Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Default Re: Who is the worst coach in NBA history?

No love for Mike Dunleavy?

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Mike Montgomery, Rick Pitino, Calipari, and Tim Floyd. All of these so called good college coaches that were terrible in the pros. Now their back in the college ranks cheating.

nba finals towel boy Kyle_korver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy2k8
    What was the motivation for bumping this 5 year old thread?!?
    NBA lockout

Wilt Chamberlain of course!

From 'LOOSE BALLS' by Terry Pluto...

Terry Pluto -

"Only the ABA would make Chamberlain a coach, and only one thing could make chamberlain coach the san diego conquistadors: money - $600,000 for one season. Chamberlain coached the Qs in 1973-74, although most people in the ABA would say that assistant Stan Albeck actually coached the team, since Chamberlain didn't make it to all of the games. Chamberlain was somewhat dedicated in the beginning as coach, usually showing up for practice. But as the season went on, Wilt wasn't exactly omnipresent."

Mike Storen -

"Of course, he didn't always show up for games. The team would be on a road trip and Wilt would decide that he wanted to go someplace else. This could have been a great opportunity for him and it certainly would have been something for the league, but Wilt never took coaching seriously. He basically hung around with Leonard Bloom all the time and then went to the bank."

Dave Craig -

"But when Wilt was around you knew it. Indiana had a fight with the Qs - Mel Daniels got into it with one of San Diego's guards. Mel was one of the biggest, strongest guys in the league, but Wilt went out on the floor and picked up Mel as if he were a toothpick. The Indiana bench started to come to the floor, but when the players saw Wilt grab Daniels, they decided it was best to go back to the bench. Nobody wanted to deal with Wilt."

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by oolalaa
    Wilt Chamberlain of course!

From 'LOOSE BALLS' by Terry Pluto...

Terry Pluto -

"Only the ABA would make Chamberlain a coach, and only one thing could make chamberlain coach the san diego conquistadors: money - $600,000 for one season. Chamberlain coached the Qs in 1973-74, although most people in the ABA would say that assistant Stan Albeck actually coached the team, since Chamberlain didn't make it to all of the games. Chamberlain was somewhat dedicated in the beginning as coach, usually showing up for practice. But as the season went on, Wilt wasn't exactly omnipresent."

Mike Storen -

"Of course, he didn't always show up for games. The team would be on a road trip and Wilt would decide that he wanted to go someplace else. This could have been a great opportunity for him and it certainly would have been something for the league, but Wilt never took coaching seriously. He basically hung around with Leonard Bloom all the time and then went to the bank."

Dave Craig -

[I]"But when Wilt was around you knew it. Indiana had a fight with the Qs - Mel Daniels got into it with one of San Diego's guards. Mel was one of the biggest, strongest guys in the league, but Wilt went out on the floor and picked up Mel as if he were a toothpick. The Indiana bench started to come to the floor, but when the players saw Wilt grab Daniels, they decided it was best to go back to the bench. Nobody wanted to deal with Wilt."[/I]

I know this topic is about coaching, and yes, Wilt had no desire to excel at it...but as a sidenote to the above... (and I am paraphrasing from the original which I am just too lazy to look up)...

The Q's were conducting a practice, and, as usual, Wilt was running late. During the practice, a ball got stuck high up in a guidewire. Player after player attempted to tip it down, including 6-11 "Jumpin" Caldwell Jones. None of them could get to it.

Chamberlain finally showed up, and in a suit and tie. He asked what was going on, and when he was informed what had happened, he bet the players that he could get it down. They put their money on the floor, andthe 37 year-old Wilt removed his dress shoes, took one leap, and easily tapped the ball down.

Kurt Rambis has to be up there.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    ML Carr gets my vote. Useless both as a player and a coach.
    ML Carr was a great role player. what the hell are you talking about?

Darryl Walker, and Jim clemons gets my vote for worst nba head coaches.

Local High School Star MasterDurant24's Avatar

Magic was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by MasterDurant24
    Magic was terrible.

Banned

It's a tie between Magic Johnson and Isiah Thomas.
    Phil Jackson is not the worst, but the most overrated.

nba finals towel boy Kyle_korver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the_wise_one
    It's a tie between Magic Johnson and Isiah Thomas.
    Phil Jackson is not the worst, but the most overrated.
    You can't be overrated with all those rings tho

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_korver
    You can't be overrated with all those rings tho
    Yes he is. Some even call him the GOAT coach.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Wade316
    Yes he is. Some even call him the GOAT coach.
    Did he won the 6 rings because he coached the GOAT or did the GOAT won the 6 rings because he was coached by Phil?

Quote Originally Posted by bokes15 View Post
    I'd say Kevin O'neal. And if the Raps don't make the playoffs this year, Sam Mitchell. I don't like a particular comment when he was asked about his coaching in which he said something like, (nobody is good in their first year. i'm new and i'm learning things, you don't begin as a great coach, you just do your best and get better every year). If that's the case, what about avery Johnson's first year. But w/e, i'll wait until the end of the year before i make that final judgment about him.

Also, I don't think that Doc Rivers is as bad as ppl are saying.

I was right on Doc Rivers for 20 years. Now people wake up. Why it took my entire life, I dunno.

Now it's undeniable. He's the worst long term cisco ever. So when I called for him to be Fired, use your eyes

Jim boylen