Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #61
DeronMillsap
Banned

Default Re: if rose wins mvp i will stop caring about MVP....

OP, do us all a favor and hang a rope around your neck and kill yourself.
DeronMillsap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:22 AM   #62
Nash
Very good NBA starter

Thing is, they shouldn't give this award to the most important player, they should give it to the best player. The best player in this case is Lebron, Howard or Wade.. Not Rose. There should be two seperate award cuz these days they just give the award to the player who's doing the best with the worst supporting cast. Lebron is better than Rose in almost every way, rebounding, shooting, scoring, blocking, defense, playmaking. They should have an award for the "Worlds best player" just like they having in soccer for example.
Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:26 AM   #63
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:28 AM   #64
pauk
NBA Legend

pauk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:20 PM   #65
G.O.A.T
Scott Hastings Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
But what makes that tough is that IMO, if it's the 2004-2005 season MVP or 2005-2006 MVP, what should matter is that season. And Nash got as far in 2005 as the other main candidate(O'Neal) or any other serious candidate that year. Obviously he got farther in the playoffs than Kobe or Lebron in 2006 as well, though not as far as Dirk.

I was one of those in 2005(probably in large part due to bias) who said Shaq was robbed. I was also kind of caught off guard by Nash's season because I thought of him as one of the better point guards in Dallas, but never an elite player and obviously not the Mav's best player during those years so Nash as MVP was very weird to me at first. But considering that the Suns won because of their offense, the level Nash played at, how crucial he was to their offense(and as a result, their success) as well as the lack of a guy in either year who put together an MVP campaign without major holes, I have no problem with him winning it either season.

Actually, by the traditional criteria, I'd say that Dirk had the best case in 2005 or 2006, I'm not saying I'd necessarily pick him, but 26-27 ppg, 9-10 rpg, 58-60 wins and nobody close to his level on his team both years.

It looks strange if you look at history and see three top 10 players with 1 MVP(Shaq, Kobe, Hakeem) and then Nash with 2, but I don't believe in keeping that in mind when choosing the MVP. Just my opinion anyway.

That's a very sound argument, I certainly see where you're coming from.

However, here's how I feel about it five and six years removed.

A few things to illuminate my perspective.

To me an MVP is the player who during the regular season does the best job putting his team in a position to win the title.

I also consider who had the best individual season and who I believe means the most to their team.

I am adamant about the Shaq in '05 outcome. At the end of that season I thought it was literally a lock. A didn't even consider Nash a factor, because like you I didn't believe he was yet among the elite players. I thought he'd be a guy on everyone's ballot somewhere between third and fifth. My thinking was, well, we know he's not as good as Dirk and Dirk has had just as good a year and the Mavericks got considerably better despite losing three all-star level players in their prime. So I thought, Dirk for sure is above Nash, and then I thought about the Mavericks and the Heat and as a Piston fan, the defending champs then, which team I feared more. It was Miami without a doubt. The thought of Shaq on a team with a sidekick that understood when to get him the ball was scary.Wade was like having '00 Kobe again and the role players, while unproven, didn't give up a ton in terms of talent to their Laker counterparts. I also feared the Spurs and Tim Duncan more than I did the Suns or Mavs even though he wasn't getting a lot of MVP buzz because his numbers had slipped a bit, I usually don't pay much attention to that though. So I had it 1)Shaq 2) Duncan 3) Dirk 4) Nash 5) Garnett (best individual player)

In '06, I admit, Dirk and Nash have the strongest case, even by the objective portion of my own criteria. However, I still think my selection of Kobe Bryant then would be my selection now. I passed Kobe over the likes of Nash and Dirk because I didn't believe they gave their teams a chance to win a title, ever. What good are 60 win regular seasons if you don't have a chance at the ring? The Spurs, who felt would win the west, felt more like a big three that season than ever, I just felt like Duncan was no longer an elite player at this point. Still very good, but no longer in the conversation for best in the game. Billups got some talk for my Pistons, but that was sort of silly, of course, I wouldn't have traded him for Steve Nash then so maybe not. I went back and forth on Wad/Shaq a lot as to who meant more to the Heat. Shaq couldn't win it because he missed too much time and he was showing some age for sure. With the Heat having an improved roster and winning less games, I sort of counted both of them and the Heat out...oops. So for me it came down to LeBron and Kobe, which is strange because I didn't think either of their teams could win it this year, but I thought both played at the type of level where their teams would be instant contenders with just solid pieces around them. Unlike Wade and Shaq they weren't reliant on each other to convince me of that. Unlike Duncan, they were both clearly in the conversation for best player in the league. Unlike Nash and Dirk, I wouldn't be surprised to see them in the finals or win a title someday soon playing at the same level. In the end, I thought Kobe had the slightly better individual season and that his clutch play was superior so I went with him. My ballot was as follows 1) Kobe 2) LeBron 3) Dirk 4) Nash 5) Wade

Once the Mavs beat the Spurs and got up 2-0 on the Heat I felt pretty stupid and was sure I had underestimated Dirk, after what happened in the Mavs next ten playoff games, I'm not sure.

I feel like the fact that Nash has not done anything to even make me question my perception of he and the Suns as never being true contenders validates my selections of Shaq and Kobe who have been a part of three of the last five NBA Champions.

I just don't see how someone who doesn't give a chance to be the best team (under any realistic circumstance) as the most valuable player on the team can be the most valuable player in the league.
G.O.A.T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:23 PM   #66
AI3Anthony
A New Era Begins

Oh.. another Rose-MVP thread..
AI3Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #67
B-Rich
I usually hit open layups

I would want to give it to Wade or James, but they would win Co-MVP. So I would give it to either Dirk or Dwight this season. Rose isn't even the most valuable Bull in my opinion. Well he might be, but not by far. Noah seems to bring the life to that team, and the energy. Rose just scores.
B-Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:31 PM   #68
monkeypox
National High School Star

If LeBron didn't already win two in a row I think they would still give it to him. You have to do something godly to get three mvp's in a row. On some level it's like saying his current performance is worth two MVP's only so they're not going to give him any more even if he is the best player in the league.

The MVP is always tricky because there's no set definition on how the award should be given out. It basically come's down to whatever the zeitgeist in the media is, and the theme this year appears to be "the next best thing." Rose is just the safest bet out there for MVP.

I'm not hating on Rose here. He's my favorite player not in a Laker or Clipper uniform (used to be Derron Williams, but some of the stories coming out of Utah have made me drop him a bit). I think is just an amazing talent and I think he plays the game right, without all the stupid games and gimmicks. I like him because he's a great talent, but also because deep down inside I think he's a killer and there seem to be fewer and fewer of those in the league every passing generation.
monkeypox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #69
All Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauk
man all i see u bulls/rose fans is just making butthurt comments

why not give ur insight? WHY DO U THINK ROSE SHOULD WIN THE MVP OVER THOSE GUYS?

TELL ME............. IM VERY CURIOUS TO KNOW....

The only person who is butthurt is you.

You are freaking obessed with Rose, it's freaking sad.
All Net is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:48 PM   #70
FathosRgoodatBJ
Learning to shoot layups

Another DROSE thread, there is no such thing as bad publicity. Jokes on you OP.
FathosRgoodatBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: