Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default What is your wildest unpopular hot take NBA opinion that you believe to be true?

What NBA opinion do you hold that is wildly unpopular, and often seem as an irresponsible hot take, that you genuinely believe to be true? (And can presumably back up in a debate if you needed to do so?)

And for the sake of interesting responses, please focus on teams, players, etc. other than LeBron James. Think about the entire league. Current stuff and the past as well.

Default Re: What is your wildest unpopular hot take NBA opinion that you believe to be true?

Darko was the second most talented player in the 2003 NBA draft and if he had, by chance, found the right coach to develop his psyche properly, he would have gone down as an all time NBA great. Hell it's entirely possible that if he had THE right NBA coach, he could have gone down as the best player in the 2003 NBA draft, as ridiculous as that sounds. The guy was talented af but he was very shaky psychologically and Lary Brown went ahead and dumped gasoline on the fire instead of trying to put it out.

Made that high school varsity squad

Default Re: What is your wildest unpopular hot take NBA opinion that you believe to be true?

That Jeff Hornacek is a good coach and if he is given a team with legitimate talent will take them far. Even with the knicks he had that team fighting for a playoff spot and was near .500 before Porzingis went down. He also did a good job with a bad Suns team until they completely gutted his roster and decided to tank.

Iverson is a top 20 player of all time

NBA refs are good at their job. The rules themselves are impossible to apply.

College superstar

Phoenix wins the 2011 championship if they resign Amare.

Oh I got another one;

Iverson was the best player on the league during the 04-05 season

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri View Post
    I think for the most part you're spot on. However, there are definitely referees that let their emotions cloud their reffing. In other words, they're acting like children. And you can't say that they don't favor superstars, because they absolutely do.

So the refs are far from perfect, and with the benefit of instant replay and HD, it's easy to call them out, but I think for the most part they are really good. It's just that every mistake is amplified... and even with all that, yes, there are a few bad apples even still.

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri View Post
    I mostly agree with this. People love to complain about the refs, but overall they do a good job and reffing basketball at the speed of the NBA is extremely difficult.

Having said that, I'd buy the 2006 Finals being fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohan View Post
    Oh I got another one;

Iverson was the best player on the league during the 04-05 season
    I don't think that is that unpopular. He led the league in scoring and steals and was all nba first team that year. I was surprised he pushed Jim Obrien out the door. The Sixers were improved from the year before and that might have been Iverson's best regular season of his career.

Local High School Star

The only PF’s to ever be better than a 2016 Draymond were Duncan and Garnett. And only maybe Garnett.

Every single other PF he surpassed on raw game impact

Going further, the Warrior get visibly and objectively worse replacing Dirk, Barkley, or Malone with Draymond in 2016.

Quote Originally Posted by BigtimeNBAFan View Post
    I don't think that is that unpopular. He led the league in scoring and steals and was all nba first team that year. I was surprised he pushed Jim Obrien out the door. The Sixers were improved from the year before and that might have been Iverson's best regular season of his career.
    This, you made my day with such a wonderful post

The West has the best players.

The East has the best coaches.

National High School Star WhiteKyrie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gohan View Post
    Iverson is a top 20 player of all time
    How could you not consider him that? Or even in that top 30? At worst 6th or at best the 5th best SG ever. And he really was a minuscule 5’11 PG / Combo Guard. Pound for pound one of the greatest ever.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shogon View Post
    Darko was the second most talented player in the 2003 NBA draft and if he had, by chance, found the right coach to develop his psyche properly, he would have gone down as an all time NBA great. Hell it's entirely possible that if he had THE right NBA coach, he could have gone down as the best player in the 2003 NBA draft, as ridiculous as that sounds. The guy was talented af but he was very shaky psychologically and Lary Brown went ahead and dumped gasoline on the fire instead of trying to put it out.

Forget being better than Lebron or Wade....

Im still waiting for you to tell me why he should have been better than someone like Pau Gasol who was a better post scorer, shooter, ball handler, and passer.

He just wasn’t THAT talented or skilled. He’s not even on the “Could have been....” big man short list.

Darko wasn’t a better post scorer, shooter, ball handler, passer, or rebounder than Derrick Coleman nor was he more athletic.

His “flashes” were shit average players did now and then. The best plays of his career weren’t nearly as impressive as what guys like Blake were doing inside their first hour of PT.

He just didn’t do much. Ever. Darko is all about what he might have been able to do not the amazing things he did but not consistently. He didn’t do amazing things to begin with.

The best play of his career wouldn’t make Keon Clark’s top 5.