Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default NBA 2K13 'ASSOCIATION MODE' Discussion

I can't be the only one that spends the vast majority of their 2k-time running Associations, either short- or long-term.... so lets have a thread dedicated to sharing their past/current associations, plans for future associations, or simply general discussion on what I consider to be the most valuable and replayable feature of the NBA 2k series.

--------------------------------------------------------------

I chose the T-Wolves to be my first Association team of NBA 2k13, due to their established pieces, cap flexibility, and personal rooting interest because of hailing from Minnesota myself.

Early moves:

- Drop J.J. Barea's $5+ million contract in a salary dump with Portland for a future 2nd rounder

- Decided to trade Kirilenko and his $20mil/2 year contract for a future 2nd rounder.... and sign Terrence Williams to a roughly 4-year $20 million. Basically swapped out for a younger player at half the cost with more potential.

- Signed Sherron Collins as a 3rd point guard for 4 years $4.6 million.... I did this in pretty much every association in 2k12. He's young, fits the role, and is pretty decent when you get him on the court in limited minutes.

- Signed Anthony Tolliver as a 5th big for one-year, $650k. Again, solid bench player that is decently playable in the game.

PG: Ricky Rubio - Luke Ridnour - Sherron Collins
    SG: Brandon Roy - Malcom Lee
    SF: Terrence Williams - Chase Budinger - Dante Cunningham
    PF: Kevin Love - Derrick Williams
    C: Nikola Pekovic - Greg Stiemsma - Desagna Diop

Moving forward I will be developing Rubio's shooting, Malcom Lee's offensive game, and the overall games of Terrence Williams and Derrick Williams.

By the end of the season, I will likely trade Pekovic so as to not have to break the bank extending his contract and to possibly lose him in unrestricted free agency next summer. I also might trade Roy while his value is high for either a 1st rounder or a young big... as long as T-Will can move to SG and D-Will can enter the starting lineup as a SF.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: NBA 2k13 'Association Mode' Discussion

2k12 i was probably 90% playing assoc

going to wait until rosters update and things of that nature until i get into it this game, i think. i plan on doing a project here in the vgf (i did one with 2k11 with the hornets but gave up) where i do write ups and things of that nature.

there are so many good teams to play around with this year, im really excited to get into this mode. sad they spent a bunch of time on my career and my team because i think association is much better. i did sim through an assoc and noted there was much less player trading throughout the season, something i hated last year. i think i'll actually leave cpu trades on.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Maniak
    i did sim through an assoc and noted there was much less player trading throughout the season, something i hated last year. i think i'll actually leave cpu trades on.
    This is one of the first things I did when I got the new game..... and I agree there were less trades, and no seriously bone-headed trades, than 2k12 had.

The season shook out pretty much as expected other than the fact that the Suns not only traded Luis Scola and Marcin Gortat.... but they ended up being the 7 seed.

I'll join this after the roster update.

Right now I'm deciding between Toronto, Detroit, or Washington.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
    I'll join this after the roster update.

Right now I'm deciding between Toronto, Detroit, or Washington.
    Personally, unless its a sure-fire 2nd-round play off team I prefer to do the rebuild-around-youth route for a new association.

Washington always seems like a good start to the association but when I do the Wizards, Wall never seems to turn into anything resembling a true superstar. Especially now that the Wizards traded for the veteran frontcourt, it just doesn't seem like it would be that much fun.

I'd recommend the Pistons.... as it would be fun developing the Monroe/Drummond frontcourt, and the PG is set with Knight so really all they need is to develop their depth, and either draft or sign a superstar-quality wing that can create and shoot.

3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: NBA 2K13 'ASSOCIATION MODE' Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by BankShot

Minnesota Timberwolves

SF: Terrence Williams - Chase Budinger - Dante Cunningham
    PF: Kevin Love - Derrick Williams
    C: Nikola Pekovic - Greg Stiemsma - Desagna Diop
    - Signed Earl Clark as a benchwarmer for 4yr/$4.85m

- Chase Budinger and two 2nd round picks for Perry Jones and the Thunder's 1st rounder in 2014

- Greg Stemsma and the Thunder's 1st rounder in 2014 for Andre Drummond

So basically I traded Budinger, Steimsma, and two 2nd rounders for Perry Jones and Andre Drummond. Both are 60s, but are young and extremely potential-laden.

SF: Terrence Williams - Earl Clark
    PF: Kevin Love - Derrick Williams - Perry Jones
    C: Nikola Pekovic - Andre Drummond

Future D1 Dad

past 2k games would change your own set roster in association (ex: mayo a starter instead of 6th man). did they finally change that or does the computer still put who it wants as starters?

Association mode? Whats that?

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by jbot
    past 2k games would change your own set roster in association (ex: mayo a starter instead of 6th man). did they finally change that or does the computer still put who it wants as starters?
    Are we talking about the user-controlled team, or the rest of the league controlled by CPU???

The user has the option of controlling the player-role and playing-time for each player on his/her roster, or automating it so that the CPU makes decisions regarding PT.

As for the automated option, the CPU generally just chooses the player that has the highest overall rating for determining player roles on a given team. Players like O.J. Mayo, Manu Ginobli, and James Harden, are all given starting roles due to their superior player ratings relative to that of their respective counterpart.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    Its the game mode with which I probably spend 99+% of my 2k-time playing over the course of a given year/season.

In 2k12 I tried the My Player mode, and spend a fair amount of time working and improving my player. I eventually was a starting PG for the Atlanta Hawks and was making my way towards a serious ROY bid. With that being said, it eventually got boring and repetitive and it was frustrating that one couldn't simulate the games while still receiving improvement points.

3-time NBA All-Star

- Signed Earl Clark as a benchwarmer for 4yr/$4.85m

- Chase Budinger and two 2nd round picks for Perry Jones and the Thunder's 1st rounder in 2014

- Greg Stemsma and the Thunder's 1st rounder in 2014 for Andre Drummond

So basically I traded Budinger, Steimsma, and two 2nd rounders for Perry Jones and Andre Drummond. Both are 60s, but are young and extremely potential-laden.

SF: Terrence Williams - Earl Clark
    PF: Kevin Love - Derrick Williams - Perry Jones
    C: Nikola Pekovic - Andre Drummond
    Negged for this??? Someone is sadly super-butt-hurt.

Future D1 Dad

As for the automated option, the CPU generally just chooses the player that has the highest overall rating for determining player roles on a given team. Players like O.J. Mayo, Manu Ginobli, and James Harden, are all given starting roles due to their superior player ratings relative to that of their respective counterpart.
    that keeps me from buying this game then. i can't stand how the computer decides to put who it wants as starters even though i set it otherwise. stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    The best mode in 2K.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    The best mode in 2K.
    My Career?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWINdyCity
    My Career?
    No.