Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 09-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #1
bagelred
Stare

Default How Palin's selection helps Obama

When Sarah Palin was selected as McCain's VP selection, I had the same "WTF" reaction a lot of people had.

The analysis of her selection has been all over the map. Some thought this meant the end of McCain's campaign, almost to the point where they might actually REPLACE Palin on the ticket (Intrade actually had taken bets on this...).

Now we see Palin seemingly helping McCain, where some think this is the turnaround point that might get McCain elected.

Here's my take on this:

I think this helps Obama over next two months after the Palin hype dies down.

Why?

Before Palin's selection, the election was really about Obama. This election has ALWAYS been about Obama. We know John McCain, good and bad. We know Bush and Cheney have been AWFUL. We need CHANGE, right?

But do we trust Barack Obama?? THAT to me was the big question of the campaign. How well do we know him? He's the new kid on the block.

People are always afraid of the new, no matter what. Even if its better. But if the new simply hangs around long enough, the new isn't "new" anymore, and all of a sudden not so scary. If anything can "speed up" the fact that the new "isn't" new, people get comfortable fast.

Remember that first job out of college? You are the young guy. The new guy. People don't know you. You are working hard but still people are hesitant to trust. Sure time will help of course. But what makes people trust you faster? When someone NEWER comes along. When the next person is hired, all of a sudden you the EXPERIENCED one. People trust you more. People look at you as one of the group and not the new kid on the block anymore.

I think this is what just happened with Obama. Almost by default, Palin's presence onto the scene just made Obama "old hat". We know Obama. We've known him for years. But this Palin person is exciting, but can we trust HER????? We KNOW Obama, don't we?

I think as we get to the debates, as Obama goes head to head with McCain, and as we see this still UNKNOWN Palin debating with Biden and we still are learning about her, the comfort level of Obama just goes up automatically.......

......we know him.........

It's just a theory but I think Obama will eventually be helped by this selection. He ain't the new guy anymore.....
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
Mathius
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: How Palin's selection helps Obama

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
When Sarah Palin was selected as McCain's VP selection, I had the same "WTF" reaction a lot of people had.

The analysis of her selection has been all over the map. Some thought this meant the end of McCain's campaign, almost to the point where they might actually REPLACE Palin on the ticket (Intrade actually had taken bets on this...).

Now we see Palin seemingly helping McCain, where some think this is the turnaround point that might get McCain elected.

Here's my take on this:

I think this helps Obama over next two months after the Palin hype dies down.

Why?

Before Palin's selection, the election was really about Obama. This election has ALWAYS been about Obama. We know John McCain, good and bad. We know Bush and Cheney have been AWFUL. We need CHANGE, right?

But do we trust Barack Obama?? THAT to me was the big question of the campaign. How well do we know him? He's the new kid on the block.

People are always afraid of the new, no matter what. Even if its better. But if the new simply hangs around long enough, the new isn't "new" anymore, and all of a sudden not so scary. If anything can "speed up" the fact that the new "isn't" new, people get comfortable fast.

Remember that first job out of college? You are the young guy. The new guy. People don't know you. You are working hard but still people are hesitant to trust. Sure time will help of course. But what makes people trust you faster? When someone NEWER comes along. When the next person is hired, all of a sudden you the EXPERIENCED one. People trust you more. People look at you as one of the group and not the new kid on the block anymore.

I think this is what just happened with Obama. Almost by default, Palin's presence onto the scene just made Obama "old hat". We know Obama. We've known him for years. But this Palin person is exciting, but can we trust HER????? We KNOW Obama, don't we?

I think as we get to the debates, as Obama goes head to head with McCain, and as we see this still UNKNOWN Palin debating with Biden and we still are learning about her, the comfort level of Obama just goes up automatically.......

......we know him.........

It's just a theory but I think Obama will eventually be helped by this selection. He ain't the new guy anymore.....

Following this crap is a waste of time, but as I was ranting at a co-worker today about how pointless the election is, he said that McCain is going to be elected because he saw a study reading that 20% of the democratic voters were women and switched their vote when polled to McCain because of this chick.

Ironic part is, McCain is what? 73 years old? 72? Its extremely possible that he could die in office, and this b*tch could be our president.

Isn't there audio out there of her asking just what a vice president's job is? I swear I heard that on the radio?

EDIT: Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loUHRv3ipLE Yeah, she's real qualified.

I want to know why all these morons think she's hot? I don't see it. She's overweight, old, wrinkly, not hot. I don't care how much of a fetish you idiots have for those glasses or the thought of her letting her hair down.

I don't see it.

Mathius

Last edited by Mathius : 09-09-2008 at 09:17 PM.
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:31 PM   #3
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

All will be expose during the debates and the public interviews.

I can't believe that some Hillary voters are swicthing when this woman repersents everything Hillary was against. Real real real dumb.

All she did so far was deliver a good speech that was written for her by the Karl Rove bunch (I hate that f*cker)

But keep faith man..........Obama won a tough one against Hilary.....he will do the same aginst mcBush.

OBAMA 08!!!!!!!!!!!
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
SoCalMike
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

For all involved, this will be a roller coaster with ups and downs for each candidate, particularly under the microscope of blogs, message boards and the micromedia....

In November, you will wish it was all over already...

SoCalMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:53 PM   #5
bagelred
Stare

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalMike
For all involved, this will be a roller coaster with ups and downs for each candidate, particularly under the microscope of blogs, message boards and the micromedia....

In November, you will wish it was all over already...
:

I bet Obama wishes it was over in July. If the election was then, he would have won easily.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:34 AM   #6
artificial
:-P

well, as a reference, all americans seem to *********e to sarah palin
artificial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 01:48 AM   #7
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathius
Following this crap is a waste of time, but as I was ranting at a co-worker today about how pointless the election is, he said that McCain is going to be elected because he saw a study reading that 20% of the democratic voters were women and switched their vote when polled to McCain because of this chick.

Ironic part is, McCain is what? 73 years old? 72? Its extremely possible that he could die in office, and this b*tch could be our president.

Isn't there audio out there of her asking just what a vice president's job is? I swear I heard that on the radio?

EDIT: Here it is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loUHRv3ipLE Yeah, she's real qualified.

I want to know why all these morons think she's hot? I don't see it. She's overweight, old, wrinkly, not hot. I don't care how much of a fetish you idiots have for those glasses or the thought of her letting her hair down.

I don't see it.

Mathius
Any former Hillary supporter that votes for the McCain/Palin ticket has no brain. It is really that simple. Palin and Clinton couldn't be any more different.

As for her being hot, I can see it. I mean... I don't think she is fine, but for an older woman, she has a cuteness about her. She might be a little chubby, but she did just have a baby (allegedly).

Depending on the circumstance, I may or may not hit it. But, I'm a 29-year old in the prime of my sexual prowess. Imagine if you are some old bat that has been getting the same wrinkled snatch for the last 30 years... You would be slobbering over Palin.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:00 AM   #8
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
Any former Hillary supporter that votes for the McCain/Palin ticket has no brain. It is really that simple. Palin and Clinton couldn't be any more different.

And McCain knew that. And this is America, we're generally pretty damned retarded. Whomever really does switch to McCain from Clinton was only voting for her because she was a woman and knew nothing about her. I'd like to see Clinton do an inteview letting former supporters know that she and Palin are on completely different ends of the spectrum, but she won't since that'd help get Obama elected.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:21 AM   #9
LakersDynasty
Good college starter

This is so frustrating to watch. I just watched a segment about Palin snatching away white women voters from Obama. When the reporter asked the woman why she's voting for Palin she said "Because she's a woman, and she's a mother with a large family." That's her fucking reason for voting for Palin, because she's a woman and a mother, nothing more, nothing less, and this is the kind of people that will go into the boots and submit their votes. We are doomed. I said it before and I'll say it again. The people who help elect the GOP ticket deserve whatever is coming to them, that's the price you should pay for down right stupidity and ignorance, too bad we ALL have to suffer in the process.
LakersDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 04:26 AM   #10
gigantes
Tor Johnson.

nice point, bagelrod.

but another negative side to this is that unnecessary distraction (via palin) has been created which hurts obama. why? because obama needs to be accomplish more than just no longer being considered 'new'. he needs to be in front of independent voters as much as possible in order to show them how truly legit he is. because these people, sometime before election day, need to be convinced. therefore confusion, static and fakeouts like the palin nomination delay that.

the o'reilly interview that someone posted yesterday is a great example of what obama needs IMO. doesn't really matter if an obnoxious windbag like o'reilly is grilling him- his intelligence, articulation and decency shine through IMO.

other things i'm really hoping will help obama is his far superior ability to fundraise and his larger campaign network.
gigantes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 09:30 PM   #11
LakersDynasty
Good college starter

LakersDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: