Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 01-17-2019, 12:02 PM   #931
Xiao Yao You
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: 2018-19 regular season. Time to live up to the hype!

https://hoopshabit.com/2019/01/16/ut...rade-deadline/

Quote:
One of the reasons we likely won’t see the Jazz make any moves around the deadline is because they are somewhat limited in the moves they can make based on the contractual situations of the players on the current roster.

many expiring deals.

Quote:
Another reason that it’s not likely we see a trade of large or semi-large magnitude taking place in Salt Lake City at the deadline is the salary breakdown and longevity the players on Utah currently hold. Other than Ricky Rubio, Thabo Sefolosha, Ekpe Udoh and Isaiah Cousins, every Jazz player’s contract is guaranteed through the 2019-20 season.

Cousins? Favors has team option. and Neto will be unrestricted. I think Niang and O'Neale are non guaranteed.

Quote:
Would Utah make a deal for a player who can help them win both right now and in the future with a lengthy contract with all of those multi-year deals still on the table? I don’t think it’s likely.

It's not likely because they don't like change
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:06 PM   #932
Xiao Yao You

https://hoopshabit.com/2019/01/16/ut...rade-deadline/

Quote:
3. Donovan Mitchell’s efficiency is trending upwards

that's a reason to trade

Quote:
2. Derrick Favors is too important to the team

Makes too much and plays too little and doesn't fit with Rudy.

Quote:
Put simply, Derrick Favors’ is this team’s starting power forward and its backup center. No other Jazz player can match Favors’ size and ability to soak up minutes at the 5 to give Rudy Gobert a rest.

Udoh is better defensively and makes a lot less money. Bradley needs a shot eventually. 18 million can be spent more wisely

Quote:
Favors is the most obvious candidate to be used for salary-matching purposes in any potential trade the Jazz could explore, but they need more production from their bench and Favors is one of the primary reasons Utah’s bench isn’t worse than it is.

But they are so deep!

Quote:
There’s a new rookie this year, but the remainder of the Jazz roster has been a part of the organization for at least a couple of years. That’s not common in today’s NBA. The Jazz just may be the team to break the mold, and it’s the biggest reason they should avoid a move at the trade deadline.

keeping the same roster led them to being mediocre
Old Yesterday, 01:08 AM   #933
Xiao Yao You

https://www.ksl.com/article/46470635...to-point-guard

I don't necessarily think he needs to move to the pg but he needs someone next to him that can play with and without the ball like Hill or Beverly or Neto. Exum and Rubio being left all alone in the corner won't do it.
Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM   #934
Xiao Yao You

https://www.slcdunk.com/2019/1/18/18...zz-may-sit-out

Quote:
Why make a trade when you can just sign a free agent?

Because over half the teams have cap space. Only so many free agents to go around

Quote:
The upcoming free agency market is filled with a lot of options for the Jazz. Making a trade ensures a prospect now, but you have to give up assets for it. If you can sign the right player this offseason, you don’t give up anything while being better established for the future.

But those so called assets might make the team better just by subtraction as Johnson and Hood did a year ago. Crowder was a bonus. Getting rid of Rubio, Exum and Favors could definitely make the team better . Than there is Neto, Thabo, Udoh and Niang who I think can help the team but COTY doesn't agree. Can't see the first 3 being back next year anyway so why not trade them now if you can get something you like in return?

Quote:
Free agency is always the wildcard that helps teams jump steps on the road to a championship because it means gaining players without the sacrifice of assets. It’s easily the best option for building a franchise quickly.

You give up cap space. The Jazz have never had much success with free agency so trades could be their best option actually.

Quote:
Utah has two legitimate stars in Rudy Gobert and Donovan Mitchell. If they can keep some of their high level role players while also signing a high level free agent, it’s a game changer because with a trade you lose the depth that takes you over the top.

Future star in Mitchell anyway. You an have depth or top level talent. Hard to have both. See GS

Quote:
Seeing Ricky Rubio and Dante Exum go down with injury is a good reminder how quickly depth becomes an issue for teams that have sacrificed their depth for a trade.

Shows me that those two are expendable

Quote:
If the Jazz sign a younger player that they’re looking to build alongside Mitchell and Gobert, that could mean punting the season, especially if that means losing an established veteran.

They already punted the season by standing pat and not going all in. Need to try to put the best team on the floor sooner than later. Gobert has two more years on his deal after this one. Time could be running out

Quote:
Names that some Jazz fans mention like Otto Porter or Aaron Gordon would be great options for the Jazz. However, the assets needed to get one of those players, along with the time it takes for them to learn the offense and build chemistry, almost assures the Jazz lose a few extra games through the rest of the season. Are Jazz fans okay not making the playoffs if it means a young, budding star?

