Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Default Re: Youngest Person Ever Executed In The US Found Innocent

Quote Originally Posted by PleezeBelieve
    The problem is that American Blacks are not seen on equal status as American Whites by American Whites. So therefore any issues that soley pertain to them are undermined or reduced to cliche anecdotes responses

A fantastic and ridiculous claim. You'll always be left behind with that mentality if you think playing the victim card will get you any sympathy. And this is coming from a Latino with all the opportunities provided to him because he went out there and worked for it and didn't act like a thug or an idiot in the process.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by PleezeBelieve
    It should affect you. American killing innocent Americans based on nothing.

That's the issue... race is hard to talk about because usually it resorts in cliche responses to absolve a crime against a group of people that will take centuries to recover from.

It's a very simple concept to grasp
    I meant if he didnt get over it. Not the part about the killing.

If you want to keep rehashing past grievances it fine that's anyone's right. I just dont see it as productive. Being bitter about anything, really only hurts ones self imo.

That's the issue... race is hard to talk about because usually it resorts in cliche responses to absolve a crime against a group of people that will take centuries to recover from.
    How do you explain the highly successful black people in america today?

Obama
    Holder
    Rice
    Oprah
    etc.

I wouldnt try to absolve slavery or jim crow level racism. But imo most black people dont face that today. I have met many successful black people today. One of the best people I have ever worked for was a Kenyan Immigrant who came to this country and is now very successful.

No offense but the successful black people I have encountered in my personal life and also just in the media (not counting athletes, musicians and celebrities) come off as very positive people. its the same for any group of successful people really. i tend to think harping on negativity is counter productive, but if you want to that is your right.

America is still overall a great country, I claim this because we are a country that has net immigration. Failed countries typically have net emigration (more people leave than choose to come to that country)

People from around the world including africans choose to leave their countries of origin to come to america. its proof that american has advantages over those countries. People are logical, no one chooses to move to a worse situation.

Edit:
    Further, very few americans choose to leave america. This includes african americans. For all of americas faults it doesnt seem to be bad enough to encourage people to abandon their lives to start new ones in other countries.

This is not true for many countries. Eg. Mexico, cuba, much of latin american, middle eastern countries, african countries, asian countries, eastern European countries, etc.

People vote with their feet. A country with net immigration really cant be that bad a country to live in. America has a huge surplus in people choosing to come live here and build lives when compared to the people that choose to leave.
    Last edited by MavsSuperFan; 12-20-2014 at 05:17 PM.

National High School Star

Odd how people claim Blacks should 'get over it' when it comes to Jim Crow Lynchings/ racism , slavery , etc.......but few would dare tell Jews to 'get over The Holocaust.

Slavery/JIM Crow -. -'Get over it'

Holocaust- 'Never forget'

I doubt if I'd ever hear someone in the mainstream say Jews should 'get over the Holocaust' . An event that did not take place in the US.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by 32jazz
    Odd how people claim Blacks should 'get over it' when it comes to Jim Crow Lynchings/ racism , slavery , etc.......but few would dare tell Jews to 'get over The Holocaust.

I doubt if I'd ever hear someone in the mainstream say Jews should 'get over the Holocaust' . An event that did not take place in the US.
    Exactly. Very well said.

Jews don't blame people for what happened decades ago and use it as an excuse for why they fail.

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    Jews don't blame people for what happened decades ago and use it as an excuse for why they fail.
    You're white and you are still failing. God damn.

NBA rookie of the year

To me getting over something doesnt mean to forget it.

Slavery and Jim Crow should never be forgotten. I personally enjoy learning about the history of this country and feel all americans should.

Getting over something to me means to stop being bitter about something. Maybe I am wrong but i get the impression some black people really focus on past grievances and this holds them back.

In regards to jewish people, I would feel the same way to any jews still salty at modern germany. Modern Germany is different from nazi germany and modern american is imo different from jim crow era america.

Remembrance is fine, and even bitterness. (I mean its a free country feel how you want to feel) I just think bitterness is counterproductive

Real question: If america is still as racist today as jim crow era then how did Obama get elected to the presidency?

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan

Slavery and Jim Crow should never be forgotten. I personally enjoy learning about the history of this country and feel all americans should.

Getting over something to me means to stop being bitter about something. Maybe I am wrong but i get the impression some black people really focus on past grievances and this holds them back.

In regards to jewish people, I would feel the same way to any jews still salty at modern germany. Modern Germany is different from nazi germany and modern american is imo different from jim crow era america.

Remembrance is fine, and even bitterness. (I mean its a free country feel how you want to feel) I just think bitterness is counterproductive

Real question: If america is still as racist today as jim crow era then how did Obama get elected to the presidency?
    Obama don't mean shit to be honest. The average black man is still disadvantaged. A black man could be queen and it wouldn't really change that fact.

Very good NBA starter

You can't try to reason with unreasonable people. You got people out here that still can't get over the fact that they were on the losing side of the civil war

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Haha burned. Good one.

You do know that Germany is still paying BILLIONS in reparations to Israel & Jews so they still seem bitter or feel they deserve something ?
    What was so 'bitter' about posting this tragic story? It's a very interesting story from our past that we should 'never forget'-

It seems to Whites just mentioning past atrocities committed against Blacks is being 'bitter' . Its history & should not forgotten, but many seem to wanted run away(Mavsfan seem reasonable so I wasn't specifically attacking you).

History is only a reminder if why we are today & hopefully if we learn from it & it doesn't happen again.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by sweggeh
    Obama don't mean shit to be honest. The average black man is still disadvantaged. A black man could be queen and it wouldn't really change that fact.
    Obama proves that the majority of this country was willing to vote a black man into the highest office.

I dont think everyone that voted against him did it because he was black either.

If you absolutely hate black people and think they are inferior I dont see how you could vote for Obama (a black man) for president.

Being president is the result of winning an election which imo is basically a popularity contest. Obama won by a landslide in terms of electoral votes and won by decent margins (by US standards) in terms of the popular vote. Honestly neither the 2008 or 2012 contest was even competitive.

Before the 2012 election I posted about How easily obama was going to win.

Black people are only about 12.7% of the american population. Even if you get 100% of eligible black voters would would still get blown out without getting support from other groups.

Good college starter

Obama proves that the majority of this country was willing to vote a black man into the highest office.

I dont think everyone that voted against him did it because he was black either.

If you absolutely hate black people and think they are inferior I dont see how you could vote for Obama (a black man) for president.

Being president is the result of winning an election which imo is basically a popularity contest. Obama won by a landslide in terms of electoral votes and won by decent margins (by US standards) in terms of the popular vote. Honestly neither the 2008 or 2012 contest was even competitive.

Before the 2012 election I posted about How easily obama was going to win.

Black people are only about 12.7% of the american population. Even if you get 100% of eligible black voters would would still get blown out without getting support from other groups.
    I don't know what it is like living in America, but if you go to certain towns and places in the UK as a black man, you will get some very strange looks and most likely be the victim of racism. Its still very apparent and out there.

That's why Israel & those of the Jewish faith still demand (& get) billions in reparations from countries like Germany?

You cannot criticize Israel without being accused of being an 'anti Semite' who wants to see 'another holicaust'.

Netanyahu was just complaining recently about how Europe has forgotten the atrocities of the Holocaust because they refuse to walk lock step with his little Apartheid state.

Holocaust-"Never forget'.(although it didn't happen in America)

Slavery /Jim Crow- "get over it'.

NBA rookie of the year

You do know that Germany is still paying BILLIONS in reparations to Israel & Jews so they still seem bitter or feel they deserve something ?
    What was so 'bitter' about posting this tragic story? It's a very interesting story from our past that we should 'never forget'-

It seems to Whites just mentioning past atrocities committed against Blacks is being 'bitter' . Its history & should not forgotten, but many seem to wanted run away(Mavsfan seem reasonable so I wasn't specifically attacking you).

History is only a reminder if why we are today & hopefully if we learn from it & it doesn't happen again.
    Im not referring to this. Just people online who say stuff like "america is still as racist as it every was, it just hides it better"

To me that is illogical and bitter.

It seems to Whites just mentioning past atrocities committed against Blacks is being 'bitter' . Its history & should not forgotten, but many seem to wanted run away
    absolutely people should learn more about history. This case was just one of the many examples of injustices on 1940s america. I mean at least they bothered to have a show trial. In a lot of cases blacks were just killed by mobs. (lynchings).

I would honestly appreciate some concrete examples from black posters about racism they face in their daily lives (not internet related). Is racism really the primary thing holding you back from accomplishing your goals in 2014? (for me personally If I am being honest my primary block is procrastination)

I honestly dont think it would be for most black people today. While I do believe it was in earlier periods of american history. Racism was imo a huge factor until at least the 1980s.