Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow OGT Mar 20: Raptors (41-27) @ Bulls (41-28)

Game Preview: http://www.nba.com/games/20150320/TO...fo.html?ls=slt

The Toronto Raptors have pulled themselves out of a rough defensive stretch, though they may now be without their point guard.

Kyle Lowry's status is unclear for Friday night's road game against the Chicago Bulls, who hope Nikola Mirotic can continue his surge.

The Raptors (41-27) have won three of four following a 1-9 stretch, limiting teams to 96.7 points per game in the last three victories. They had allowed an average of 109.6 in their previous seven contests.

DeMar DeRozan scored 21 despite going 4 for 14 in a 105-100 win over Minnesota on Wednesday, hitting all 12 of his free throws and adding seven rebounds and four assists.

"You're going to have nights when your shots don't fall," coach Dwane Casey said. "DeMar got to the free-throw line, he was rebounding ... You're going to have nights like that where your shot's not going to fall but you've got to do other things to help create a win."

Lowry, averaging a career-high 18.1 points and a team-best 6.9 assists, left late with a back contusion.

"One of those things where he hit the floor and tweaked his back," Casey said.

Toronto dropped two of three without Lowry from Feb. 28-March 4, allowing opponents shoot 49.4 percent. Greivis Vasquez started in his place and averaged 10.7 points and 8.0 assists with only five turnovers, shooting 43.8 percent from 3-point range.

Jonas Valanciunas has scored at least 14 points in three straight games for the first time this season after missing last Friday's 102-92 win over Miami for the birth of his child. He also has 36 rebounds over his last three games, grabbing 15 against the Timberwolves despite being ill.

"I thought he battled," Casey said. "I hope he gets sick all the time if he plays that way. He really rebounded well."

Chicago (41-28) has won two of its last seven, though it's coming off a 103-86 victory over Indiana on Wednesday.

Mirotic scored 25 and continues to see an increase in minutes with Taj Gibson missing all 10 games this month with a sprained ankle. Mirotic has averaged 20.8 points and 8.2 rebounds in 32.1 minutes in those 10 contests compared to 7.2 and 4.3 in 17.1 previously.

The rookie forward may have earned himself a bigger role even when Gibson returns.

"Once we get everyone back -- and hopefully we stay healthy -- the coaching staff has to figure how to make sure they take advantage of the players that are playing at a high level now," said forward Pau Gasol, who had 19 points and 12 rebounds against the Pacers for his 45th double-double, extending his career high.

"It's great to see young players prove their value and prove their talent and help us get wins."

The Bulls are still without leading scorer Jimmy Butler (20.2 ppg), who has missed the last nine contests with a sprained left elbow. Butler and Gibson have resumed practicing and could return this week.

"Both are coming along well," coach Tom Thibodeau said. "They're getting closer, they're going through practice fully, contact and everything, so hopefully it'll be soon."

Butler totaled 48 points to help Chicago win the first two meetings, 100-93 at Toronto on Nov. 13 and 129-120 at home Dec. 22. The Bulls shot a combined 51.0 percent.

Default Re: OGT Mar 20: Raptors (41-27) @ Bulls (41-28)

Turnovers and Ross losing his man twice on the same play. Ugh..

I hope Casey finally decides to play James Johnson tonight.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Turnovers and Ross losing his man twice on the same play. Ugh..

I hope Casey finally decides to play James Johnson tonight.
    Losing 34 year old Mike Dunleavy twice. I know he's a crafty veteran but there's no excuse for Ross on that.

NBA lottery pick

Even the Bulls announcers mention how the raps tend to ignore Val in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfro
    Losing 34 year old Mike Dunleavy twice. I know he's a crafty veteran but there's no excuse for Ross on that.
    Ross has been losing his man all season.

He's also been getting blown by and out run by 35+ year olds this season.

National High School Star beastee's Avatar

Nikola looking all-nba first team off the bench. dropping 10 off the bench with ease. Dude is a stud.

Now DeMar can't stay with his man.

Horrific perimeter defense.

Now DeMar can't stay with his man.

Horrific perimeter defense.
    Yeah. Bulls really seem to have Toronto's number. I thought Raptors could defend better. Bulls are missing their 2 best pure scorers, but still getting easy baskets.

NBA lottery pick

Don't see how that's a foul on JV.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by beastee
    Yeah. Bulls really seem to have Toronto's number. I thought Raptors could defend better. Bulls are missing their 2 best pure scorers, but still getting easy baskets.
    Not this year, Raptors defense has fallen off a cliff.

Not this year, Raptors defense has fallen off a cliff.
    24th in defense overall. It all went down a cliff when DeMar went down with his injury. They were ranked 9th before that. They were 27th overall when he missed time.

Niko doing it at both the 3 & 4 tonight.

24th in defense overall. It all went down a cliff when DeMar went down with his injury. They were ranked 9th before that. They were 27th overall when he missed time.
    Ouch. I watch them when I can, but I didn't realize it got that bad.

NBA lottery pick

Ross.

Ross.
    yeah. his defense has been abysmal tonight. Bulls will take it.