Are you ok with missing the playoffs by living and dying with Ricky? I'm not. I'd just as soon miss the playoffs and feel better about the future

Quote:
As excited as the Sixers were to bring Jimmy Butler to their team, there’s trouble in the locker room that has a chance to change everything for them.

He made them a better team. Nice guys in the community is fine and all but this is a basketball team and a business not the peace corps

Quote:
Just before last Friday’s trade deadline, the ultra conservative franchise shipped rising star Ronnie Brewer to Memphis for a dubious first-round pick. The move was made in an effort to save money. Not to get better mind you—but to save some dinero ($2.7 million to be exact).

Rising star! He was a great fit. The Jazz are cheap. Always have been and the legacy trust hasn't changed that as they said it might

Quote:
Also, the risk of going into free agency and coming away empty handed is just as big as all the risks I’ve mentioned and free agency for Utah will always be an uphill climb. As they say, a bird in the hand is always better than two in the bush.

What will be even worse and the most likely scenario is picking up Favors option and giving Rubio a new deal.
Old Yesterday, 12:46 PM   #935
Xiao Yao You

https://www.slcdunk.com/2019/1/18/18...adline-history

Quote:
Ronnie Brewer was the 14th overall pick for the Jazz in the 2006 draft. Over the next 4 seasons he would play over 7,000 minutes, averaging 10.5 points, 3 rebounds, and 2 assists. The reason he makes the list is because he was the starting shooting guard during the DWill, Memo, AK, Boozer days. The Utah Jazz were over the cap in 2010, so Brewer was moved at the deadline to save some cash. I feel like this may have been the start of the end for Deron Williams, seeing the Jazz make a money saving move. The first round draft pick they got in return was later used to trade for Al Jefferson.

Ouch! Not only did they screw up that team it helped them get the black hole known as Al. Those were the darkest years.

Quote:
Enes Kanter may have said he only missed the mountains, but Utah probably didn’t miss anything about Kanter. After an unexpected trade request as the all star break started, the Jazz moved Kanter to the OKC Thunder for Steve Novak, Tibor Pleiss, Grant Jerrett, and Kendrick Perkins. Obviously none of those players really amounted to anything for the Jazz. The key here was opening up the starting center position for Rudy Gobert, which I think we can agree has worked out quite well. The Jazz later used the protected 1st round draft pick to bring in Ricky Rubio. For those wondering, that draft pick was the #20 in last year’s draft, which Minnesota used on Josh Okogie.

Jefferson and Rubio.

Quote:
For the long version of this historically great trade, look at an in depth breakdown here. The short version is that the Jazz took way too long putting more talent around John Stockton and Karl Malone. During the 1993-1994 season, they finally made a move by bringing in Jeff Hornaceck in exchange for Jeff Malone and a first round draft pick. The rest is history, as this iconic trio was on the brink of an NBA title throughout the remainder of the 90’s.

Should be #1. I'd have been happy if they'd cut Jeff Malone and they got Horny for him. Definitely waited too long and were still never all in

Quote:
I still remember where I was when I found out this trade had gone down. I was sitting in the ESLC on campus at Logan, Utah waiting for class to begin. I don’t think I listened to a single second of that lecture. After Jerry Sloan called it a career, the notoriously surly Deron Williams had apparently worn out his welcome. Michael wrote about some details from that night here. In a shocking move, the Jazz sent their all star point guard to the Nets in exchange for Derrick Favors, Devin Harris, and 2 first round draft picks. Utah used one of those picks on Enes Kanter and the other could have landed them Damian Lillard (taken 6th) except the Warriors intentionally blew some games to keep that top 7 protected pick (they selected Harrison Barnes 7th). Utah got the 21st pick in the following draft, which they packaged to move up and draft Trey Burke.

If they hadn't taken the 2nd offer on the table from the only team that knew he was available this might have been the best one. Harris, Kanter and Burke oh my
Old Yesterday, 12:49 PM   #936
Xiao Yao You

https://thejnotes.com/2019/01/17/uta...get-big-bucks/

With so many teams having money someone might definitely be stupid enough to throw big money at him
Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM   #937
Xiao Yao You

https://hoopshabit.com/2019/01/17/ut...bari-parker/4/

Quote:
The only tricky thing when it comes to trading for Parker is his $20 million contract. It would likely take a player and package centered around Derrick Favors, who is making $16.9 million this season, along with another player to make a deal work.

I'd think they might want Exum looking at their roster. Neto would make sense as well or maybe even Rubio.

I'd do it. Rent him for the year. If it works out great. If not you aren't losing anything other than expiring deals or Exum's contract
Old Yesterday, 01:10 PM   #938
Xiao Yao You

But as Burks preps for his first return to Salt Lake City since that emotional deal, he has the benefit of hindsight on his side. It’s allowed Burks to have a greater appreciation for Cleveland, as the rebuilding Cavaliers continue to give him a bigger platform. “I would say there’s more opportunity here, definitely,” Burks told cleveland.com. “I think it’s been great. Been up and down. Still going to be up and down I feel like just trying to find a rhythm. Only been like a month in. But it’s getting better and better. I’m adjusting more and more every day.” – via Cleveland Plain Dealer

In 25 games with the Cavs, including 16 starts, Burks is averaging 11.9 points — the most since 2015-16 — on 40.2 percent from the field and 39.8 percent from long range to go with 5.2 rebounds, 2.7 assists and some stingier-than-anticipated defense. “I’m extremely happy for him,” Hood said of Burks. “I think a lot of guys, particularly in Utah, know how talented he is, especially before he had some key injuries. He’s one of the most talented guys I’ve been around and played with. Just happy to see him healthy and getting the opportunity to show what he can do on both sides of the ball — being able to defend, finish, knock down shots. He can do pretty much everything out there on the court.” – via Cleveland Plain Dealer
Old Yesterday, 02:24 PM   #939
Xiao Yao You

Utah Jazz star Donovan Mitchell broke into the national spotlight during NBA All-Star Weekend in Los Angeles last year after winning the Slam Dunk contest. However, the second-year guard won’t be defending his crown at NBA All-Star Weekend in Charlotte this February at the Spectrum Center. Although he isn’t competing in the dunk contest, Deseret News sources say he hasn’t ruled out the Rising Stars Game on Friday, Feb. 15. – via Deseret News

“I loved doing the dunk contest last year and it was a ton of fun, but I also know it takes a lot of focus, practice and preparation,” Mitchell told the Deseret News. “Right now, my mind is really on helping my team make a deep run (in the) second half of the season. I’m excited though for the weekend, I’m going to be able to be a part of some great events.” – via Deseret News

Eric Walden: Alec Burks acknowledges “mixed emotions” coming back to SLC. Said there’s a certain amount of weirdness to staying in a hotel, going into the visitors locker room. pic.twitter.com/UBRZlBtOVQ – via Twitter tribjazz

Eric Walden: Rodney says he has a lot of good memories of his time in Utah. Also, he’s still “very tight” with other players on the Jazz, said he went out to dinner with Ekpe last night. pic.twitter.com/8EUtCWTyQx – via Twitter tribjazz

Eric Walden: Rodney said he’s looking forward to seeing some familiar faces tonight. Joked the only reason he hasn’t dunked on Rudy is cuz Rudy gets out of the way instead of jumping. More seriously, said he expects Rudy to be an All-Star this season. pic.twitter.com/MCfvlVmEXv – via Twitter tribjazz
Old Yesterday, 03:30 PM   #940
Xiao Yao You

Eric Woodyard: Rudy Gobert said it would be “big time” for the NBA to bring Global Games to France. He’s all for it. – via Twitter E_Woodyard
Old Yesterday, 05:07 PM   #941
Xiao Yao You

Eric Walden: Donovan, on why he’s skipping the Dunk Contest this year: “I remember last year when I came back from All-Star [weekend], I was tired. … We haven’t really taken off like we thought we would have, so … it would be better just to rest and mentally be focused for the second half.” pic.twitter.com/5H57wzjpNk – via Twitter tribjazz

Eric Walden: Rudy, on the importance of being an All-Star: “It’s something that I’ve always dreamed of. I want to be part of the best group of players in the world. I know there’s a lot of marketing, a lot of different factors that I can’t control. … It’s a big goal of mine.” pic.twitter.com/OyqdpvCqIh – via Twitter tribjazz
Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM   #942
Xiao Yao You

Quote:
Kevin O’Connor: *I think this may have been reported. But if it hasn’t: Cory Joseph was a guy they could be looking to move … They do like [Aaron] Holiday and he is somebody they get more playing time to.“ – via The Ringer

could be a fit
Old Yesterday, 09:33 PM   #943
Xiao Yao You

Ryan McDonald: Alec Burks just exchanged hugs with Dennis Lindsey and Justin Zanik in the hallway at The Viv. A minute later, Rodney Hood exchanged pleasantries with an usher. Both seem to be in good spirits being back in SLC – via Twitter ryanwmcdonald

Cayleigh Griffin: Coach Drew confirms Tristan Thompson is out tonight vs. Utah. #BeTheFight – via Twitter cayleighgriffin
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: