Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-17-2018, 10:33 AM   #1
UK2K
NBA Legend

Default I've accepted a new job.

Put in my two weeks today. I will be moving on to a Logistics and Operations manager position. It's a significant pay raise, and it's a fast growing company. First thing they want me to do is implement an inventory management system... if I can do that, and build a team, when I move again in a year or so, that'll look real ****ing nice on my resume when I am job hunting again.

Still haven't even finished my degree. Ironically, my fiance went to Miami of Ohio (annual tuition: $30,420) and doubled majored in communications and statistics and now I will be making more than she will.

Don't worry, leftists of ISH, you only have to deal with me for another week and a half; I won't be able to post nearly as much during work hours.
UK2K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:38 AM   #2
hold this L
d-y-n-a-s-t-y

Default Re: I've accepted a new job.

Congrats man, good to see ish people moving on up
hold this L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #3
Akrazotile
Banned

Congrats boyeeee! Best of luck with the new challenge. Lookin forward to hearing updates about how it goes and what you end up liking/not liking about it.

Sounds like youll be quite busy, especially at first - just make sure you remember to keep takin care of your health!

Vaya con dios!
Akrazotile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 10:43 AM   #4
UK2K
NBA Legend

A question for those who have done it...

~ How do you handle your two weeks? It's super ****ing awkward now, as my boss and I haven't spoken to each other all morning. Do I pretend like I am going to be here and continue working on holiday issues or...?

~ Also, what am I supposed to do on my last day? Just say 'peace' and dip out or what? I've been here four years now, so I know a lot of people, but I don't like a lot of people. I am still inviting a few from people here to my wedding, but not my boss.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:45 AM   #5
Patrick Chewing
Soldier of God

Good for you! A true success story! The American Dream!

Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:12 AM   #6
highwhey
STRONGMAN

Congrats bro!

what type of logistics company is it?

and lmk what type of system you implement lol. i work for a logistics company as well and have been thinking of improving our system since there are glaring holes in it.
highwhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:19 AM   #7
UK2K
NBA Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwhey
Congrats bro!

what type of logistics company is it?

and lmk what type of system you implement lol. i work for a logistics company as well and have been thinking of improving our system since there are glaring holes in it.

Thanks!

Its not a logistics company, but that will be my primary role. Inventory management and logistics. Since the company is relatively new, a lot of the job will be.... we need this done, figure it out. I googled my way through the first year of this job, so I imagine it'll be similar in that regard.

The company actually has a license for Fishbowl which integrates with Quickbooks, but they aren't using it yet. Basically, when I get on, it's going to be my call, and since the inventory management system we use here now is proprietary, its going to be a whole new ballgame for me.

Really excited about the opportunity, though.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:30 AM   #8
fiddy
Raider of Rampage

30k annually holy shit
fiddy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:46 AM   #9
Long Duck Dong
Local High School Star

Congratulations! Sounds like the company is impressed with you enough, they are going to put this baby in your hands and let you make it your own.

On your old job, I'd force myself to act cheery as possible even though things might feel awkward. You will also probably have to force yourself to concentrate on what you are doing as you have one foot out the door, and your mind is already on the other job. And it probably goes without saying, but you want that handshake with your boss on the last day, thanking him/her for the opportunity. 98% chance you never return, but it's always best to leave with the best impression. Open options, don't burn bridges, and all that.
Long Duck Dong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:04 PM   #10
Lebowsky
Hi, how are you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK2K

~ How do you handle your two weeks? It's super ****ing awkward now, as my boss and I haven't spoken to each other all morning. Do I pretend like I am going to be here and continue working on holiday issues or...?
I keep working business as usual, focusing on closing as many open matters as possible and nicely transferring whatever won't be possible to close to whoever will be handling your stuff after you're gone. If your notice period is just two weeks then I guess you don't have to worry about training your successor or things of this nature.
Quote:
~ Also, what am I supposed to do on my last day? Just say 'peace' and dip out or what? I've been here four years now, so I know a lot of people, but I don't like a lot of people. I am still inviting a few from people here to my wedding, but not my boss.

Just chill out and enjoy the day. Make sure you complete your offboarding checklist properly (returning IT equipment, badges and so forth) and have it signed properly (this varies from company to company though). Last days tend to be rather boring and feel longer than usual for some reason. I normally write and email for those people I do care about in the company on the last day, but that's just me.
Lebowsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:21 PM   #11
hateraid
Is it in you?

Quote:

Work your ass off. You can always use a potential reference in the future. If he's professional enough he won't hold quitting against you

As an employer myself I've never had animosity towards anyone who thought they could progress their careers

Well done my friend! Wish you all the success in the world
hateraid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:53 PM   #12
egokiller
The Mind Fvcker

Hold up, let me put on my logistics and operations hat on (I wear many).

How many direct reports?
How many locations?
is this a distribution center?
You have your own trucks or outsource or both?
Own your own warehouses?

Inventory demand planning is easy. Review several software packages. Have the developers come in and give your team a presentation of their products.
Operations/logistics is no different than Marketing, Sales, R&D, HR, customer serive or any other division in a company. All of it is easy. Good luck and remember if you have questions, ISH has the answers.
egokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:54 PM   #13
stalkerforlife
Free the banned users.

Get a job, OP.
stalkerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 01:01 PM   #14
Lord P
Good High School Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddy
30k annually holy shit
Lol, thatís not even close to how bad it can get.
Lord P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:28 PM   #15
ROCSteady
One of One

ROCSteady is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: