Page 136 of 153 FirstFirst ... 3686126133134135136137138139146 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,040 of 2288

Default Re: Illinois basketball fans

Quote Originally Posted by bootsy
    One little minor spurt at the end of the season and Michigan fan thinks they are back. Still a lot to prove especially when you won't be sneaking up on teams anymore. Don't get too excited by the little that you accomplished last season.
    lol... yeah.

The Illini are likely to be the best team in the Big Ten next year, even without Richmond. Just to let you guys all know.

-Smak

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    lol... yeah.

The Illini are likely to be the best team in the Big Ten next year, even without Richmond. Just to let you guys all know.

-Smak
    I wouldn't go that far. We really don't know what we have next year..though they do have the potential to be a very good team.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniFan
    I wouldn't go that far. We really don't know what we have next year..though they do have the potential to be a very good team.
    Oh I think we do... except for one two key things. ONE Richmond was a big piece. A lot of people don't realize how good he was and how much he impacted the game.

And two... we have no ball handler, but we do have the ability to move the ball up the court. So it's not going to be a ball handling issue, but it will be an issue of who is our primary decision maker. However, when we had Luther, Dee, and Deron they were all kind of switching off depending, and that's how our offense is built.

Unless the PG thing really destroys our team, I really think it's more than just potential. You can wonder how people will fit in, but when you bring in pieces that are supposed to fit, it makes it less likely that it won't work.

Plus everyone else either lost a lot or isn't in contention. Michigan might be a good team, too, obviously Ohio State is good, but I think they might have lost too much even though I love Sullinger and they've got a beast recruiting class coming in. They won't be able to fill the holes of Lauderdale, Lighty, and Diebler enough to be truly elite, I think. But I could be wrong.

And you guys will finally realize how much our Sr class, especially McCamey, were stunting our development.

-Smak

We are fine at pg with Sam M. and Tracy Abrams so I'm not sure where you're getting this lack of ball handlers thing.

Decent college freshman

Quote Originally Posted by bootsy
    One little minor spurt at the end of the season and Michigan fan thinks they are back. Still a lot to prove especially when you won't be sneaking up on teams anymore. Don't get too excited by the little that you accomplished last season.
    It was more about Illinois fans thinking they were so much better that they shouldn't even be compared to Michigan in the same sentence.

We ain't going nowhere though anyways, with or without Morris.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniFan
    We are fine at pg with Sam M. and Tracy Abrams so I'm not sure where you're getting this lack of ball handlers thing.
    I mean we don't have a primary ball handler; that's something that will need to establish. Just like we will have no leader. That doesn't mean we don't have people capable of doing it, but will there be conflict as to who does what... was my point.

-Smak

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by Nastradamus
    It was more about Illinois fans thinking they were so much better that they shouldn't even be compared to Michigan in the same sentence.

We ain't going nowhere though anyways, with or without Morris.
    You aren't going anywhere with him either. You finished 9-9. WOW. This same thing happened after the 09 season. You finished the season strong by beating a bunch of nobodies, won a tourney game, came close in the 2nd game and bring everyone back(in that case Harris and Sims) and now Michigan is going to vault to the top of the Big 10 the next season. No I don't think so. Instead you finished under .500. Michigan really didn't do anything special and they didn't beat any of the top 3 teams in the conference. Finishing 9-9 is not anything to brag about. So now since you "almost" beat Duke who proved they weren't that great to begin with you will be better or one of the teams to beat. Beilein (and Michigan for that matter) seems to always do this with his teams. They come on and surprise people but he isn't really good when being the front runner. I don't see that being any different.
    Last edited by bootsy; 04-15-2011 at 10:39 AM.

I'm still thinking about Jereme...

I really liked him and it sucks to see him go. A lot of people have said he was our best player, and I don't agree. I still think Brandon Paul is our best player and we somehow need to find a way to get him touches in the offense like McCamey got but from the SG spot.

Brandon Paul can get his at any time. Some times he'll throw up an air ball, though, so I wonder if that's just his confidence. But this is his year. I really look for him to come out and dominate. When I first saw him play in high school he was a stud... and he's still a stud. I think he might have lost some confidence... maybe because of Bruce, but I don't know.

That's the good thing about Jereme is he was immune to every outside voice and he just balled. That's rare in a college player.

-Smak

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Ron Guenther retired today.

ESPN reports:

Illinois athletic director Ron Guenther announced Monday that he will retire from his post when his contract expires June 30.

Guenther is the Big Ten's longest-tenured athletic director, serving in the role for the past 19 years. He said in a statement that he has been working with chancellor Robert Easter on a succession plan.

A search committee has been formed, and Guenther expects his successor to be named by the end of the summer.

"The last 19 years have gone extremely fast and a decision to retire has been very difficult," Guenther said in a prepared statement. "I personally want to thank all the members of the [department of intercollegiate athletics] as well as our colleagues in the academic community for their support. I have been fortunate to work with an extremely talented and loyal group. I will always be indebted. Additionally, the Illinois fan base is the best in the nation. I've always said we are fortunate to have individuals who have great passion and loyalty for the University of Illinois."
    Last edited by insidehoops; 05-16-2011 at 03:53 PM.

Sixers|Eagles|Phillies StateProperty's Avatar

Probably a good decision for him considering the lockout, but I have no doubt in my mind that he is good enough to play in the league. Wouldn't be surprised to see him on a team in a couple years.

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease

Quote Originally Posted by wang4three
    This looks really bad and most likely jail time. I really had high hopes for JR even though he didn't get drafted but that is gone for now.

I still want to root for Jereme. I still root for Jamar Smith and it seems like he's turned his life around. Jereme just needs an attitude check, can't always be acting on his emotions. He's still only 19, so hopefully he starts maturing.

iWANNAgoHIGHER. emsteez forreal's Avatar

pretty sure i told everyone i'm from waukegan, and pretty much everyone in waukegan saw jereme turning out this way.