Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default How is Allen Iverson More Selfish Than Kobe?

Every mention of Iverson is that he needs a team with players who don't have score first mentalities but instead are role players

But for Kobe there's no certain teammates he needs and he can succeed with score 1st players like Pau & Bynum.

Maybe I don't focus enough on Kobe as many of the Laker goofs do but Kobe plays more selfishly than Allen Iverson when it comes to forcing shots and taking contested shots.

People think that because Iverson went to the Finals with a bunch of role players then it means that Iverson can't win without role players and I don't believe that.

Then when LeBron is mentioned its said he needs another scorer yet he went to the NBA Finals with a cast of role players.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Default Re: How is Allen Iverson More Selfish Than Kobe?

Kobe plays more selfishly than Allen Iverson when it comes to forcing shots and taking contested shots.
    I'd argue that unlike AI, Kobe has a better chance of making those shots. How many 3's does AI throw up even though he's not very effective out there? He throws up a lot more prayers than Kobe.

National High School Star

Iverson dominates the ball a lot more than Kobe. Also, AI doesnt trust his teammates thats why he keeps jacking up shots. Unlike Kobe. And Kobe's a much better shooter.

Wouldn't say Kobe trusts his teammates that much.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
    AI doesnt make his teammates better compared to Kobe.

If you think Kobe doesn't trust his teammates that much, you clearly didn't watch the Lakers play last season...probably basing your statement on what you hear from others.

College superstar

he doesn't like sharing his skittles

Kobe Bryant barely took as many shots in the first quater of many games this season to get his teammates involved early, and if that's not unselfish I don't know what is.

What did Iverson do to help his teammates this season? take Carmelo out to a club and let his girl lap dance all over Melo?

NBA lottery pick

Maybe I don't focus enough on Kobe as many of the Laker goofs do but Kobe plays more selfishly than Allen Iverson when it comes to forcing shots and taking contested shots.

Right and how many shots did Iverson take in the First round of 2008 playoffs?

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Interminator
    Every mention of Iverson is that he needs a team with players who don't have score first mentalities but instead are role players

But for Kobe there's no certain teammates he needs and he can succeed with score 1st players like Pau & Bynum.

People think that because Iverson went to the Finals with a bunch of role players then it means that Iverson can't win without role players and I don't believe that.

Then when LeBron is mentioned its said he needs another scorer yet he went to the NBA Finals with a cast of role players.

I dont think most of us on ISH believes Iverson to be selfish.

Well, generally, most undersized shoot-first, ball dominating guards are bad news for team success because that's not a good formula for winning basketball. But Iverson's heart, determination and will somehow allows him to break the mold... to a certain extent. He's more valuable than a Arenas or a Marbury because of that.

But the fact sitll remains his game is nearly impossible to build around.

Kobe is definitely more "selfish" than Iverson. But Kobe's game doesn't require him to dominate the ball as much. Kobe has a post game--which can result in doubles and him kicking it out to open shooter. Because of Kobe's superior physical gifts (mainly height), he is allowed to be a more efficient player and do things Iverson can never do. That's just fact. It's unfair, because if Iverson was taller, then perhaps he too, can change his game to be more efficient. But he's not taller he will never develope the efficiency that taller wing players--if playing the game wisely--can develop in their games.
    Last edited by EricForman; 09-21-2008 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EricForman
    I dont think most of us on ISH believes Iverson to be selfish.

Well, generally, most undersized shoot-first, ball dominating guards are bad news for team success because that's not a good formula for winning basketball. But Iverson's heart, determination and will somehow allows him to break the mold... to a certain extent. He's more valuable than a Arenas or a Marbury because of that.

But the fact sitll remains his game is nearly impossible to build around.

Kobe is definitely more "selfish" than Iverson. But Kobe's game doesn't require him to dominant the ball as much. Kobe has a post game--which can result in doubles and him kicking it out to open shooter. Because of Kobe's superior skills and height, it allows him to be a more efficient player and do things Iverson can never do. That's just fact. It's unfair, because if Iverson was taller, then perhaps he too, can change his game to be more efficient. But he's not taller he will never develope the efficiency that taller wing players--if playing the game wisely--can develop in their games.
    AI is my favorite player ever and I completely agree with this post.

well kobe has times has the tendensy to be too unselfish and causing his team to trail.

AI doesnt make his teammates better compared to Kobe.
    Not a Kobe strong suit either.

If you think Kobe doesn't trust his teammates that much, you clearly didn't watch the Lakers play last season
    I lived in China. He was probably on more than Yao and Yi. He was better last year but I'd hardly call him a team player. Be interesting to see him try that game on in Europe that's for sure.

He's more valuable than a Arenas or a Marbury because of that.
    Think Arenas could be a lot more valuable for the Wizards if he gets healthy again. They were one shot from beating the Cavs in the playoffs three years ago and were having an even better year two years ago before he and Caron went down. Their offense and the other ball handlers around him fits his game too.

kobe has times has the tendensy to be too unselfish
    When pre-season? Lakers would have won at least 4 straight titles if not for his selfish play.

NBA lottery pick

When pre-season? Lakers would have won at least 4 straight titles if not for his selfish play.
    I disagree with this part. Lakers lost to the better team in 03...which was defintely the spurs. Can't just blame Kobe for that series.

Its better to not say anything if you don't know what you're talking about You're one of those posters, probably watched Kobe in the finals this year and made up your mind about how selfish he was all season