Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Memphis Grizzlies Forum

Memphis Grizzlies Forum Memphis Grizzlies forum - Memphis Grizzlies message board

Old 02-03-2008, 12:33 AM   #1
Kobe/Bynum/Gasol
Learning to shoot layups

Default Greating from LA-LA Land

Hey guys, I just wanted to know how good Gasol can be i dont really know how good he can be, Can you guys tell me a bit about him..

And i know most of you are mad that you didnt get much in return but Brown maybe just nedded a change and given a chance he could make a difference,Plays pretty good D as well, And Javaris is going to be special, I didnt really want to see him go but it happend so you guys should be in for a treat for years too come..And dont forget you free'd up some $$ so the off season could be fun as well...

Good luck to you guys.....
Kobe/Bynum/Gasol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:20 AM   #2
TJ4'D
I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Default Re: Greating from LA-LA Land

There are other people on here that would be able to elaborate on Gasol's game more then I am able to (Kwajo, Kebab Stall, jailer and Gasolina) but I will give you my thoughts on him.

Gasol can be a 20/10 player in this league. While realistically he won't average that in LA, I don't think it is unrealistic to say that he will be able to put up around 18/9. He can score in a variety of different ways. He is a good post player that can score with his back to the basket, but he is also able to step outside and hit some jumpers. He is most effective when he is working in the post though, at least from what I have seen. He has a really good post game and can score very effectively from there. He will be able to take pressure off of Kobe, that is for sure. If he gets the touches, I have no doubt in my mind that he will be able to put up around 25 points. He won't get enough touches to do that though.

I am not exactly sure about his passing. From what I have seen, it is alright. He is able to recognize where the double is coming from and kick it out to the open man. He isn't a Dwight Howard type passer, that is for sure. He is above average at passing out of doubles, at least from what I have seen.

Defensively, he isn't the greatest. I wouldn't say that he is a liability either though. I would consider him average as a defensive player. He is able to guard his own position (power forward) without too much troubles. He isn't a lockdown type defender by any stretch of the imagination though that is for sure. He is what I would consider average. You aren't going to be blown away from him defensively, but you also won't think to yourself that he is a horrible defender.

As much as I hate to say it, I think that he will flourish in LA (I am not a fan of the Lakers). His game is better suited to be a 2nd option rather then a go to guy in my opinion. He will compliment Kobe very well and open things up for him. It will take him some time to adjust to the different playing styles though. However, once he learns and adapts to playing in the triangle offense, I think that he will be a great secondary option for the Lakers. Adding Gasol is going to make a huge impact to the Lakers, and it really pains me to say that.

There is my opinion of Gasol. I don't know as much about him as the others I mentioned above though. If you want a more indepth analysis of Gasol's game, they would be able to give it to you.

Hope that helped though.
TJ4'D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:32 AM   #3
chipper204
Saw a basketball once

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ4'D
There are other people on here that would be able to elaborate on Gasol's game more then I am able to (Kwajo, Kebab Stall, jailer and Gasolina) but I will give you my thoughts on him.

Gasol can be a 20/10 player in this league. While realistically he won't average that in LA, I don't think it is unrealistic to say that he will be able to put up around 18/9. He can score in a variety of different ways. He is a good post player that can score with his back to the basket, but he is also able to step outside and hit some jumpers. He is most effective when he is working in the post though, at least from what I have seen. He has a really good post game and can score very effectively from there. He will be able to take pressure off of Kobe, that is for sure. If he gets the touches, I have no doubt in my mind that he will be able to put up around 25 points. He won't get enough touches to do that though.

I am not exactly sure about his passing. From what I have seen, it is alright. He is able to recognize where the double is coming from and kick it out to the open man. He isn't a Dwight Howard type passer, that is for sure. He is above average at passing out of doubles, at least from what I have seen.

Defensively, he isn't the greatest. I wouldn't say that he is a liability either though. I would consider him average as a defensive player. He is able to guard his own position (power forward) without too much troubles. He isn't a lockdown type defender by any stretch of the imagination though that is for sure. He is what I would consider average. You aren't going to be blown away from him defensively, but you also won't think to yourself that he is a horrible defender.

As much as I hate to say it, I think that he will flourish in LA (I am not a fan of the Lakers). His game is better suited to be a 2nd option rather then a go to guy in my opinion. He will compliment Kobe very well and open things up for him. It will take him some time to adjust to the different playing styles though. However, once he learns and adapts to playing in the triangle offense, I think that he will be a great secondary option for the Lakers. Adding Gasol is going to make a huge impact to the Lakers, and it really pains me to say that.

There is my opinion of Gasol. I don't know as much about him as the others I mentioned above though. If you want a more indepth analysis of Gasol's game, they would be able to give it to you.

Hope that helped though.

thank you for the brief analysis on the new lakers .......

I am a laker fan and i am very pleased we got a player like gasol .....i think memphis try to clear up some cap space in order to cutting down the committed payroll by unloading pau .....

as mike heisley is gettin ready to sell the grizz...e wants to raised the value of the team by unloading some long term commited payroll like gasol

its my opinion :)
chipper204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
gasolina
DEY DA-PRESSED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ4'D

Spot on being the 2nd option. One of the reasons why the Grizz couldn't win any playoff games because they had very few weapons. It was just Pau, and Mike Miller, who plays off Pau very well. Jason Williams could do one thing which was get the ball to Pau. Shane was and is still a spot up shooter and Lorenzen didn't matter.

