Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-25-2006, 09:38 PM   #16
Jalen5
Serious playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispbosh4
Mitchell is in love with Darrick Martin

I like Dmartin , he's done a nice job being 3rd string and being a teacher for some of the young raptors last year. A lot of good things about him.
Jalen5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 10:00 PM   #17
Gregsguys
Dunking on everybody in the park

I agree, keep D-Mart and get an experienced forward to teach the young forwards, should help us grow into a true contender. How about Alvin & Joey for Kurt Thomas??????
Gregsguys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:03 AM   #18
IL Mago
Saw a basketball once

we ain't gettin d mart, kurt thomas, roko or anyone else for that matter. after the fred jones and slokar signings we'll have 15 roster spots and we'll be set. don't worry about what slokar can do cus he aint getting minutes anyway.Hes strictly and insurance policy cuz pape got hurt. and don't rip roko because if he came over he would probably be playin for free because of the buyout in his contract and on top of that warmin the bench. let him stay in europe and develop, we got no use for him at this point
IL Mago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 12:39 AM   #19
Too_Cool
I rule the local playground

I hear Alvin may be waived...if so say hello to Darrick Martin.
Too_Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:08 AM   #20
Chrispbosh4
Not airballing my layups anymore

dont expect alvin to play again, i saw him last preseason in limited minutes, hes been good to toronto, but his time is up and hes gotta go.

When the draft was going on we definatly shoulda traded pick1 and alvin to the bobcats for pick 3 and brevin knight
Chrispbosh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:17 PM   #21
Too_Cool
I rule the local playground

Quote:
dont expect alvin to play again, i saw him last preseason in limited minutes, hes been good to toronto, but his time is up and hes gotta go.

When the draft was going on we definatly shoulda traded pick1 and alvin to the bobcats for pick 3 and brevin knight

Why would Colangelo do that if he had the T.J Ford trade in the works?
Too_Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:33 PM   #22
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey

If Roko comes over this season, I really don't see any time for him. I can see him as a 3rd string PG/SG (if he can play that).

My reasoning for that is because we got the returning Calderon, who is already used to the NBA style of play and at this point of his career, I only see him getting better.

If he's able to play SG (because of his height) he'll be behind Anthony Parker and Fred Jones.

He's also a rookie coming out of the euro league, which means he'll have to adopt into the NBA style of play which could take some time depending what kind of player you are.

Therefore, due to the depth of our bench and Roko's experience, I really don't see any time for him on our 2006-2007 roster. Maybe in 2007-2008 we can bring him over.
GoRapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:56 PM   #23
huppcap
Local High School Star

Quote:

And how do you know that this was a deal the Bobcats would make? In fact they said they were not willing to give up Knight.

Nor could the Raptors be 100% sure Bargnani would be left at #3.
huppcap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:59 PM   #24
huppcap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRapz
If Roko comes over this season, I really don't see any time for him. I can see him as a 3rd string PG/SG (if he can play that).

My reasoning for that is because we got the returning Calderon, who is already used to the NBA style of play and at this point of his career, I only see him getting better.

If he's able to play SG (because of his height) he'll be behind Anthony Parker and Fred Jones.

He's also a rookie coming out of the euro league, which means he'll have to adopt into the NBA style of play which could take some time depending what kind of player you are.

Therefore, due to the depth of our bench and Roko's experience, I really don't see any time for him on our 2006-2007 roster. Maybe in 2007-2008 we can bring him over.

Ukic recently as yesterday said he does not want to come over and sit on the bench. He would rather play a key role on a team and stay in Europe and make as much money or more than he could in the NBA. Sounds like he may not interested in coming over for several more years or never.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:00 PM   #25
Chrispbosh4
Not airballing my layups anymore

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by huppcap
And how do you know that this was a deal the Bobcats would make? In fact they said they were not willing to give up Knight.

Nor could the Raptors be 100% sure Bargnani would be left at #3.

i know that in the world of rumours and people "saying they wont trade a player" nothing is guarenteed. Tyrus was going to go to the bulls no matter what, bobcats were high on morrison since day one, and portland was desperate for aldrige. The raptors could have had bargs down the list for sure.

(ps colangelo said he was not willing to give up Cvill, and traded him 3 days later)
Chrispbosh4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:21 PM   #26
huppcap
Local High School Star

Quote:
i know that in the world of rumours and people "saying they wont trade a player" nothing is guarenteed. Tyrus was going to go to the bulls no matter what, bobcats were high on morrison since day one, and portland was desperate for aldrige. The raptors could have had bargs down the list for sure.

(ps colangelo said he was not willing to give up Cvill, and traded him 3 days later)

How do you know Tyrus was going to Chicago? Just because they said after the draft that is who they really wanted. Given different circumstances and parameters Chicago may have taken Bargnani. I heard Chicago was also high on Bargnani. You think Chicago is going to say we really wanted Bargnani but we accept Thomas. Just like Colangelo was going to say we are looking to find a PG and that would mean trading Charlie V.

In the end Thomas is not a bad player for them to have but if the Raptors traded #1 who is to say Bargnani would have been left at #3? #4? #5?
Old 07-26-2006, 05:24 PM   #27
RapsFan
Good college starter

I think once Jordan came abored, Brevin seemed to go off the market. Maybe he wants to keep him as their 6th man.

I agree that it would have been highly likely that Bargs would have been available down the line a bit, but I guess you never know. IT would have been nice to get him for less $$ but mostly less pressure of being #1 pick and first euro ever taken #1.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:38 PM   #28
GoRapz
Fire Dwane Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by huppcap
Ukic recently as yesterday said he does not want to come over and sit on the bench. He would rather play a key role on a team and stay in Europe and make as much money or more than he could in the NBA. Sounds like he may not interested in coming over for several more years or never.

He was a waste of a damn pick. This is why I personally don't like Euro's entering the draft. They can just go back to their euro team then the team that drafted them can get the player back in two years, or something with a buyout.

I'm simply tired of this guy now. He's spoiled, many people dream to one day be drafted and play in the NBA, he's taking advantage of this situation and being a jackass about it in the eyes of fans. He wants to start right away when dude has no experience playing at NBA level at all.

I say we package him in a deal and get rid of this dude ASAP.
GoRapz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 05:51 PM   #29
huppcap
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRapz
He was a waste of a damn pick. This is why I personally don't like Euro's entering the draft. They can just go back to their euro team then the team that drafted them can get the player back in two years, or something with a buyout.

I'm simply tired of this guy now. He's spoiled, many people dream to one day be drafted and play in the NBA, he's taking advantage of this situation and being a jackass about it in the eyes of fans. He wants to start right away when dude has no experience playing at NBA level at all.

I say we package him in a deal and get rid of this dude ASAP.

What could you get for him? Another 2nd round pick probably at best. He was projected to go in the 1st round but the Raptors got him as a steal in the 2nd.

I would say keep him. If the situation is right ie. Calderon is gone next year then he might be interested in coming next year to get introduced to the NBA game. He would have a better chance of getting playing time. Based on all the recent moves the Raptors made he probably has changed his mind. He is still young. The Raptors can still wait for 2 or 3 years at least for him to develop more. Besides if Mo Pete and Calderon for example are not re-signed then playing time for is freed up. He coudl also play some SG.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:22 PM   #30
the truth
...since 95

NO MORE NEW PLAYERS!!

Almost half my team in NBA 2K6 is now made up of created players that don’t look anything like the real McCoy. And it sucks that I have to hear the announcer say "what a dunk by number seven!", or "number fifteen just nailed a three!", I mean its ridiculous...Pape Sow, Jorge Garbajosa, Andrea Bargnani, PJ Tucker, Jose Calderon, Anthony Parker...and now Roko Ukic? No frikken way!

Seriously though, there's no room for him anyway. Besides, if I remember correctly his deal was structured in a way to allow him to ‘opt out’ after the second year, which would be this upcoming season. So lets worry about Roko next offseason. He's now functioning as an insurance policy if one of our backcourt players doesn’t pan out, likely Jose.

Last edited by the truth : 07-26-2006 at 09:25 PM.
the truth is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: