Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    NBA All-star

Default Re: obamacare opinions

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    About 3 or 4 years ago I went to bed healthy. Woke up with a 105 degree fever and wound up in the hospital for 5 days. Would have been 25 grand without insurance.

So when you need it, you understand why it costs.
    I suppose I just prefer to focus on the supply side of it all at the moment

since trying to deal with the demand side of it all
    means price points in which doesn't reflect the true value of the product and services

as when staying overnight at the hospital is at the cost immeasurable to even a stay at the most luxurious hotel

I suspect we are not there yet

코비=GOAT

It was a step in the wrong direction imo
    First, the mandate is a tax. The SCOTUS ruled on this already. The mandate stood because it functioned as a tax. You either buy health insurance or you pay a tax penalty.
    The ACA eliminates the competition of a government run health insurance company competing with private health insurance. The government is forcing the "public option" through mandating purchase of insurance from private HMO's. Health insurance companies had a vested interest in the passing of the ACA; it meant guaranteed profits and a 5000 page ACA bill full of regulation to understand and adhere to that limits entry into the market. The passing of the ACA created a government supported oligopoly.
    The step in the right direction would be a multipayer system. A government run health insurance system competing with private hmo's would drive up quality and lower premiums.
    Last edited by shlver; 11-19-2014 at 04:33 AM.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

It sucks.

Banned

The McKinsey study (PDF) has some very interesting (and mostly positive) things to say about "Obamacare".

[QUOTE]Key Study On Obamacare 2015 Premium Rates Is Out And You Won't Believe What's Going To Happen

While political slanting continues to dominate the public

Quote Originally Posted by Take Your Lumps
    The McKinsey study (PDF) has some very interesting (and mostly positive) things to say about "Obamacare".
    The Kaiser Foundation is also a good place to get info on prices.

http://kff.org/health-reform/issue-b...-marketplaces/

the basic story is prices are going down in some markets and not in others.

Another story is if you enrolled last year, you should still do some shopping this year as you may find a better deal.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/15/up...abt=0002&abg=1

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    It's pretty much get kinda fvked or get really fvked

Both suck
    That's the point of insurance. If you're never ever ever ever going to get in a car accident or get sick, you wouldn't need insurance. However, you can't guarantee that.

At least with health insurance it also pays for care that prevents you from getting worse. Car insurance doesn't pay for maintenance.

So you got to weigh the "I can visit the doctor regularly" and stay healthy aspect in when you are weighing the kinda fvked option.

There's also straight up benefits to being able to vist a doctor and the regular and do it cheaply.

Macho Man see my link about shopping again this year above.
    Last edited by KevinNYC; 11-19-2014 at 11:32 AM.