Now, Pau can certainly create his own shot, but he can't carry a team. The grizz were able to rely on him to score night in and out during the regular season, but when the playoffs came the defenses knew how to cut him off and he resulted to be a jumpshooter. His jumpshot is good up to 15 feet but his form is bad and you just can't rely on it.

As TJ4d said, he will fit in nicely with Kobe, or any wing to be exact. He would've fit really nice with Gay if only Gay was 2 years older and more mature. He would fit in nicely in the triangle, with his ability to pass from the top of the key and put the ball in the floor from there and score.

Defensively he'd do good not to guard people one on one. Though he can anchor a team's defense a la tim duncan lite.
gasolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 12:21 AM   #5
Nbafan77
Saw a basketball once

Hey Memphis fans, thanks for all the analysis on Gasol. :)

Now, I will return the favor and give you an idea on Brown and Critt, who as the Origional poster said will be very good some day. Brown is a defensive player and plays very psychologically. Meaning, if Kwame got a dunk on his first play he would feel confident and probably have a 14/12 game. If he starts off with a fumble/missed layup, and the crowd starts hating him, he will likely go 6/5 and get around 7 turnovers. Make sure you treat him well and he may be a good addition . Second, Critt is one of the best penetration players I have ever seen. When he played with the lakers, he easily got to the hoop whenever he had the ball. The problem was that he couldn't finish, but I think that will change soon. He also has very nice ball handling skills and can consistently knock down the open J and can sometimes hit a contested shot.

Overall, you guys honestly did get the short end of the stick, but in two years I think Critt will become a big star for your team.
Nbafan77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:32 PM   #6
jailer
MillionDollarException

I like to think of gasol as the b-rated KG. He has the same game except not as much fire. Everything he does is a little worst then KG. KG has good defene also. Pau is a good shot blocker but is not good at one on one. Pau is a skilled passer. His shot has improved.His free throw shooting has gotten alot better. He can finish with both hands. He is escpecially good on the left base line.Only a few guys his size can guard him when he puts the ball on the floor. He is in his prime so the next three years will be his best.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #7
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jailer
I like to think of gasol as the b-rated KG. He has the same game except not as much fire. Everything he does is a little worst then KG. KG has good defene also. Pau is a good shot blocker but is not good at one on one. Pau is a skilled passer. His shot has improved.His free throw shooting has gotten alot better. He can finish with both hands. He is escpecially good on the left base line.Only a few guys his size can guard him when he puts the ball on the floor. He is in his prime so the next three years will be his best.
Atleast those years will be spent with a contending team. It's better than playing for a team that doesn't look like it's going anywhere.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 08:57 PM   #8
alexthegod
Local High School Star

Another Laker Fan here chiming in. I'm pretty happy to have Pau in Purple and Gold and here to tell you guys the deal isn't as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Be patient with J-Critt, Marc Gasol, and the coming cap space. Here's my 2 cents:

J-Critt has major game. He already has good range, superior ball handling ability, and is a clutch shooter. He can play either guard position and plays with fire. J-Critt will be a little turnover prone at times, but that will pass with experience. He'll become a strong finisher too, he lacks a little confidence finishing right now. He's not going to turn into a stud overnight, but expect this kid to become at a very good player and show marked improvement year after year.

Marc is the MVP of the spanish league from what I hear and is a big guy in the middle at 7'1. If the Lakers didn't have Andrew he may not have been offered in the deal.

With the cap relief you'll gain, MEM will be 1 of only 3 teams that can offer an impact free agent max money, so that will be a huge advantage.

Then of course the two 1st round picks. That gives you 2 1st round picks for next season.

So next season you'll have 2 young prospects, be 1 of only 3 to teams that can offer a max contract, and have 2 1st round picks.

Now for the bad news....Kwame is going to drive you absouletly crazy only because he's replacing Pau. You can't help but compare the two but everytime this guy starts driving you crazy (and he will because he has zero offensive game) just remember he's going to go away after the season and is the reason why you'll be able to offer a stud free agent max $$$. Just think, Put up with Kwame for half a season then he goes away and you have a chance to land a Barron Davis, Elton Brand, Gilbert Arenas, Shawn Marion, or other stud in addition too J-Critt/Marc Gasol and 2 first round picks in 08.

Only time will tell how good/bad/even this trade turns out. Hopefully it works out well for both teams, because thats why they make the deals.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:35 AM   #9
Kebab Stall
I am Chris Wilcox

Thanks for the input guys some great posts in here.

Alexthegod, you make it sound rather simple to how the Grizz's future could turn out. Infact too simple and that's what worries me, because I doubt the management here have realized that.
Kebab Stall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:57 PM   #10
alexthegod
Local High School Star

Everything depends on management for sure, but this offseason they will have plenty of opportunity to do a lot of things. Lots of young talent, 2 1st round draft picks, and major coin. No other team in the NBA will have all those assets together this offseason. What they do with that cap space is the most important part, landing an allstar player would really make this deal look good.

Hopefully they keep Miller (I think they will), he might be the best pure shooter in the game, and he's just sick when he gets hot.
alexthegod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:17 PM   #11
berraco
Darko The Ripper

I read somewhere (and I think I already posted it in another thread) that the idea is to keep the salary cap until 2009, and then try to join a star to the young core developed during this and next year. I really have my doubts on Mike, although Wallace said they can see him staying, because Miller could ask for a trade fed up of all this rebuilding processes. And he deserves it.
berraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 02:21 PM   #12
jailer
MillionDollarException

As long as pau is playing like he did last night.The deal is gonna be hard to swallow.
jailer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: