
 
bruceblitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: blitzsportsnetwork.com
Posts: 2,922
Default Re: Just how physical was the Jordan era? I can open your eyes. You must see this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker
Because most of mud brained NBA fans (99% of this forum) watch it for entertainment.

Entertainment in America assumes low brain usage.

NBA became a low brain usage sport.

It's simple.

You touch a star player you get a call. You ref like you supposed to and do damage to team that has the popular player - you lose fans.

You lose fans you lose money and NBA is at such a sorry state now, rating wise, they can't allow that.

Hence, dumbed rules, fabricated results and no A-Rods.
Did you notice that I posted a 10 minute video and a 1 minute video for that goof to watch and clearly he didn't watch either? Yet he still responds. I guess I will just consider the source with a numbskull like that.
bruceblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:06 PM   #38
the.powerhouse
I usually hit open layups
 
the.powerhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: London
Posts: 181
Default Re: Just how physical was the Jordan era? I can open your eyes. You must see this!

That video is great, that's how basketball should be played!

Trouble is the NBA had to change the rules because the player's skills at the end of the 90s weren't good enough to score points with that amount of physical contact going on!

Part of it was also better conditioning and strength training. Also at the end of the 90s a lot of teams just resorted to playing isolated plays for their star players (Iverson anyone?), so that's another reason why the games turned ugly, and a lot of the time ended with scores in the 70s, or 80s.

I think now the NBA could actually toughen up again, because a lot of teams have turned back to playing the team game instead of the one-on-one isolations.
the.powerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:11 PM   #39
Riker
Prime Weak Era GOAT
 
Riker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Croatia
Posts: 1,285
Default Re: Just how physical was the Jordan era? I can open your eyes. You must see this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceblitz
Did you notice that I posted a 10 minute video and a 1 minute video for that goof to watch and clearly he didn't watch either? Yet he still responds. I guess I will just consider the source with a numbskull like that.

I've been subscribed to your MJ channel for quite some time.

I have to say you're doing it wrong.


I don't know how you didn't pick up on it. You live in the US, you should know.

You need to boil it down to 3 or 5 seconds videos because, no disrespect, but an average dudes over there can keep his peanut brain in focus on certain subject for 5 seconds tops.

After those 5 seconds expire - it's over man, they can't compute. So they go to "_________ (insert favorite player) mix" and watch it for the 25625th time and then go on forums to share their excitement.


Basically what I'm saying is.....you're barking at the wrong tree.


People who want to watch your vids will subscribe to your channel and watch it.

And that's it.
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:17 PM   #40
bruceblitz
blitzsportsnetwork.com
 
bruceblitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: blitzsportsnetwork.com
Posts: 2,922
Default Re: Just how physical was the Jordan era? I can open your eyes. You must see this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker
I've been subscribed to your MJ channel for quite some time.

I have to say you're doing it wrong.


I don't know how you didn't pick up on it. You live in the US, you should know.

You need to boil it down to 3 or 5 seconds videos because, no disrespect, but an average dudes over there can keep his peanut brain in focus on certain subject for 5 seconds tops.

After those 5 seconds expire - it's over man, they can't compute. So they go to "_________ (insert favorite player) mix" and watch it for the 25625th time and then go on forums to share their excitement.


Basically what I'm saying is.....you're barking at the wrong tree.


People who want to watch your vids will subscribe to your channel and watch it.

And that's it.
Well, I know this much, I've shown a lot of homers the light. So whatever I've done, it's worked in most cases. I do agree that my "Michael Jordan absolutely destroys Alonzo Mourning" video or the "Jordan owning Shaq in Shaq's prime" are unfortunately very popular. I shouldn't say unfortunately, but there are other videos I would like to see get more attention. That being said, my "Jordan vs Real Defenses" video has gotten the respect and attention it deserves. I can only imagine how much attention the "Michael Jordan vs physical intense defense MJ vs Real defenses the Jordan era! MUST SEE!!!" video will get over time.

Really, I could retire from video making today, and it would be all good. That being said, I did retire last year from August until about December, and sometimes I regret putting this much time into my hobby. It gets annoying trying to preach to a deaf choir. Someone's gotta do it though.
bruceblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:20 PM   #41
c_az_a
Dunking on everybody in the park
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 639
Default Re: Just how physical was the Jordan era? I can open your eyes. You must see this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasterL
im watching the 1992 ecsf knicks bulls atm. its so much more physical than the game today, some normal fouls would be possibly flagrant today, and some no calls back then are outright fouls in todays game, although that was a very physical series. there are no pusssy touch fouls either where a player brushes against another players shirt and gets a free trip to the line. its always suprising how much is differnt now

Kobe misses a shot, he's jawing for a ticky tack foul. LeBron barrels into the lane, gets pinched, goes to the free throw line. What about Tony Parker tripping on his own feet, then getting a foul called by the nearest defender. My analogy = NBA went from UFC to the WWE.
c_az_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:23 PM   #42
loot
H.U.M.A.N. World
 
loot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,014
Default Re: Just how physical was the Jordan era? I can open your eyes. You must see this!

Don't get carried away. Deandre has barely been in the league for half a season. It's not his era. Yet.
loot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:26 PM   #43
Riker
Prime Weak Era GOAT
 
Riker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Croatia
Posts: 1,285
Default Re: Just how physical was the Jordan era? I can open your eyes. You must see this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_az_a
Kobe misses a shot, he's jawing for a ticky tack foul. LeBron barrels into the lane, gets pinched, goes to the free throw line. What about Tony Parker tripping on his own feet, then getting a foul called by the nearest defender. My analogy = NBA went from UFC to the WWE.

I think you're not right.

NBA today is so much better, better tactics, better players, better shooters, better coaches, everythings better.

Let's embrace this new era, which I personally dubbed, "A Better Era"
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:31 PM   #44
bruceblitz
blitzsportsnetwork.com
 
bruceblitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: blitzsportsnetwork.com
Posts: 2,922
Default Re: Just how physical was the Jordan era? I can open your eyes. You must see this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker
I think you're not right.

NBA today is so much better, better tactics, better players, better shooters, better coaches, everythings better.

Let's embrace this new era, which I personally dubbed, "A Better Era"
bruceblitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:37 PM   #45
Mdog1
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 2,977
Default Re: Just how physical was the Jordan era? I can open your eyes. You must see this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceblitz
You are contradicting yourself all over the place. Nice to see that you think the 80's Celts, 80's Pistons, 80's Jazz, etc couldn't play D.

you =
I never contradicted myself actually. You put words in my mouth and I told you I did not say that. D is similar in skill level, but it is not as physical now.
Mdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:


Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:20 PM.






NBA BASKETBALL FORUM KEY LINKS:

NBA Basketball

NBA Rumors

Basketball Blog

NBA Videos

Search Site

FOLLOW US
Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy